Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's bike is 2014 Xcaliber 6 with a hodge podge mix of XT, SLX, Deore, Altus, and Acera components in a 3x9 configuration. He's been begging me to convert it to a 1x system. He just turned 12 and he's bound to hit his growth spurt here in the next year or there abouts so I didn't really want to invest much money on a 7 year old bike. The stretch-o-meter was showing the bike was in need of a new chain. Since I probably had to replace some stuff anyways when I replace the chain I decided to not go with normal hand-me down parts and fork over the $117.72 Worldwide Cyclery would charge me for a Advent 1x9 Trail Pro shifter, 11-46 9 speed all steel cassette, and medium cage clutched rear derailleur.

Out: Acera 3x9 shifter set, Altus Front Derailleur, front derailleur housing, 3 chainrings from a M590 crankset and some chainring bolts, SLX Shadow rear derailleur, 11-32 cassette. Total weight 1240g

In:
Advent 11-46 all steel cassette 584g
Advent Trail pro 9 speed shifter 136g
Advent 9 speed clutched rear derailleur 388g
Wolf Tooth 32t Chainring 48g
Total weight 1156g

The all steel cassette is heavy no ifs ands or buts about it. They offer a light weight aluminum 42t but there wasn't a 46t aluminum option. The cassette was only $35. I would have gladly paid an extra $5-10 for an aluminum 46t which would have easily brought the cassette below 500g. The one saving grace is an steel cassettes is something you buy once and don't have to worry about for a LONG time.
In my Advent X reviews I mentioned I thought the shifter was Acera/Altus like. Yes it does have a hollow plastic sound but the feel of the Trail Pro (Advent and Advent X) shifter is much better than the Acera shifters I took off the bike. The down shift lever is metal and the shifter operates smoothly and will downshift 4 gears in a single pull. I actually thought the multi downshift seemed to operate better on the Advent vs the X. You can pull half you gear range in a single pull. Nice! In my Advent X review I menioned that the cable port didn't have a plug, but one was on the Advent shifter. I'm guessing they must have forgotten to put one on my X.

When picking up the rear derailleur it is surprisingly dense and heavy. There is obviously a lot more steel in it's construction v. the Advent X as the weight is very noticeable. Over 70 g heavier by my scale. Other than the heft it looks and installs almost exactly like the Advent X. The X is a little nicer finished with it's embossed logo v. cheap looking silk screen. Like it's X brother installation was a snap, if not easier. Still has the same 3mm H/L limit screws and B gap screw. Installation couldn't be easier. With a 11 or 12 speed I wouldn't dare to install it without aligning the hanger first. The beauty of 9 speed systems is they are so dang easy to dial in and get great shifting. It almost felt like cheating not having to futz with the cable tension to dial in the shifting. Pulled the cable through the pinch bolt and tightened it down. Dialed a full turn of cable tension at the lever and BAM system shifted perfect like butter. Actually I had to dial in some B-gap first so it would shift into the 46t. After the B gap was set BAM everything shifted like butter.

It was raining so I didn't give it a road test yet so more to come tomorrow.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpjumper, Secteur
3,722 Posts
The ride/shifting comparison should be interesting.
I'm tempted by the Advent X, but so far the Advent hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First few rides with the Advent was given a big thumbs up with my son. First ride was some urban freeriding with lots of drops and riding down long staircases. These rides are normally a chainslap fest and I can report the clutched derailleur worked great. In my brief strolls on the bike shifting seems smooth. Gaps between gears wasn't as noticeable as I thought they would be. When pedalling through some flow trails I noticed sometimes I would have to pedal a little harder or with a little more cadence than what is optimal for me. For me this wasn't an issue large enough for me to worry about unless I was back in my XC racing days and was trying to squeek out every last % of efficiency. For a 9 speeds with a 11-46 range I think they did a great job choosing their gaps.

Compared to the X the regular Advent feels a little stouter and dare I say shifts a little smoother. It feels like a low maintenance drivetrain you can just throw on and ride without constant attention. Between the two it would come down to:
1. Budget. About a $60 difference.
2. Weight. $60 buys you about a 250g in weight savings. Pretty good price per gram weight savings.
3. 46t v 48t. Not a huge difference but the difference is there and could be important to some people.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running the 34/11-42 Advent so even 11-46 AdventX will be better in the extreme steeps.
I never tried the 11-42. The closer spacing might be nice but the gearing was a smidge too low for my son. 34t is a pretty big chainring for a 42 big cog unless you are strong enough to not need a true granny gear. Personally I like to shoot for around 19-20 gear inches for my granny gear. Dropping to a 30t chainring would give you around 20-21 gear inches on a 29er giving you similar low gearing as the 11-46 cassette and really only cost you 1-2mph of top end speed.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpjumper, Secteur
3,722 Posts
I never tried the 11-42. The closer spacing might be nice but the gearing was a smidge too low for my son. 34t is a pretty big chainring for a 42 big cog unless you are strong enough to not need a true granny gear. Personally I like to shoot for around 19-20 gear inches for my granny gear. Dropping to a 30t chainring would give you around 20-21 gear inches on a 29er giving you similar low gearing as the 11-46 cassette and really only cost you 1-2mph of top end speed.
99% of the time 34/42 is fine. I've only been back on gears for the last 2 seasons after 6 years on single speed mtb, cx and road bikes.

AdventX's 11-48 just replaces the Advents 42 with a 40 and adds a 48.
Means I could go to a 36t front for better feel and longer lasting chainring and still be quite a bit lower geared without changing the rest of the ratios much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts