Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 381 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
richieb said:
Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...
Yup!

Countless examples of that. If you can roll with the punches and take a laugh at your expense...you'll probably be just fine.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,295 Posts
Just a recap since I'm so, um, flummoxed and impressed at the same time....

Guy asks question about vanilla plain jane bike.

Gets crap for it.

Rolls with it, actually posts a good volley shot back.

Gets answer he was looking for and pleasant conversation ensues.

THEN.......

Poor fella who just can't figure out that good advice can come in *interesting* packages (long time in the past now) posts conciliatory response to the OP, after all's well in the world.

Wow. I guess baffled is a better word.

All I can say is, blak_byke for mod! :D

As for the bike, agreed, pretty much exactly what Rumpfy said. Kinda like collecting and coveting Chevy Citations...... :yawn:

But if it was your first car, you might want one in the back of the barn for old times sake;)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
All I can say is, blak_byke for mod! :D

I think for now we are sticking with the current administration.

It's at least a five year commission.

Besides, didn't the past administration give you the keys to the helicopter.:)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Haha! Choppers and staff/henchmen were a package deal with the previous administration. :p I'm retired though. Sort of. Merely a peeon now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sign me up LOL! What this whole mod thing pay? The economy is kinda' jacked and you know.......

Chevy Citations.....dang! Did you really have to go there? You brought back memories of my 79' Chevette. She was red with a gold stripe down the side. Kinda like the Redskins.....yeah I know we suck :madman: (let the bashing begin) :D

I definitely get it about the Treks, It's truly personal. Sad thing is that I'm actually about to dump my Trek frame stash....930 (x 3), 970 and 990. Truth is that I didn't know about all of these boutique brands when I bought my Mongoose years ago and really couldn't afford them once I did learn about them. Fortunately I ended up with 3 Schwinn Homegrowns (still own one) and a GT Lightning during the process but have pretty much sold everything off because I ended up with two Jamis Dragons....nothing VRC though. Once again, none of these are boutique but great bikes nonetheless. I am going to keep the lugged 930 just to do a fun project with some time in the future.

Yes there is some funny azz shyte that happens here but some rude retorts as well. I appreciate sarcasm like the next man or woman but do hate E-bullying when it goes down :nono: ....not saying that Momosgarage was being bullied. Part of me thinks that he was doing a little messing as well ;). My Grandmother used to say (insert Grandma' voice) "Some times you have to put on your thick skin baby". Either way, this site is a portal for all kinds of folks with views, thoughts and experiences on all kinds of bikes and we have a similar goal.....to enjoy them.

Thousands of folks + two wheels = one purpose......RIDE! Too mushy? :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Aemmer said:
I think for now we are sticking with the current administration.

It's at least a five year commission.

Besides, didn't the past administration give you the keys to the helicopter.:)

RATZ!! Foiled again!! :madman:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,295 Posts
blak_byke said:
Sign me up LOL! What this whole mod thing pay? The economy is kinda' jacked and you know.......

Sad thing is that I'm actually about to dump my Trek frame stash....930 (x 3), 970 and 990.
Oh, you get paid alright, Anytime a butterfly flaps it's wings, I get paid. :rolleyes:

I just knew this was a fishing expedition for pricing on your frames :p

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Right?! Luckily he's a funny dude so no harm, no foul. :p

I think, frankly, the regulars can spot weirdness a million miles away and just get cranky about it. For example, people gave absolutely great advice early on in the momo thread but the OP was so dismissive, it was downright rude. His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.

Anyhow, that's it! I'm done! Phew! I don't think I've met anybody with a Trek Stash before. They unfortunately, for their owners, don't sell for much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
MendonCycleSmith said:
Oh, you get paid alright, Anytime a butterfly flaps it's wings, I get paid. :rolleyes:

I just knew this was a fishing expedition for pricing on your frames :p

Fishing expedition? Naaaah not in the least, but I see why you would think so...my apologies. I respect the fact that this site needs revenue as well as patrons to continue to grow so I'm gonna TRY ;) and stay in my lane and not fish.....too much.....to often.....to-day....j/k :D .

I was just clearing out all of my other crap in the basement and wondered why I still have all my Trek frames. If I was fishing I would have asked about all the stuff that IS worth something to you guys. I just sold a whole bunch of stuff on Evilbay over the past couple of weeks ( full LX group, STX-RC group including wheels, M900 group and seatpost, M952 parts, XC Pro thumbies, Ritchie logic cranks, etc) and I still haven't mentioned the stuff that's on there now. There are a lot of commuters and schools in my area so getting rid of them shouldn't be a problem. In addition, I wrench a little for my church cycle group and a few want me to build them low cost rides so that they can ride as well. I'm such a good guy...:aureola:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
girlonbike said:
Right?! Luckily he's a funny dude so no harm, no foul. :p

I think, frankly, the regulars can spot weirdness a million miles away and just get cranky about it. For example, people gave absolutely great advice early on in the momo thread but the OP was so dismissive, it was downright rude. His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.

Anyhow, that's it! I'm done! Phew! I don't think I've met anybody with a Trek Stash before. They unfortunately, for their owners, don't sell for much.
You are so kind and I my sense of of humor takes me a loooong way because my biking skills sure won't ;) lol. My stash was, admittedly, my weak attempt @ getting what I thought to be a quality bike.....and they truly are in my opinion. I'm definitely no purist as I probably won't, in the foreseeable future, do a period correct restoration, but I DO love looking @ you guy's rides. I'm more of a 'modern twist on a classic' kinda guy which is why I get excited about Misterdangerpants and others builds so much.

I guess with all these bikes, if it's worth something to you......it's worth something.

·
Registered
254 Posts
His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.
...and everybody is supposed to know about this unspoken etiquette consisting of "ride report, pictures and follow up". I don't work for you nor do you work for me. You don't have to post a reply, nor does the OP have to post a ride report, pictures or follow up.

Like I or anyone else that hasn't been on the board for 5+ years is supposed to know this. Let me clue you in, there are no rewards on a forum. If you don't like the thread or the OP who started it, IGNORE IT. Seems pretty easy to do.

Thanks "girlonbike the entertainer" for the tip, regarding yet another MTBR secret handshake.

Have you passed out yet from being cranky about non-MTBR insider posts and threads?

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
momosgarage said:
Let me clue you in, there are no rewards on a forum.
The knowledge and camraderie gained with out being a pretentious a-hole is its own reward. A concept blak_byke gets and you obviously don't.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
muddybuddy said:
:aureola: like this one?

MY MAN MY MAN!!

I guess if I would have clicked "MORE" I would have seent it (yes I said seent)....DOH!

Previous post Halo'd......

·
Registered
254 Posts
The knowledge and camraderie gained with out being a pretentious a-hole is its own reward. A concept blak_byke gets and you obviously don't.
Are we now entering into conflict? I don't recall us having any issues. I only address those who attack first.

Why incite a negative exchange?

21 - 40 of 381 Posts