Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of eating middle rings! I'm a 220# aggressive XC rider so I put a bit of stress on them. I have tried Raceface and FSA 32t rings and dont get more that a couple of months out of them at best. Need suggestions on a good middle ring that would last, (gasp) a whole season. Are the Salsa rings any good? How about Blackspire, or the Truvative steel rings? I'm thinking a steel ring would last longer that the recycled beer can versions out there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Ive had good luck with the

zon said:
I'm tired of eating middle rings! I'm a 220# aggressive XC rider so I put a bit of stress on them. I have tried Raceface and FSA 32t rings and dont get more that a couple of months out of them at best. Need suggestions on a good middle ring that would last, (gasp) a whole season. Are the Salsa rings any good? How about Blackspire, or the Truvative steel rings? I'm thinking a steel ring would last longer that the recycled beer can versions out there. Any thoughts?
Salsa and Truvativ steel rings. Still goin strong.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You are an animal.

Might want to reevaluate how you are using your gears. Maybe make a conscious effort to use the big ring when upshifting and granny when going down. If you are blowing through a middle ring in 2-3 months then you are:
1) riding a boatload of miles
2) really putting alot of effort into a pedal stroke
3) not using your other rings as much as you might

the first is great, the second and third may be damaging your knees.

I used to use the middle ring for everything. Never got out of it in fact. Now that I use the other rings more I find that I am able to ride more efficiently. Might not be your issue but it is a thought...

(edit: just reread your post - this is probably not your issue - leaving it here for someone that might need it)

·
get up n jump
243 Posts
imo

I too am a heavy fella at 210 lbs. Although I would not consider myself aggresive. More like just trying to survive. I went through Race Face garbage for years before I finally decided I was sick of the "beer can" crap. I bought my middle and granny ring from Cycle Dynamics. So far I love them. I have had no problems at all. Plus they are great guys to deal with.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/

But this is just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
oooh... ti bling on the chainring.
Tasty!
Do you think the ti chainring cuts down on chain suckage?

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) riding a boatload of miles
And the answer is!! Plus I think I have settled for cheap chainrings cause I a tightwad. i have sent CycleDynamics an email to get a price quote on the bling ring and have located a Deore steel ring at a LBS. My guess is that tightwad will win this one and I will end up with steel.

·
get up n jump
243 Posts
chain suckage

Well that is a tough question. I had the pleasure of putting these on a new frame because the old one broke. I now have a Fuel that from the little research I have done are prone to chainsuck. I get a little, but I know which gears it happens in and adjust my shifting.

But as for the bling ti rings. One of the best purchases ever. They are excellent craftmanship and smooth shifting. And the best part have lasted longer than any other ring I have owned.
:D

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Deore steel middle lasted me (a 200# masher) a couple years of moderate mileage with no big ring (33# bike w/ bash guard). Just ordered another, and at ~$15 ea., you can buy a bunch for the price of a Ti ring. Shifting quality seems fine to me. My $0.02,
- Joe

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm using a Cycle Dynamic ti middle ring too. It's about the only bling on my bike (OK, Thompson seatpost), and it's mighty nice. Now how do I sneak a CD ti cassette past my wife? Damn tuition payments!

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you jump a tooth? What does the wear look like? The chainring wears, but the chain and rear cassette are still okay??? Sounds like your chainring is the wrong pitch.
No jumping, slight chain suck on middle ring is first sign it's wearing. Usually will see "cupping" on the buisness side of a few teeth and some burs working over to the sides of the teeth. Cassette and chain are perfect, It just looks like the alunimum on the chainring cant take the stress and is deforming under torque. Granny ring is stainless and virgin looking and big ring is Al but looks only slightly used, probably cause it is.

·
Registered
448 Posts
do you change chain w/sprocket?

zon said:
No jumping, slight chain suck on middle ring is first sign it's wearing. Usually will see "cupping" on the buisness side of a few teeth and some burs working over to the sides of the teeth. Cassette and chain are perfect, It just looks like the alunimum on the chainring cant take the stress and is deforming under torque. Granny ring is stainless and virgin looking and big ring is Al but looks only slightly used, probably cause it is.
since they wear together it maybe a good idea.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my new Deore middle ring was just delivered, sweet piece of engineering. The steel definitely gives it a "sturdy" feel. Will be slapping it on tonight and breaking it in tomorrow. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.