Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't they have a cool factor to them? I mean they are good ol' American made True Temper steel frames right? They offer a great ride, hard to kill, and spec'd nicely for their time. Is it more or less because they come from a large manufacturer and not a boutique builder? I mean I know the welds look like crap but I can't see them when I ride so that doesn't bother me.

I don't see a lot of them pop up here either restored or modernized so I was just curious.

Any thoughts?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.
I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
momosgarage said:
I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question.
long story short:

we blame you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rumpfy said:
Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.

You're an ass.....but I mean that in an endearing sort of way LOL! :thumbsup: I hollered when I read your response!

·
Registered
254 Posts
long story short:

we blame you
short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rumpfy said:
Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.

I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy ;)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
momosgarage said:
I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny. :p

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
blak_byke said:
I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy ;)

Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
momosgarage said:
short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

LOL! I feel you Momo. I've been lurking and posting every so often over the years so I've been witness to some of the craziness that goes on here in the VRC and SS forums. Although I haven't been a victim.....yet, I still think some of it goes a bit far. With that said it was quite ironic that I read you post about suspension travel not 15 minutes before you posted here. I'm just glad you didn't totally leave the site after that experience and although your question was bit vague the first time I read it, still, it deserved a more informative answer. Hell, I had the same question some time ago and usually read when someone posts a similar thread. These guys will rip ya, but it's all good:thumbsup:

Damn! I crashed my own thread......OLD BIKES! Whew....back on topic lol!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rumpfy said:
What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny. :p

Yes you did....Mr Magnificent lol! :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rumpfy said:
Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).

Yup. I gotcha.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hollister said:
everyone else got a better stage name than me

boo!

Btw PMH,

They are only better stage names if you BELIEVE they are better.......he he.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I guess humor IS the secret handshake of the VRC illuminati......

should only take a dozen or so posts on the vrc to figure that out.

for some I guess its not THAT obvious, and really what fun is it to have to spell it out? ooops.

1 - 20 of 381 Posts