Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leading a couple of Massachusetts riders on a ride at Middlesex on Saturday at 9:00. It will be a 3+ hour ride at an intermediate pace, probably 12-15 miles. After riding it back to back with Case this past weekend I'll say that Middlesex is considerably more difficult to ride than Case. Its definitely one of my favorite places to ride in CT - come out and see why. As an added bonus some of the low bush blueberries are ripe...

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are interested in a pre-ride I was hoping to be there from 7-10ish Saturday. I say hoping because my frame is cracked in half (not a Heckler) and a new Heckler is supposedly en route.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm.

RedMosquito said:
If you are interested in a pre-ride I was hoping to be there from 7-10ish Saturday. I say hoping because my frame is cracked in half (not a Heckler) and a new Heckler is supposedly en route.
5 hours of Middlesex - that sounds interesting. Let me think on it... I'd have to drop from your ride to be back at the parking spot for 9:00.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up meeting RedMosqito, we got riding before 7:00, and hit some of the major stuff. I gotta say that first climb had me questioning the logic of doing a "pre-ride" but after a few miles I loosened up. I broke off from the RM ride just in time to meet Strangeland2 and Woodsguy back at the parking spot. I was fully "warmed up" at this point (read "soaked in sweat"). As they prepared for the ride PMD of Bikerag fame showed up to ride with us. The four of us headed out and did what I consider the "normal" loop - it was freaking hot and humid. I rode for 4.75 hours overall, drank all of my bladder, a huge glass of water, a large coffee and a Naglene bottle of water and never peed once. Finished off with some good chills - the AC in the car never felt so good.

We caught a few pics:

There's this roller, I've looked at it many times - Strangeland2 and Woodsguy hit it amazingly well (bastages):

A small launch in the woods (the pics of Strangeland2 and Woodsguy didn't come out in my camera):

Roller (I _think_ this feature is known as Sunset Rock, but I'm not sure):

Messing around on the rock:

Strangeland2 couldn't resist hitting the roller by the cars:

All in all a great ride, we had a blast, even if we had to bag out on the last couple of miles, it was just too hot and humid.

John

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great ride today. Some really great rock features. And that huge cliff ride was nuts! The humid 90 deg temp did a number on me though. I was hurting with all those climbs.

Anyway here is my gps info and below are my pics.

Attachments

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anytime!

CB2 said:
Rats! I wish I check this board 3 days ago. I'd love to check it out, but made plans for a 7:00 AM ride in E. Granby, heading South into Pennwood.
I love Middlesex - and there's a double loop I gotta do out there (when its not so hot). Let me know when you want to hit it.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huh...

CB2 said:
Wow, thats a lot of climbing!
Comparing your GPS readings with ones I've got in the past, that's more ft/per mile than anywhere I've ridden in CT, including Nassahegan, Case, and Pennwood to Granby.
Nice.
That must be why our average speed was under 5 MPH!

·
Registered
502 Posts
You have to remember that that was my average, not yours! I was hurting on the climbs. And again, it didn't help that it was a very humid 90 degrees. Plus, there were no high speed sections to off set the steep climbs.

That was alot of climbing. Funny thing tho is that it wasn't as much as I did at Sutton on Friday and that place feels like there are no climbs at all. FOMBA was more climbing too and that too doesn't feel nearly as tough (but both were longer).

I stopped the gps whenever we stopped so the averages would be for just when we were moving. However, I did forget to turn it back on a couple of times. But those were limited to short sections. You can spot them as straight sections on the map.

I was thinking about how you thought it was longer. We were out for a little more than 2 hours but you have to remember all the stops we did. The 10 mins at the drop, 10 mins for the roller, 10 mins at the top to catch our breath, 5 mins for that other roller, and 10 mins for Andrew's flat. That all adds up. Our ride time was only 90mins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.