Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Middle tread imperfection?

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  eatdrinkride 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!

New member here, and quite new to mountain biking as well...
I have a quick question about this new tyre I bought online, a Schwalbe Magic Mary. How perfect does the middle tread have to be?
As you can see in the attached image, the central weld of the tyre is not perfect, and so the middle tread is not perfectly aligned, not perfectly rectangular. I'm probably being a little too obsessive about it, but still, should I return it and get a replacement?
My front tyre is also a Magic Mary, almost new, and perfect in terms of the weld; the rear one needed replacing...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If that's the only thing wrong I wouldn't worry about it. When installed and inflated, spin the wheel to see if there is there is any wobble or indication there is a deeper problem. If not I would ride it.

#17 ·
Youre good...that tire isn't.

If it's a hastle to return it, I'd just ride ride it. Probably wouldn't be an issue. If I was buying off the rack, no way I'd pick that tire.
I figured I'd do that and see how it behaves, but just in case, I ordered another one. They're not that expensive, and I'd have to get a new one some next year anyway...

#6 ·
I just bought a used 2019 Slash 8. It was shipped to me so I had to assemble some of it.

My repair rack was downstairs and was too lazy to go get it so I just turned it upside down. After finally installing the chain, I spun the back wheel to check shifting.

At a certain speed the bike jumps up and down with the seat almost wanting to leave the ground. Is the tire out-of-round like some large 4x4 tires can be? It's the stock xr4 that came with the bike. Do people balance bike tires or does it not matter?

#7 ·
^^^
People do not balance bike tires. At least the people I know, lol.

You could try the same test with no tire on the rim. Maybe the rim is the culprit. Maybe the tire is heavy on one end. Maybe there is dried tubeless sealant all balled up inside the tire in one area causing imbalance. Maybe a combination of all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.