Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Looking to upgrade the forks on my 1st bike, an 05 Cindercone (from MZ race) which I have had for 9 months and been mainly checking out the mid level Marzocchis (the MX series). A bit of background before some q's: I mainly ride XC single tracks (a little aggressively and unskillfully) where rock gardens and washboards the main obstacles and long down hills are common. I don't do drops, hucks etc on this bike and are unlikely to in the future. I am 6' 2" and 180 lbs. I guess my budget is around $250 US, and I would prefer to sacrifice a little performance for durability and reliability. Weight is not really an issue and I think I would prefer air/coil or coil rather than full air. Some questions...

a) Is the only difference between the MX Comp ETA and the MX Pro ETA external rebound adjustment, and does this feature warrant the extra cost?

b) I have seen both 105 and 120 mm advertised as the travel for both the comps and pros - are these two different models, or is there internal or external adjustment of travel? The reason I ask is that my frame is designed for 100mm travel forks according to the Kona website.

c) I may be able to get a good deal on a pair of 2nd hand Marathon XCs. Do you think it is worth sending the extra $ on these or do my riding needs and inexperience mean I will notice little benefit?

d) Any opinions on other options would be sweet. I guess I have been looking at the Marzocchis because of their reputation for reliability and value for money.

Cheers for your time

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Cantab said:
Hey All,
Looking to upgrade the forks on my 1st bike, an 05 Cindercone (from MZ race) which I have had for 9 months and been mainly checking out the mid level Marzocchis (the MX series). A bit of background before some q's: I mainly ride XC single tracks (a little aggressively and unskillfully) where rock gardens and washboards the main obstacles and long down hills are common. I don't do drops, hucks etc on this bike and are unlikely to in the future. I am 6' 2" and 180 lbs. I guess my budget is around $250 US, and I would prefer to sacrifice a little performance for durability and reliability. Weight is not really an issue and I think I would prefer air/coil or coil rather than full air. Some questions...

a) Is the only difference between the MX Comp ETA and the MX Pro ETA external rebound adjustment, and does this feature warrant the extra cost?

b) I have seen both 105 and 120 mm advertised as the travel for both the comps and pros - are these two different models, or is there internal or external adjustment of travel? The reason I ask is that my frame is designed for 100mm travel forks according to the Kona website.

c) I may be able to get a good deal on a pair of 2nd hand Marathon XCs. Do you think it is worth sending the extra $ on these or do my riding needs and inexperience mean I will notice little benefit?

d) Any opinions on other options would be sweet. I guess I have been looking at the Marzocchis because of their reputation for reliability and value for money.

Cheers for your time
The MX Comp was my first big purchase for my first mtb. It was a huge upgrade from the Rock Shox Indy SL that previously resided up front.

a) external rebound adjustment is nice, but you can adjust it internally with the supplied hex rod and it is unlikely you'll be changing that once you set it to a desired speed. Your call, it makes your life easier, but it isn't necessary.

b) different models. I would go with the 105. the MX chasis has 30mm stanchions. They flex quite a bit at 120mm extension

c) yes, defiantelly worth it. Huge difference, especialy at high speed. More control, smoother ride. More dials and knobs to turn.

d) Roch Shox Reba, last years. This year's reba actually isn't as cool as last year's as the max travel is 100 vs 115. A used Fox Vanilla is a sold fork. Stiffer and rides much better than the MX damper wise. Very reliable, too.

You may want to look more vintage, too. Atom Race is one of the best forks ever produced. Last year they made them was 2001 or 2002. I highly recommend it. An oil change, possibly new seals, and you'll be good to go. BTW, every time you get a used fork, oil change is mandatory as you never know if the previous owner payed attention to the maintenance schedule. An older Z1 CR or MCR or an older Marathon S are all super solid forks. Some of the best riding XC forks ever produced. The Z1 was billed as a freeride fork back in the day, the vintage Z1 that is, and by today's standards it is pretty much an XC fork.

_MK

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Listen to MK's advice

All good stuff in MK's response. Take the advice to heart. I'll summarize what I think is important:

MX is a good fork, spend the money on the Marathon XC if you have the money. Better yet, a low milage Marathon S ('04 or '04 with the HSCV damping) would be a great choice, IMO..

Stick with 100mm if you go with a fork with 30mm stanchions. If you find you can go to 120, get something with 32mm or larger stanchions.

Reba is a great alterntaive to look at.

Best wishes in finding a replacement fork that works for you.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the info guys. Will see what deals I can get on the Marathon XC with the MX Comp as my "I'm too poor" back-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts