Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to convince myself that I need new cranks for the Spider I have on order. I'm trying to keep the build around 26lbs, so I need to stay with something on the light side. I'm using a Boone 20t and a Extralite 32t rings with a 56 gram guard. I was going to use something I already have, FSA carbon team arms or TruVativ Stylo team arms (a bit heavier), but after seeing Padre's cranks on his Quiring, I'm thinking different now. I'm using 4 bolt rings and had planned on a ISIS BB. I also like the colored spider option on the Middleburn.

Any opinions, good or bad, on the Middleburn cranks? Pictures? I'm thinking black arms/blue spider. I've got more blue bit I'll be using on the build.

Steve

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
cruzthepug said:
I'm trying to convince myself that I need new cranks for the Spider I have on order. I'm trying to keep the build around 26lbs, so I need to stay with something on the light side. I'm using a Boone 20t and a Extralite 32t rings with a 56 gram guard. I was going to use something I already have, FSA carbon team arms or TruVativ Stylo team arms (a bit heavier), but after seeing Padre's cranks on his Quiring, I'm thinking different now. I'm using 4 bolt rings and had planned on a ISIS BB. I also like the colored spider option on the Middleburn.

Any opinions, good or bad, on the Middleburn cranks? Pictures? I'm thinking black arms/blue spider. I've got more blue bit I'll be using on the build.

Steve
I've got a pair of new 180mm custom black anodized ISIS Middleburn cranks waiting for me to mount them up to a triple or a duo (or both for various situations). The Duo inner ring spiders are both out of stock at the moment - so I will probably not get a chance to put it all together and take photos until next year. I bought the cranks on eBay because they made sense to try a 180mm length and have the options of 5 arm, 4 arm, duo, triple, uno with a mix of spider and ring colors/combinations. Original intent is for midwest singletrack racing on my Dos or KM where a Duo set up would be ideal for me.

Chainreaction.com has a nice way to customize your crankset online:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3343

If you do a search on the SS forum or the Everything Drivetrain forum you will find pictures, opinions, comments, reviews, etc... of all matters Middleburn. Pretty handsome cranks and the ability to dial in the gearing you want (20-22-24T granny's, 29-32-34 T middlerings (depending on Duo or Triple), 42 or 44T big rings, Uno, Duo or Triple, square taper or ISIS, etc...).

BB

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have a pair of the Middleburns and love them. I went with 5-bolt 94/58 but run 44/32/22 and I have no issues or concerns. I wanted the compact drive spider for option to run smaller gears but have not found the need to. I'm at 175 and these cranks are as still as can be. I went with ISIS BB which was a moment of weakness - I would have prefered square tapered but was concerned about how hard they might be to find in a few years. My RF taper lock has 6 years on it now!

No creaks, no complaints, nothing and I've put some big miles on these in the short time that I've had them.

M

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts