Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at using a 2x9 29t 20t combo soon

I like Middleburn and have seen it mentioned this option is possible. I've looked on their site but can't find how 29/20t combination is made up

Anyone seen or know how this can be done?

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I run a 2x9 with a 20/30 with middleburns 94/58- they have been ab-fab
I run their rings too. I have used a 29t in the past, but it was a salsa ring, and I don't think they are producing it any more.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D3DO said:
I run a 2x9 with a 20/30 with middleburns 94/58- they have been ab-fab
I run their rings too. I have used a 29t in the past, but it was a salsa ring, and I don't think they are producing it any more.
Yeah, I think I'll go 20/30 too.

I'm trying to viualise your set-up. Do you have a 5 arm spider which the 20t attaches to and then the 30t piggy backs on that?

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I have a triple spider- using the outer ring to run a bashguard
I believe middleburn makes a 2x specific spider though-
Purchased my stuff from MTB tandem as mentioned above, they are great ship quick, etc-
You can also find middleburns at chainreactioncycles in the UK, I wanted someone state side incase I had a problem.
I run Middleburn rings with slickshift and ramp/pinned options- they have been great. I have used the non-slciks shiftt stuff, it is definately worth the extra $$ to up grade.

What length you lookin for?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D3DO said:
I have a triple spider- using the outer ring to run a bashguard
I believe middleburn makes a 2x specific spider though-
Purchased my stuff from MTB tandem as mentioned above, they are great ship quick, etc-
You can also find middleburns at chainreactioncycles in the UK, I wanted someone state side incase I had a problem.
I run Middleburn rings with slickshift and ramp/pinned options- they have been great. I have used the non-slciks shiftt stuff, it is definately worth the extra $$ to up grade.

What length you lookin for?
Jeesz! Middleburn's site is very confusing. MTB Tandem is much clearer. It lists the 29er special trilple set which you can see clearly. To make things worse Middleburn's site don't list a 20t 4-ARM Chainring :madman:

So, you have the 4-ARM XC Spider on yours? Pic below

CRC list all this stuff seperately so I need to know exactly to oder

Attachments

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Jeesz! Middleburn's site is very confusing. MTB Tandem is much clearer. It lists the 29er special trilple set which you can see clearly. To make things worse Middleburn's site don't list a 20t 4-ARM Chainring :madman:

So, you have the 4-ARM XC Spider on yours? Pic below

CRC list all this stuff seperately so I need to know exactly to oder
If you want a 20t granny that's not a custom you'll need the 5 arm 94mm/58mm spider. There are only a few special 4 arm 20t grannies made. Get the 94mm/58mm spider and you'll be able to buy 20t grannies from lots of chainring makers.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
you need the spider below the one you have pictured, the 5 bolt spider that is "compact drive".
The chainrings are under "compact drive"- if you scroll down from the first set of rings, there is a 2nd graph with a 20t and 30t rings.

I do agree that it is not the best website.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monte said:
If you want a 20t granny that's not a custom you'll need the 5 arm 94mm/58mm spider. There are only a few special 4 arm 20t grannies made. Get the 94mm/58mm spider and you'll be able to buy 20t grannies from lots of chainring makers.
Thanks Monte, I had just about got there (didn't want to post in case I was wrong again :blush: )

That 4-ARM is on the triple set with 22t granny, but when it goes to 20t you need the 5 bolt option (like you say the 5 arm 94mm/58mm spider)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
D3DO said:
you need the spider below the one you have pictured, the 5 bolt spider that is "compact drive".
The chainrings are under "compact drive"- if you scroll down from the first set of rings, there is a 2nd graph with a 20t and 30t rings.

I do agree that it is not the best website.
Cheers for that :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Fatback
706 Posts
Middleburn will be offering a 29 tooth chainring in the near future-the testing is done. If you go with the 58/94 spider, you can get whatever combo you'd like. Also, Action Tec makes a ti 20t ring in 4 bolt 64, but you might have to grind the spider down to clear the chain. PM me if you're interested, as I carry all of these.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thirstywork said:
Middleburn will be offering a 29 tooth chainring in the near future-the testing is done. If you go with the 58/94 spider, you can get whatever combo you'd like. Also, Action Tec makes a ti 20t ring in 4 bolt 64, but you might have to grind the spider down to clear the chain. PM me if you're interested, as I carry all of these.
Thanks for that heads up. Look forward to it

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Thanks for that heads up. Look forward to it
Boone can make you a set of Ti 20T and Ti 29T for the 58/94 BCD. I've got them on my Race Face Next LP cranks in a triple set. The Boone 29T is a beautiful ramped ring with perfect shifting.

If you were running the 29T as your granny, you wouldn't need a ramped ring - but you need it for your shifting since it will be your "large" ring. What kind of a cassette will you be running in the rear to go with your 20/29 or 20/30 2 x 9?

BB

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Boone can make you a set of Ti 20T and Ti 29T for the 58/94 BCD. I've got them on my Race Face Next LP cranks in a triple set. The Boone 29T is a beautiful ramped ring with perfect shifting.
How much for the rings and how long did it take for you to get them?

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
BruceBrown said:

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
BruceBrown said:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
D3DO said:
Not sure how much they are going for in 2009. According to the site, the 20T is $32 and the 29T is a special order item and should be between $86 - 150.

How long will it take? Don't know as it always has to do with their backlog. If you go to their web page for ordering link below....

http://www.booneti.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

....you will be met with these words:

Chainring and Cog Ordering Page

Please note that chainring and cog orders are currently not being taken while Brett has a chance to catch up on production.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience.

One would have to check in from time to time to see when orders are being taken again.

Action-tec is another ordering source and they list the 29T at $115 and the 20T is $45 or $75 (the 75 is for the heat treated Ti ring). Again - check with the source for "how long?" questions.

BB

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BruceBrown said:

If you were running the 29T as your granny, you wouldn't need a ramped ring - but you need it for your shifting since it will be your "large" ring. What kind of a cassette will you be running in the rear to go with your 20/29 or 20/30 2 x 9?

BB
Aahh! How could I have forgotten about the Boone Ti's! And as the "large" ring it'll look the DB's too :cornut:

Think I'm going 11x34 out back. Was looking at Actiontec's 36t inboard of the cassette and going 1x9, but that might be too much to expect. The 29t (or 30) and 20t granny will have all the bases covered

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.