Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a SRAM 11s will work with a 10s Microshift Advent X rear mech?

Both have 1.1 cable pull ratio.

I run a 10-48t Garbaruk cassette, the Microshift mech is designed for 11-48t but has capacity for 41t.

I'm finding the Shimano SLX SGS cage too big (rock strikes), the GS a little too small (46 max + only 36t capacity)

The Microshift seems in the sweet spot of cost, size and a clutch that can be maintained (unlike SRAM)

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Microshift say: Compatible with ADVENT X 10-speed drivetrains only. Plus 11s shifter pull the cable different than a normal 10s shifter.
All the manufacturers say that and that was my question as the pull ratio of the Microshift 10s is the same as the pull ratio of both SRAM/Shimano 11s+12s. But with a smaller cage and hopefully a more reliable clutch, it is also both lighter and cheaper.

To make sure we're all straight on the idea here...You have a 11 speed shifter and cassette now, and want to run the Advent X derailleur on that system?

The shifter controls the amount of pull on the derailleur, so in theory it should work.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'll give it a closer look.

I've had the SLX rear mech 12 months and I've already had to replace the clutch and the lever. It'll be interesting how the Microshift compares.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
All the manufacturers say that and that was my question as the pull ratio of the Microshift 10s is the same as the pull ratio of both SRAM/Shimano 11s+12s. But with a smaller cage and hopefully a more reliable clutch, it is also both lighter and cheaper.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll give it a closer look.

I've had the SLX rear mech 12 months and I've already had to replace the clutch and the lever. It'll be interesting how the Microshift compares.

Thanks
Yeah for $75 it's not a expensive experiment. Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm pretty interested in the Advent line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any updates on this? I like the 11 gx sram shifter and have the 10-42 GX cassette but @ £100 for the gx derailleur in the UK, the Advent is half the price and is still cheaper than the plasticy NX version.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
alexdi's spreadsheet says:
-- Sram 11s derailluer ratio is 1.12 mm of side-to-side motion per mm of cable pull
-- Advent X is 1.1
-- Advent 9speed is also 1.1

·
Registered
86 Posts
-- Sram 11s derailluer ratio is 1.12 mm of side-to-side motion per mm of cable pull
-- Advent X is 1.1

Hmm, I see that from the spreadsheet.
Plenty of people have reported that the shimano 11 speed shifter and mech work with the sram 10-42t cassette with zero issues even though the sprocket pitches between sram and shimano are different.
On my second bike, I run a right mixed setup, sunrace 11 (11-46t) speed cassette with a 10 speed deore mech (OneUp rad cage modded) and a sram gx shifter with no issues at all.
I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-- Advent X is 1.1
And your point is?

I run a SRAM shifter with a 1.12 cable pull absolutely fine with a Shimano derailleur with a 1.1 cable pull ratio. It works. The cynic in me thinks the SRAM 1.12 is purely to differentiate it from Shimanos 1.1, so that they can say "it's different and won't work". Clearly it does.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And your point is?

I run a SRAM shifter with a 1.12 cable pull absolutely fine with a Shimano derailleur with a 1.1 cable pull ratio. It works. The cynic in me thinks the SRAM 1.12 is purely to differentiate it from Shimanos 1.1, so that they can say "it's different and won't work". Clearly it does.
Absolutely no point whatsoever. I'm a cynic too and I agree with you about the 1.12 to differentiate it from shimano

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
And your point is?
No point. Just a statement.

I would also assume it's close enough to 1.12...

... and that you could also possibly substitute an Advent 9 that's for an 11-46 cassette

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if a SRAM 11s will work with a 10s Microshift Advent X rear mech?

Both have 1.1 cable pull ratio.

I run a 10-48t Garbaruk cassette, the Microshift mech is designed for 11-48t but has capacity for 41t.

I'm finding the Shimano SLX SGS cage too big (rock strikes), the GS a little too small (46 max + only 36t capacity)

The Microshift seems in the sweet spot of cost, size and a clutch that can be maintained (unlike SRAM)

Thanks
Hi Neb,

Interested as well in this setup. Where you able to test it out of a SRAM 11 speed shifter worked with an advent X rear mech?

Thank you :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts