Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wonderin about middle yancey, is it passable, where does it come out and how hard is it?

i've rode long yancey and short yancey before they destroyed it and always wondered were that trail went and what its like. will appreciate any help that anyone could give

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Where the long/middle branch out from the short (at the big turn at the bottom of the little descent part) is where trail maintenance seems to have ended a while ago. I'm pretty sure that there are downed trees still across the trail from hurricane ivan, its definitely rideable but a little frustrating. I did see that someone had a chainsaw fairly deep in there not too long ago though, so we may be in luck.

Just so that we're clear, when you say destroyed, do you mean when they "destroyed" it several years back from logging, or just last year when they graveled off a bunch of the backside, graded out all the water bars, destroyed all the 8 ft high berms, gated off both ends of the descent, and generally face****ed the trail into oblivion?

If you mean the former rather than the latter, you'll be in for a surprise the next time you're out riding it. Its still a good bang for the buck trail when I just want to go pedal for an hour or two after work, but the only time I'm on that trail anymore for a good trail experience is when I'm using it to connect to other trails around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i rode when it was untouched. then i went back to it a while ago and got there and realized what had happened to the trail and that they had graveled it off and there wasn't a good short easy spin anymore in wilson.

wilson is getting discovered and now they are trying do develop the area when it shouldn't be developed

is middle about the same as short yancey used to be? and does it still come out on the same road short did

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SB173Koach said:
i rode when it was untouched. then i went back to it a while ago and got there and realized what had happened to the trail and that they had graveled it off and there wasn't a good short easy spin anymore in wilson.
Yeah, a little part of me died the month that I rode out there and saw all the machinery... If you rode it after they'd graveled and put up gates, then its still the same. Inexplicably they stopped graveling and grading about 1/3 of the way down the backside descent.

The middle loop is a bit more mileage (I htink 14 or so as opposed to short loop's 9ish) and I haven't riddden it this season. I did ride long though, the entire section past the turn to which I alluded in my earlier post is overgrown and underridden, but if you're familiar with wilson (particularly right there by grandfather as opposed to the 181 side) then you know that's nothing new or to scare you off the trail. It should pop you out further down on the same road (roseboro).

That's not so true about the no good pedaling loop thing though, there is wilson's ridge/schoolhouse just a little bit further in the forest, you can park at the bottom and ride up about 3 miles to the trailhead, then you can descend to a bit beneath the car and ride back. Its not too dissimilar in mileage and elevation profile from middle yancey but gives a lot more singletrack riding for your effort.

It still sucks about the trail destruction and development, and I think you're bang-on with the prediction that there's more to come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what else in in wilsons besides the popular (yanceys, schoolhouse, woodruff, wilsons ridge)

heard a friend talk about a chesnut mountain ride, said its great but i looked on the mab and found chesnut but there was no trail have. you heard of this one or any more lesser known rides in wilsons?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SB173Koach said:
what else in in wilsons besides the popular (yanceys, schoolhouse, woodruff, wilsons ridge)

heard a friend talk about a chesnut mountain ride, said its great but i looked on the mab and found chesnut but there was no trail have. you heard of this one or any more lesser known rides in wilsons?
There are tons of trails in wilsons, a lot of the variations and local trails near the parkway side aren't good to put on the net, if you haven't ridden down on the 181 side of wilsons, there're plenty of trails there that are lesser known and more fun (IMHO) than anything up here. Raspberry, greentown, headley, beehive, raiders camp, ripshin, bark house, etc... Some of those are on the map, look me up if you're in the area and I'll show you around on some of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.