Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what year serial number 2M491 is for this Mountain Klein? I am also looking for a correct chrome fork (and other parts) that originally came on this model. Kind thanks, Brant

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
For the love of god please turn the seatpost around so it's in the right direction and flatten that saddle!

That poor, poor bike....

Sorry, no help oni the other stuff, chrome forks are a dime a dozen unless you want OEM, in which case, happy fishing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your input SHOO. I can't find anything anywhere about how Klein was numbering in these mid-80's years. Below is the only serial number I have been able to find for a Mountain Klein.

All of the Mountain Kleins built in 88 or before that I saw had the serial number starting with MOU
BadBushido has posted the serial number for his 1985 as:
Mountain Klein 1985, red
ident# 2M1AC

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks for your input SHOO. I can't find anything anywhere about how Klein was numbering in these mid-80's years. Below is the only serial number I have been able to find for a Mountain Klein.

BadBushido has posted the serial number for his 1985 as:
Interesting. I have owned, five, I bought three new, one in 1985 directly from Gary, two in 1986 from the Bicycle Place and then 2 used ones around 2002 and they all started with mo. The picture below is from a used bike I bought in 2002, it was originally blue but the guy painted it black . I wonder did BadBushido buy his in 1985?

·
slow
6,891 Posts
Stock chrome fork was a Spinner chrome fork.
Pretty sure that is 1986 or 1987. Earlier than that and the U-Brake under the chain stays doesn't make sense. I think by 1988 most of the bikes they were selling were Pinnacles that just said Klein on the downtube and were coming in day-glo colors. It also seems like I remember most of the Kleins we sold during 88 and 89 had gone back to cantilever brakes on the rear.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Stock chrome fork was a Spinner chrome fork.
Pretty sure that is 1986 or 1987. Earlier than that and the U-Brake under the chain stays doesn't make sense. I think by 1988 most of the bikes they were selling were Pinnacles that just said Klein on the downtube and were coming in day-glo colors. It also seems like I remember most of the Kleins we sold during 88 and 89 had gone back to cantilever brakes on the rear.
Yes, the fork was made by Spinner for Klein, it had Klein spelled out in the dropouts.
The Cantilevers did not appear on the "Mountain Klein" bike before mid year 1989 here in Maryland.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had decipphered the serial a while back but can't find the records but it could be 22" frame Mountain and No. 491. Its likely and 87 due the Shimano U-brake as 85-6 came with Suntour Roller Cam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts