Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the first time since they were born, my wife and I have a week without our kids. We are thinking we want to road trip somewhere. Riding should be heavily featured on this trip. We may rent a camper, regular camp, tow our travel trailer, or stay in hotels.

But where to go?! We don't want to drive too much. We're currently thinking Colorado or Oregon. My wife and I are fit and can climb. She likes flow downhill and I do to, but also love the gnar and jumps....

Where do you recommend we cash in our hall-pass?

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
^ That was my first thought, too, but a week there might be kinda long. You could always include Oakridge and/or Mount St. Helens and/or Hood River/Post Canyon/Sandy Ridge. My second choice would be Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you only have a week and you're set on driving, Oregon/Washington seems to be the way to go.

Ashland / Umqua / Oakridge / HoodRiver / St Helens along with some other scenic areas (Crater Lake, Hood, random waterfalls and hotsprings).

CO and BC are also great ideas, but you're probably better off flying so that you can maximize riding time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No kids? Drive a bit further and hit Squamish, BC. Best trails in the world and easy to find cheap accommodations given currency.
THIS. Just spent the last week in Squamish (our 2nd annual 4th of July Squamish trip) and plan to come back at least once a year until I can't pedal a bike. May even go back again this summer.

If you're driving, it's closer to SFO than Denver. And a really easy flight drive up from Vancouver (YVR) if you fly.

Airbnbs are silly cheap (we paid $200/night including fees for very nice 3 bed / 2 bath, with hot tub, grill and big yard) and so is most everything else given the exchange rate.

They may not have the best trails in the world, but definitely the best I've ever ridden. From our Airbnb we could pedal 10 minutes across the to the amazing Alice Lake trails, or drive 5 minutes down the road to catch the $10 Squamish "shred shuttle" to the top of Diamond Head for 3k feet of descending down flow, gnar, or whatever your heart desires. And if you get bored of that (you won't) you're only about 40 min from Whistler Bike Park. I could gush more about Whistler, but don't think I need to.

We didn't have a hall pass for the week so we brought the 4-year kid. Problem? NOT AT ALL! Dialed In Cycling runs an MTB camp for kids. It was 10am-3pm, Tues-Friday and the little guy LOVED it while it gave us plenty of time for the trails. Best $300 I've ever spent (yes, that's 20 hours of child care--not to mention amazing MTB coaching--for $300 bucks).

So kid or no, Squamish is a great choice.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Dennis & Char (Ogre & Fiona) in OR could give you the tours, and you could pitch a tent/or park on their land, I'm sure.

PM me if you want me to broach the subject.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THIS. Just spent the last week in Squamish (our 2nd annual 4th of July Squamish trip) and plan to come back at least once a year until I can't pedal a bike. May even go back again this summer.

If you're driving, it's closer to SFO than Denver. And a really easy flight drive up from Vancouver (YVR) if you fly.

Airbnbs are silly cheap (we paid $200/night including fees for very nice 3 bed / 2 bath, with hot tub, grill and big yard) and so is most everything else given the exchange rate.

They may not have the best trails in the world, but definitely the best I've ever ridden. From our Airbnb we could pedal 10 minutes across the to the amazing Alice Lake trails, or drive 5 minutes down the road to catch the $10 Squamish "shred shuttle" to the top of Diamond Head for 3k feet of descending down flow, gnar, or whatever your heart desires. And if you get bored of that (you won't) you're only about 40 min from Whistler Bike Park. I could gush more about Whistler, but don't think I need to.

We didn't have a hall pass for the week so we brought the 4-year kid. Problem? NOT AT ALL! Dialed In Cycling runs an MTB camp for kids. It was 10am-3pm, Tues-Friday and the little guy LOVED it while it gave us plenty of time for the trails. Best $300 I've ever spent (yes, that's 20 hours of child care--not to mention amazing MTB coaching--for $300 bucks).

So kid or no, Squamish is a great choice.
Damn. I may have to try this end of August.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is pushing for CO. I'm sure it would be great. She has a friend in Cortez and says the riding there is great. I wouldn't even know where to go in CO. Seems like a big state with many options that are far apart.

I think I'm pushing for OR. Anyone familiar with Black Rock?

·
Registered
360 Posts
North Umpqua will hold your attention for a few days. Camping along the river is an option (chance of being fully reserved though). If you get bored or have extra time Ashland or Oak Ridge or Bend are quite close.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Black rock is awesome if you like jumps and features. I’d definitely hit it if you are in the area. Also would recommend Alsea Falls, Sandy Ridge and Post Canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Log off and go ride!
1,865 Posts
Bend, OR.

Lots of trails of various levels, variety of terrain and scenery.
Lots of other things to do between rides -- lakes and rivers, hiking, fishing, High Desert Museum, lava tubes.
High enough elevation so August will not be scorching hot. We go for a week or two every year.

·
Registered
865 Posts
By limited driving, do you mean day-to-day, or to get there?
Lots of fun stuff in SW CO--Phils World is outside Cortez, and not far from there to Durango, the stuff NW of Durango (Colorado trail, or ride to Durango over a day or two), the RAT system is supposed to be good, Telluride used to have a free small bike park but now charges a little bit for a larger one, etc).
But it's a 16 hour non-stop drive to get there! You can of course stop along the way (Tahoe? Reno? Ely? Moab? Hurricane? Flagstaff?).

Oregon you could go SF, Redding, Ashland, Alsea Falls, Black Rock, Silver Falls, Oakridge (via West Cascades Scenic Byway), North Umpqua, Spence Mountain, and back to SF....

OK, that's too many options and some of those are small (but high quality), and I'm skipping Bend entirely, but you get the idea... All of those except Blackrock have campgrounds at or very near the trails--about half it's really campground at trailhead.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,865 Posts
Bend, OR.

Lots of trails of various levels, variety of terrain and scenery.
Lots of other things to do between rides -- lakes and rivers, hiking, fishing, High Desert Museum, lava tubes.
High enough elevation so August will not be scorching hot. We go for a week or two every year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.