Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let Shimano know that I am really interested in the new 12 speed XT group. I have been running Shimano drive trains on my MTB's for over 26 years. So I have been a loyal customer...

Problem is, I run Chris King hubs and they have not been licensed to make and sell a micro spline free hub. I have talked with a customer rep at CK and they want to do micro spline, but are not allowed.

So what is a a loyal customer to both brands to do?

Well I have 2 sets of nice custom wheels with Chris King hubs, so...

Please do the right thing Shimano, and let the rest of us continue to be loyal customers to you.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
One has to wonder what the issue is---is there one between the 2 companies as others like I9 are good to go-we do not know--Chris King says no but that means little-and for sure what a customer service rep says is not of much value--is Chris King not willing to pay---who knows--also could be Shimano wants to slow role to avoid another fiasco like they just had with their XTR--or they want to limit the mfg's for some reason-or is Chris King such a small hub maker for Shimano that they feel they are not worth the partnership--no doubt they are doing what they feel is best for their business--could prove right or wrong---details of which we are not privy to and we may not like the result at this point or may never.

Reminds me of all the anger at Pivot going to 157 and leaving all the folks with 148 wheels behind--or before folks going to 148 from 142----we can argue the differences but in the end these are for profit businesses doing what they feel maximizes profit and loyalty only concerns them if it maximizes profit

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
725 Posts
So!
I have talked to Shimano about the new Micro Spline freehub available.

So Shimano are busy 1st approving OEM hubs
Then later this year will be approving aftermarket hubs.

So before the end of the year Hope, Chris King, Hadley and anyone else will have Micro Spline freehubs available.

The new XT 12 rides awesome and I'm glad that 2 × 12 is available at lost.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So!

So before the end of the year Hope, Chris King, Hadley and anyone else will have Micro Spline freehubs available.

That is great news. I don't mind waiting, but it would have been nice of Shimano to let us know this little bit of information from the start. Thanks PeterG.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So!

Awesome news thanks for sharing. So it will be available to Chris King right about the time my xx1 11s cassette wears out
Still a big hit to wallet though with a xtr cassette and new ck driver being around $500.

But I truly believe being able to shift under power is a race winning advantage. So I'll pay it.

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
725 Posts
So Hadley have given up on Shimano Micro Spline freehub approval and are now making a 12 spline freehub, similar to White Industries 12 spline freehub because both use titainium bodys for Micro Spline cassettes.
It's disappointing that Shimano have been so slow at approving aftermarket hub manufacturers designs.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great news. I just spoke with one of the crew at CK and it looks like January 31 will be the release date for a new micro spline driver. Yay!

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
725 Posts
Yes next month is the date for aftermarket Micro Spline freehub bodys to be available.
The word in NZ is there are a few Hope and Hadley freehubs being tested and rode in New Zealand now.
I may have seen one.
I feel it's worth the wait after having rode a few Shimano 12 speed bikes in the past few months.
I have a box full of Shimano XT 2×12 waiting for my Bikepacking Bike.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
Stans No-tubes are also looking into a micro-spline freehub body too, saying it should be available early 2020.

·
West Chester, PA
4,939 Posts
So Hadley have given up on Shimano Micro Spline freehub approval and are now making a 12 spline freehub, similar to White Industries 12 spline freehub because both use titainium bodys for Micro Spline cassettes.
It's disappointing that Shimano have been so slow at approving aftermarket hub manufacturers designs.

I don't know why every company didn't do this. I think it would still be fine with less splines even in aluminum. I have a white industries xmr and was very happy that my new frame didn't have to sit in the stand for several more months.
For those of you who are waiting, it's worth it. The shifting is SO much better than eagle.
IMG_20191215_104617.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ya but I would want the 11 speed 10-45 and with the the new drive shell and shifter cassette derailuer it would be 1k.
And about 40grams lighter then my di2 Sram mashup up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe too much to ask, but any word of SRAM making some microspline freehub bodies? One reason I got SRAM 900 hubs was the compatibility with everything out there, but that didn't last long.

·
West Chester, PA
4,939 Posts
ck got no love for the 12 x 142 micro spline?
This is why I stopped buying their stuff. All they have to do is make a minor change to the axle length. Would only take a few hours to make a couple dozen and make existing customers very happy. But they just don't feel like it.
A couple years ago I asked them if they would make a 148 axle for people that had 142 hubs. They said that wouldn't be "truly boost" and it wouldn't be "up to their standards".
Their stuff is great but their unwillingness to help people adapt their products, and their extreme slowness with new products is nuts. It's not rocket science but they act like it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is why I stopped buying their stuff. All they have to do is make a minor change to the axle length. Would only take a few hours to make a couple dozen and make existing customers very happy. But they just don't feel like it.
A couple years ago I asked them if they would make a 148 axle for people that had 142 hubs. They said that wouldn't be "truly boost" and it wouldn't be "up to their standards".
Their stuff is great but their unwillingness to help people adapt their products, and their extreme slowness with new products is nuts. It's not rocket science but they act like it is.
i dont really care about shimano's smallest 10T cog of their 12 speed. if only shimano make the last two big cog on the 12 speed (51 and 46) on their 11 speed, i don't need 12 speed. hopefully somebody makes one like box or sunrace

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
725 Posts
Maybe too much to ask, but any word of SRAM making some microspline freehub bodies? One reason I got SRAM 900 hubs was the compatibility with everything out there, but that didn't last long.
I think that's too much to ask.
Why would they.
It's a new hub time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts