Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday I had the opportunity to log out the Middle Fork trail with a very cool North Bend local, Bill. We worked from the Digford gate up to where the trail turns to railroad grade about a half mile from Rock creek. The section of the trail from Dingford down has been taken on by another group. So besides some big hazard trees the trail is almost obstacle free. There is some work to be done a quarter mile above Goldmyer and down the trail to Thunder Creek which is where we come in http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=9366 After this work party the corridor will be almost completely opened up and well brushed in the upper section.
See photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108864700595457694700/MiddleForkSnoqualmieTrail?authkey=Gv1sRgCKD81ZLT-K5k#

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
How's the access road, I was reading a few weeks ago it was in really bad shape and only accessible by 4x4. Still the case?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I read the post I knew exactly the Bill you referred to. A wealth of info available from that man!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get up to the Dingford gate in my 2wd xterra with no problems and the road from Dingford up to Goldmyer is in similar shape. It is a little rough in some sections, but not bad.

Yes, Bill is a great man with tons of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
not quite ready

I was up there Tuesday night. I rode from the MF trailhead up to the aforementioned railroad grade beyond Dingford, then returned to Dingford and took the road back to MF trailhead.

Of the ~ 6 miles from MF to Dingford, the first 2 miles of trail east of MF trailhead are in decent shape. The next 2 miles are not; I had 20 dismounts in that 2 mile stretch, half of them easy step-overs and half of them fairly difficult. The last 2 miles to Dingford aren't too bad, maybe 10 dismounts there.

There are some nice stretches on this trail, but I won't be going back anytime soon. The persistent dismounting gets pretty annoying to me.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I was up there Tuesday night. I rode from the MF trailhead up to the aforementioned railroad grade beyond Dingford, then returned to Dingford and took the road back to MF trailhead.

Of the ~ 6 miles from MF to Dingford, the first 2 miles of trail east of MF trailhead are in decent shape. The next 2 miles are not; I had 20 dismounts in that 2 mile stretch, half of them easy step-overs and half of them fairly difficult. The last 2 miles to Dingford aren't too bad, maybe 10 dismounts there.

There are some nice stretches on this trail, but I won't be going back anytime soon. The persistent dismounting gets pretty annoying to me.
Give it a try later, that section gets a fair amount of attention from the FS and other groups.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for the updates on this one. I'll be waiting until later in the summer for this one just because when I went last summer my experience was similar to that of InertiaMan.

·
Last word is all yours...
1,091 Posts
So most of the dismounts were blowdown? What percentage of those would have been reasonable to take out with a hand saw?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Will have full report tomorrow. There's some crazy blowdowns and parts of the trail will soon be in the river. We gat lots of pics and some crazy video. The hot springs are great.

·
Registered
415 Posts
MiddleFork Areas I Think Need a Chainsaw as of 6-5-2011

My gpx track is attached and shows "areas" where trees are down. Its usually a handful of trees represented per area. We started at 9am and finished 12 hours later so be kind as I took this shortcut to spend more time sawing. Anything I could get with the 18" handsaw that wasn't next to a monster I tried to take out.

Many of the monster sized ones are from last year but there some really big new surprises.

We tried to get the "twig" sized stuff out of the way and my signature is a 4 line "claw" in the top of the cut.

Enjoy but beware MF is not close to clear now...

(yet great weekend and riding and friends and weather! AND BP's cuts near Dingford were inspirational)

And bring your 18" handsaw next trip...
(Corona at McClendons and Fiskar at Home Depot).

Best scabbard I've found seems to be Ben Meadows... (thanks Evergeen for tip!) Mine arrives this week and thank goodness as my canvas scabbard belt loop failed this PM.

Len

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Here We Go....

Pics here
http://gallery.me.com/dave.schuldt#100411

BIG THANKS TO THE GOLDMYER PEOPLE FOR LETTING US STAY THERE AND RIDING OUT TO UNLOCK THE GATE! Please consider giving them a few bucks.
http://www.goldmyer.org/

Brian and I picked up Mikes' gear at the main lot and drove to Dingford while mike rode, Jeff was right on time with the key. Got camp set up and went for a soak. Kicked Brian and Mike out of their tents at 7, worked on trail by camp until Len, Peter and Glen rode up. Brian drove Len, Peter and Glen to the top so they could work down. Mike and I stated working up, brushing and preping. Brian cut up 3 blowdowns in the first 1/4 mile. I turned around farther up while Mike and Brian hit the river to cool down. They met the guys coming down and Peter and Len rode back to the main lot. We then went for a soak and crashed hard. Sunday we packed up and I took off riding down the trail cutting and cleaning up here and there. Mike rode down later while Brian got the car out to Dingford and rode back up the trail to Goldmyer and down the road.

Is the trail worth riding?
I think so, there's nothing else like it. once the small stuff is cleared it wont be so bad. We fought hard to get access so lets ride and work it. Lots of water including a knee deep crossing of Thunder Creek. Easier with 2 or more so you can pass bikes.

Foot logs over Burnt Boot Creek made it through the winter. Some of the blowdowns will need to be blasted. Where the trail is on the edge walk in the brush. The section by the river we worked on last year is still there and flows great.

Road is bad news, allow plenty of extra time. Plenty of regular cars up there but Subaru or bigger would be bust. Word is road from Taylor to Dingford will be closed all of July for work. Plans ot pave to Taylor river age in the works.

·
Registered
415 Posts
8/8/6 on 6/5/11

If I count correctly on my fingers the trees areas documented are 8 between lower mf th and dingford creek, 8 between dingford creek and goldmyer, and 6 between Goldmyer and the upper th. Note this is a conservative accounting but should give you the flavor of what you will get on your next wilderness like experience to this grand temple. If someone does come cutting let me know and I'll tick em off and update.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
What's the number on local mt. bike volunteers who are dialed into Fed Forest Service Chainsaw Certification?

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
It is kind of funny, but i have never heard of the public getting certified by the fs to cut trees. here in idaho you got saw, go cut.

·
Registered
415 Posts
2 of 6 Tree's down from Upper TH

Tree21 is the first one you hit coming down the trail. (shot with Peter chipping away)
A "regular" chansaw could take this out no problem. It runs down the trail and would need about 4 or 5 cuts.

I think the next two photos are of the same big tree I'm calling tree20. Its about 36". For reference the ball cap is 11".

Most chainsaw certs are limited to 20" and I've seen this creep up to 24" in the field but 36" is full on pro-sized tree.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts