Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a 1x9 drive train on my EMD and taking Rainman's experience and advise into account, I installed a Middleburn 26t chain ring on my Race face Atlas crank.

In order for the ring to clear the chain stay I had to add an extra 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB shell and now I can't get the crank bolt bottomed out as required.

The extra spacer doesn't allow you do tighten the arm down all the way and the cranks bind up way too tight. Anyone else try this on the EMD and if so did you find a solution?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
onepivot said:
I've been running a 1x9 drive train on my EMD and taking Rainman's experience and advise into account, I installed a Middleburn 26t chain ring on my Race face Atlas crank.

In order for the ring to clear the chain stay I had to add an extra 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB shell and now I can't get the crank bolt bottomed out as required.

The extra spacer doesn't allow you do tighten the arm down all the way and the cranks bind up way too tight. Anyone else try this on the EMD and if so did you find a solution?
Remember ... I tested this 26 tooth setup on a Shimano XT crankset.

I haven't tested it on any other crankset, so you are "going where no man has gone before".

Do you absolutely need the added spacer so wide? I'm thinking that maybe you can get it to all work if you decrease the size of the spacer?

Possible?

R.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Isn't the Atlas a 104/64? To run a 26T, you're mounting it on the 64 BCD inner mount? The BB Shell on the EMD9 is 68mm - so can't you just take a spacer from the non-drive side and move it over to the drive side?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duh. After I posted I went out & took a good long look and determined that yes, I can remove the spacer on the non-drive side to gain the clearance. Problem solved.

Two days of 16 hour shifts can make a dude's brain soft :)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
onepivot said:
Duh. After I posted I went out & took a good long look and determined that yes, I can remove the spacer on the non-drive side to gain the clearance. Problem solved.

Two days of 16 hour shifts can make a dude's brain soft :)
LOL !

Excellent... :thumbsup:

Please let me know what you think of the 26 x 11-34 setup after you have tried it for a few rides.

I've had no problems with mine so far.

R.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Correct, but it's not a huge amount. Not noticeable when pedalling.

Many people run assymetric cranks without ever knowing it.

R.

mvi said:
Are your cranks not asymetrical in the frame now? I mean left side closer to the frame?

·
Good For You
407 Posts
Rainman said:
Correct, but it's not a huge amount. Not noticeable when pedalling.

Many people run assymetric cranks without ever knowing it.

R.
Correct. This probaly applies to other BB spindles as well but, the longer spindle version of XTR's splined BB (118mm I think) only extends the drive side creating an offset Q-factor. Negligible when riding.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Whoah, 26t ring is quite the climbing gear eh?

On my EMD, I'm currently on a 34t FSA Gossamer compact road crank (which fits the EMD perfectly due to the narrow chainstays). Unfortunately bolting down FSA's flaky non-drive side arm has been a problem over the years so I'm looking for a new setup.

I'm actually thinking of running a Middleburn uno 32t setup with SKF BB. I don't have any climbs longer than 30+ min climbs so my current gearing is fine for a short SS-like grunts, but still allows for 30+ kph top speed.

The question is if a road crankset will fit on the EMD, can I fit a road sized 108mm ISIS BB with a Middleburn Uno 32t to keep a narrow Q-factor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.