Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 381 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,295 Posts
momosgarage said:
Why incite a negative exchange?
You really, truly just don't get it, do you?

I'll get into this once, politely. You ask a question, and you get a variety of answers. Some aren't worth anything, but hey,no one is paying for advice, so ignore it.

Others give advice, opinion, etc, in a very pleasant fashion, and if it doesn't jive with what you're looking for, you get obstinate, and argumentative, insisting they change their answer so it meets your objective.

This is upsetting to the average bear. Rather than cry about how their feeling is hurt, they get snarky. Once the snark starts to flow, the snark sharks smell a feast, and you have, what you have now.

Once the feast starts, others start paying attention. More often than not, they simply get annoyed by someone as aggressively interested in maintaining their cluelessness, and you get results like muddybuddy's post which you've taken notice of.

Keep posting, I doubt very much you'll see an improvement unless you learn to chill out, take the advice given, use it if you like, ignore it if you don't.

I'll even share a personal story of a forum adventure of my own. I had a timing belt done on my wifes car. Since I am very low on income this time of year, I made a few choices, which in hindsight, weren't very wise. I discovered this by going onto a forum about our type of car, and started asking questions. I was outside my comfort zone, and wasn't sure how things worked there. I got hammered. Many folks all telling me exactly what I didn't want to hear. I needed to do the job all over again or my wife would be driving a time bomb, with an engine rebuild at the end. I got defensive, quite sure they were just being mellow-dramatic and hyperbolic in their assessment. I even got a bit snarky, clinging to the fact that it would help. One of the more understanding members set me straight, telling me that they get this sort of thing all the time, very common question actually, and it really was the case, after all, I came to them for information, didn't I? (Oh, yeah, right....) He also informed me that being a jerk wasn't going to help anyone. Sounding familiar yet? The light went off in my head, I realized I was being, (effectively) you. I apologized, expressed that I was afraid of the inevitable, calmed down, asked a few more questions pleasantly, got the info I needed, and left. If I come back for something in the future, Im sure they'll all brace themselves a little bit, but since I regained my composure, apologized, and acted reasonably after that, I doubt I'll get a frosty welcome next time around.

I really think your name is Kyle though.......

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,295 Posts
blak_byke said:
my apologies.
Chill mister, no apology required. I was kidding around;)

If I don't use smilies, and sound pissed off, you know I mean it. :thumbsup:

FYI? STX RC doesn't excite us, at all:D :D :D :D

Now that 9 series stuff? Hope you made something off it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
MendonCycleSmith said:
Chill mister, no apology required. I was kidding around;)

If I don't use smilies, and sound pissed off, you know I mean it. :thumbsup:

FYI? STX RC doesn't excite us, at all:D :D :D :D

Now that 9 series stuff? Hope you made something off it!

I understand I didn't take it to heart. After all, It wasn't a REAL apology, just one of those cyber thingies ;) :D

I was suprised that the STX-RC stuff went for the coin that it did and was so coveted by the buyer. The other stuff got me enough to do some repairs and a few upgrades (new turbo, intercooler, injectors and all the associated piping) to the Avant! Yes my car is getting old too. :sad:

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
I don't think I've ever owned a Trek. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on something.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
blak_byke said:
Why don't they have a cool factor to them? I mean they are good ol' American made True Temper steel frames right? They offer a great ride, hard to kill, and spec'd nicely for their time. Is it more or less because they come from a large manufacturer and not a boutique builder? I mean I know the welds look like crap but I can't see them when I ride so that doesn't bother me.

I don't see a lot of them pop up here either restored or modernized so I was just curious.

Any thoughts?
I owned a 1996 Trek 970 with a beautiful red paint job. The welds look the way they do because of the "sequential" welding technique Trek was using at the time. It was a tad heavy (19" frame weighed 4.75lbs) and the fork sucked (Q-21R, replaced in 1997 with Judy SL) but it rode quite nice.

Unfortunately it cracked at the un-gusseted downtube/headtube joint in 2000. Trek offered me a 8000 frame which I really didn't want. Then the rep offered me a Klein Mantra demo bike to ride and see if I wanted to get a supreme deal on (I was working at a Trek shop at the time). I didn't mind the Mantra but really wanted a steel frame hardtail. He finally found that they had a few 1998 Bontrager Privateer frames with 1 1/8" headtubes lying around so he gave me that as a replacement.

The Bontrager was 1/2 lbs lighter and used OX2 tubes instead of the OX3 oversized tubes on the Trek. I like the ride more on the Bontrager, but the 970 was still a nice ride.

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
momosgarage said:
I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.
being stubborn and spreading misinformation is not cool.. it has notihing to do w/ the bike but not knowing bike geometry and pretending to...
just because you can post on the internet doen't make you interesting.:madman:

·
Registered
254 Posts
spreading misinformation is not cool..
What statement of mine are you refuting?

being stubborn and spreading misinformation is not cool.. it has notihing to do w/ the bike but not knowing bike geometry and pretending to...
I await your analysis on early mountain bike geometry vs road bikes of the same era. I may have been told the wrong thing, but I am not talking about a bike post-1995. My question and observation still stands. But that in essence was why I asked a question in the first place. For you know... facts and clarification. I don't know how or why you ask questions, but thats why I ask them.

just because you can post on the internet doen't make you interesting
I am not trying to be interesting, just get a question answered. In this case it only got answered in conjunction with a string of mini fights. No skin off my back. If I bore you, ignore me. Pretty easy to do.

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
momosgarage said:
What statement of mine are you refuting?

I await your analysis on early mountain bike geometry vs road bikes of the same era. I may have been told the wrong thing, but I am not talking about a bike post-1995. My question and observation still stands. But that in essence was why I asked a question in the first place. For you know... facts and clarification. I don't know how or why you ask questions, but thats why I ask them.

I am not trying to be interesting, just get a question answered. In this case it only got answered in conjunction with a string of mini fights. No skin off my back. If I bore you, ignore me. Pretty easy to do.
No.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
yo-Nate-y said:
Get an old lugged 970 or a 990, they's pretty sweet.

They are indeed, along with Prestige Stumpjumper's ,Avalanche's, Montana teams etc, nothing wrong with these bikes if you are interested in quality riders. Are they cool with the collectors, not so much. If you want to talk sacrilege how about a GT Avalanche with a rigid Trek fork or a Stumpjumper with a Surly 1X 1 rigid fork ..........

·
Registered
512 Posts
muddybuddy said:
I don't think I've ever owned a Trek. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on something.
I own two (imagine this being said with the same inflection of 'I have a rash'). While neither is V, R, or C, one is a 520 with five states under its belt.

41 - 60 of 381 Posts