Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a square taper Middleburn crankset I am going to install and it uses their self-extracting crank bolts.

Is a specail tool required to screw in the threaded "cap" that screws into the crank arm after the washer and crank bolt are installed? The cap has six tiny indents in it that looks like a tool would fit into them. Should loctite be used to hold the cap in the crank arms?

Thanks!

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
I have a square taper Middleburn crankset I am going to install and it uses their self-extracting crank bolts.

Is a specail tool required to screw in the threaded "cap" that screws into the crank arm after the washer and crank bolt are installed? The cap has six tiny indents in it that looks like a tool would fit into them. Should loctite be used to hold the cap in the crank arms?

Thanks!
This should work:

Shimano TL FC20

I wouldn't use loctite. It would make removing the dustcaps hard, and they really don't need to be loctited for pulling the cranks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect! I have one of those. One more dumb question; does the little copper washer go between the bolt and the dust cap? The Middleburn tech page isn't very helpful.

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
I screwed in the "caps" with a 2-mm or 1.5-mm (don't remember) hex wrench, no loctite.

However, I began to hate those bolts when I could not tighten them enough to let go of the creaking noises. This was because of the 6-mm socket. Then I pulled them off and installed some 8-mm socketed bolts (not self-extracting) and all was quiet since then.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Careful, these bolts when not installed perfectly will cause a lot of creaking noises. I used them for about 2 rides and then put the old fashioned crank bolts back in because the Middleburns were creaking so bad from these self-extracting bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.