Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm currently riding a 4 year old set of Race Face Next LP cranks with 125g (or so) BB - I cannot remember the brand - FMR, perhaps? - along with Token Ti crank bolts and a Suguino chainring (cheap but light when I ordered it - no pins.ramps etc.)

I've been reviewing the crank threads, and it seems a lighter/better upgrade may be the Middleburn cranks running at about 490g with a light external bearing BB (100-110 grams or so).

Any suggestions for a different set of cranks or BB? I don't want to pay 500.00 for the Extralite set; however, I can still pay a decent amount. I ride a Rohloff Speedhub, so I only need one front ring - cranks must not be an issue with the Rohloff.

In short, I'm a XC rider at 175lbs or so (who does no jumping/drop offs etc.) who needs a crank set, external bearing BB, and front chain ring. I would like to save a good deal of weight over the complete set I currently have. I would like to spend less than 400.00 complete, if possible.

Stephen

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you insist on having external bearings then the middleburn cranks are not an option, they are isis or square taper only. That's isn't necessarily a bad if you have a really good bottom bracket already that isn't giving you any problems then I say stick with it, I don't think you have much to gain by switching to external bearings. There is rumor of external bearing crankset coming from middleburn, but who knows how true that is or when it will happen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which to buy?

I see your point. I was simply going to buy the Extralite crank/BB combo, but I'm reconsidering the price. I do want to remain light, however.

I see many cranks options listed in various posts. I think my Race Face Next LP weigh 620 grams or so and the BB is 120 or so. What crank and BB set up (internal or external) would save me a good deal of weight? the Extralites would save quite a bit - what else is there?

SDW

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm sorry Rockman but I wouldn’t recommend buying a second hand set of Cobalt cranks. I broke four sets when I was doing a magazine review on them and would hate to see someone lose out by paying cash for them.
I weigh 140lbs and ride XC so they didn’t cop too much of a hiding.
If you don't believe me then why are they suddenly absent from the CB product line?

·
Registered
942 Posts
What size single ring do you need? If it's available in the spiderless configuration for middleburn cranks then that option may be lighter...even then I doubt it. I think you'll find your Next LP crankarms are closer to 420grams than 620grams.

If you're happy with your setup now in terms of stiffness stick with it.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
JHwick said:
I'm sorry Rockman but I wouldn’t recommend buying a second hand set of Cobalt cranks. I broke four sets when I was doing a magazine review on them and would hate to see someone lose out by paying cash for them.
I weigh 140lbs and ride XC so they didn’t cop too much of a hiding.
If you don't believe me then why are they suddenly absent from the CB product line?
Oh, I believe you. I hope you gave them a bad review. I bought them partially based (but mostly because they looked cool with the stainless steel wrap) on a 100% positive review in BIKE. Stupid me:p Where was your review when I was impulse buying:rolleyes:

This is a new set after two previous warranty replacements. The CB guy said it was hit or miss and related to quality control during the glueing process. As little as a spec of dust was the culprit and resultant failure. Some were on their 2nd or 3rd season and others were like you and me. Perhaps a light rider would have better luck. At any rate, at least the failure was more of a rubbery nature and not catastrophic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, they got a negative review — how could it be otherwise after four failures! I figure many magazines review things after one test ride round the carpark but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Race Face Next LP weight?

Oh. I thought I'd seen a post with the 620g listed for the crank and star weight? If they are indeed 420g, then I really just need a great isis BB. Are you sure the older Next LP cranks (3-4 years old) are 420g?

I'm wanting to change my current set up mainly due to the noise - I'm on my 3rd light BB currently. So, which light, isis BB is going to make no noise and come in at 100 or so grams? I would luch rather spend my extra cash on a great and light BB - phil wood, chris king, hope?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
swalters said:
Oh. I thought I'd seen a post with the 620g listed for the crank and star weight? If they are indeed 420g, then I really just need a great isis BB. Are you sure the older Next LP cranks (3-4 years old) are 420g?

I'm wanting to change my current set up mainly due to the noise - I'm on my 3rd light BB currently. So, which light, isis BB is going to make no noise and come in at 100 or so grams? I would luch rather spend my extra cash on a great and light BB - phil wood, chris king, hope?

Thanks,

Stephen
The 400g-ish is a pretty good figure for just the cranks. My stock NEXT square tapers came in at 655g Then I replaced the steel bolts, and some of the rings.

That puts the crankarms and the spider in the 400-410g in my case.

JmZ

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
swalters said:

Thanks,

Stephen
Compact/ISIS Next LP's are right at 400g:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=crankarms

You could make them considerably lighter with alloy bolts, and new light rings in 2x9 setup (29 or 30t middle ring).

Can't really help you on the BB, but I know it's virtually impossible to find a reliable, light ISIS BB....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to ditch the Next LPs

Hello again,

Yeah, that has been my issue with the ISIS BB. I've enjoyed the LP cranks, however, but it is time to move on.

With that in mind, what stiff, light cranks with outborad bearings are a good suggestion? I was thinking of beefing up the outboard bearings of any external set up with Phil Wood outborad bearings, which might help the issue with unrleiable outborad bearings. Remember, I am 174lbs and ride XC only.

What crank set up would be best - an all in one (E-Bones)? Or a seperate crank and BB set up? If so, which ones. I would like to stay at a weight comparable to my LP's and Token Ti BB. I do already have Token Ti cranks bolts, and as I mentioned before, only use one 38T chainring with my Rohloff Speedhub. A good suggestion for a light chainring (does not have to be highly durbale one, as I do not shift upfront) would be great too. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on the e-bones. I can go used as well, if some one has an idea

Thanks again,

Stephen

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not aware of any Isis bb in that weight range. The American classic is 140 and the nicest token about the same, for the most durability you can get the titanium crank brothers which is in the 170's. Those are the major options for lightweight Isis, but nothing I've seen is below 140 by much.

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
Ok this is at least the second thread you have dug up to spam your cranks, just buy an ad already, or are you trying to pull a nino?

And you would have gotten away with it if you had just pmed the op instead of bumping the thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts