Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I wasted an almost brand new X7 derailler, and I'm wondering if I should switch to mid cage to give myself a little more clearance? I typically only run a 32T rear cassette anyway.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
If you are running a triple in the front, you can get away with a mid cage, assuming you will not use the extreme gear combos. If you are running a dual ring, go with an X9 shorty. I just put one on my RFX and love it. Lots of clearance, really quick shifts, and less chainslap.

Larry at Mountain High has them for about the price of an X7 at my LBS.. Plus, the X9's are stronger. The composite cage worried me a bit, but has taken a beating in its first outing.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Be sure you don't get too short with the shorty. A 2x9 should go with the Medium (i think). I dropped my 3rd gear in front and popped a medium lx derailleur in the back. I have enough clearance but I don't think a short one would do. Also I have a 22/32 in the front (not the 36) and the back I run 11-32.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I run an X9 in medium cage.....but bailed my 44t for a bashy. So I have a PG990 11-34 cassette, and 22-32-bash up front, and if I'm in the middle ring up front and 34 in the rear, all is good.
I'd say go medium cage. Shifts are faster/crisper and drivetrain seems quieter, less slap. Toss in additional clearance and it's a win-win.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.