Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little XP-G experiment. How small can you get a double XP-G and still have some heat management? Machined housing 16mm tall by 24 mm wide by 20 mm deep. 2 XP-G R5s driven by a remote 1000 mA buckpuck. Carclo 10417 optics. Lots of light but not much throw. These small optics just don't do too well with the XP-G. In still, room temp air, it gets to about 60C then levels off. No trail time yet as I don't have a mount or battery built for it yet.

Attachments

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
VB, THAT is awesome :thumbsup: This is what I've been envisioning since the XP-E and XP-G came out. If those were built as singles you could tuck them right down into the helmet vents for the ultimate in low-profile. If only they could tighten up those 10mm optics.

JZ

·
Registered
455 Posts
I love it! :cornut:
I think a bit of Velcro is all thats needed for a mount. Nice and simple!
I do hope one of the optic manufactures pulls their finger out and makes some tight optics for the XP-G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice build!

I'm planning to do something similar but with a 25mm square pipe fitting 4 of those with various optics.

You say it gives decent light but not too much throw, what kind of carclo lenses are you using?

Got any beamshots?
Weight?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
piesoup said:
I love it! :cornut:
I think a bit of Velcro is all thats needed for a mount. Nice and simple!
I do hope one of the optic manufactures pulls their finger out and makes some tight optics for the XP-G.
Unfortunately for me, my helmet has a center "rib" that is not flat enough for a velcro mount to work.

I also hope for better optics in this small form factor. The XP-G can be very spotty in a reflector. I put one in a Pelican headlamp and with slight modifications to the OEM reflector got a nice tight spot. Problem is the reflector is ~32mm in diameter

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
rool said:
You say it gives decent light but not too much throw, what kind of carclo lenses are you using?

Got any beamshots?
Weight?
It has the Carclo 10417 optics. These are listed at various sources as plain tight or tight lens front style. Good bar mount optic, but a little tighter would be better for the helmet. Certainly workable though.

No beamshots yet. I don't have a camera that can do the MTBR beamshot settings(no manual exposure ability). I might try to take some anyway, they just won't be good for comparison to other shots.

The head and cable assembly weighs 20.5 grams

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
piesoup said:
Now you have to tell me, where is your cable and connector from?!
The cable/connector is a Turck product. Here is a link to a datasheet.

http://www.turck-usa.com/illustrations/777000415 (sheet_1).pdf

I bought a few on ebay pretty cheap. It is waterproof (IP67). One nice feature is the "locking" mechanism is a slip collar. It will pull apart if snagged. Wire is nice and flexible with a pretty tough urethane jacket.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is so cool! I would mount one to the fork crown or on the fork legs. Would really light up the area in front of the tire. Would be great for riding rocks at night.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Vancbiker said:
The cable/connector is a Turck product. Here is a link to a datasheet.

http://www.turck-usa.com/illustrations/777000415 (sheet_1).pdf

I bought a few on ebay pretty cheap. It is waterproof (IP67). One nice feature is the "locking" mechanism is a slip collar. It will pull apart if snagged. Wire is nice and flexible with a pretty tough urethane jacket.
Thanks bud!

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Vancbiker: I applaud your efforts to build a micro-usable set-up. With everyone else scrambling around trying to build mega-Lumen light sets it's nice to see someone trying to keep things simply and light-weight. Since this was intended as a helmet light and there are still no real good 10mm xp-g optics for throw, you might want to consider a triple 10mm XP-E as they are suppose to provide a little bit better throw. It will make the light 10mm wider but what the heck. It would be worth it for the better throw. The 2-up you can still use on your bars.

Sooner or later someone's got to make some adjustable/focusable optics for this stuff and THEN things are going to get real interesting.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cat-man-do said:
Vancbiker: I applaud your efforts to build a micro-usable set-up. With everyone else scrambling around trying to build mega-Lumen light sets it's nice to see someone trying to keep things simply and light-weight. Since this was intended as a helmet light and there are still no real good 10mm xp-g optics for throw, you might want to consider a triple 10mm XP-E as they are suppose to provide a little bit better throw. It will make the light 10mm wider but what the heck. It would be worth it for the better throw. The 2-up you can still use on your bars.

Sooner or later someone's got to make some adjustable/focusable optics for this stuff and THEN things are going to get real interesting.
Thanks for the kind words. The big lights are interesting and I will probably build one someday though I don't really feel the need for so much light. I use a single MC-E for a bar light and it is enough light for me except on the faster downhill runs. I built a dual MC-E for a friend and like it. I am building a housing for one for myself.

This is my first helmet light and in all honesty I think it will work fine. If I did not have a XP-G conversion in my backpacking headlamp that has a really tight spot, I don't think I would feel that this 2 up light needed more throw. The next thing I am anxious to see is how the housing dissipates heat while moving. I am hoping to that it will stay well below 40C while riding in 8-12C air temps.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
AWESOME!!! That's what I'm talking about! More than adequate light and super-light!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know we are a demanding public but do you have any beamshots?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.