Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I manage a major tire retailer and in the world of cars/trucks Michelin is the best IMO. Is this also the case for mountain bike tires? I recently bought a left over 2013 trek x-caliber and I am not entirely happy with the stock tires. I'd really like to have a little "knobbier" tire for loose and wet conditions.

My wheels are advertised as "tubeless ready" so I think I might give tubeless a whirl. I'd like to find a tire that will work tubeless, won't break the bank, and will give me better traction.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wish I could answer your question but have never tried them. But I did respond so I could subscribe.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I run Michelin on my vehicles as well, Can't beat the tread life!

I have never run Michelin on my bike ('12 Superfly AL Elite -- same Mustang wheels as yours), but the owner of the LBS where I got it recommends Wild Racr on the rear, and Wild Gripr on the front. According to him, they work fine with the Trek TLR rims and strips.

Tubeless is definitely the way to go. The only thing to be careful about is that you mount the rim strips on the offset-bed rim in the proper direction. Look at the BOTTOM of the rim strip when determining how to mount it. If you do it wrong, it can be removed by threading a bolt in the valve stem hole. There is a good two-part YouTube video on installing Bontrager TLR that I have been told is by Keith Bontrager himself.

Most people use Stan's goo. It seals the best, but makes a mess inside your tire that is impossible to clean. For the last year and a half or so I have been using regular old auto Slime for tires from Wal-Mart. It is cheap, readily available, easy to clean up, and seals the greenbriar holes we get around here no problem.

Stans recommends 4 oz of goo per wheel. Two is plenty. You can get by with less, but find it hurts reliability and shortens the time between maintenance. With 2 oz per wheel you will save about 85 grams of weight total -- a noticeable but not dramatic difference in how it rides.

I weigh 175, and run 25 psi rear and 20 psi front, a little less if the ground is soft. You can go way less, but I don't like the way it handles.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I actually run Michelin Wild Grip Advanced 2.25 on the 26" bike and love them. They are light weight, roll fast and have pretty good grip. I have mine set-up tubeless. The only thing that they don't do well with is sharp rocks. They have thin sidewalls so the sharp rocks can cause cuts.

Would also agree with the statement on the car tires, I love my Michelin car tires.

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
I ran Mich Wild Racer at Sea Otter in '13.
Great fast rolling tire.
They do not last in the rocks though.
I also run Orange Seal for tubeless. Does not leave boogers in tire like the other brand.
It seals up to a 1/2" gash no problem.
Just with rocks I deal with in AZ the tire just couldn't handle it.
If I were to bet a spare set of wheels I would use them again for racing areas like Sea Otter.

Reactions: DennisF

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Owtdorz, how long does the Orange Seal last before drying out? If it gets dry can you just add water?

Thanks!
Here in AZ I add 4oz to each wheel every couple months.
No adding water.
What Orange Seal does is coat the inside of the wheel/tire.
I've seen the cutaway of a tire as well as my own tires.
It does not mix with anything else.
If you are using something else you have to re-tape and start with a fresh tire. You can get away with scrubbing the iside of the tire but you still have to re-tape and use new valve stem.
I will never go back to the other brand.
BTW This stuff is orange and WILL stain.
I've gotten some on my kit and wear it as a badge of honor.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I ran the Wild Race R for a year on my 26" bike. The tread pattern is very similar to the Specialized Fast Track and rolls very well. The tires were great, fast rolling for the summer months. I did however puncture a rear on a 1/2" dia stem of brush that was cut next to the trail...I don't think any tire would have survived that, it was sharp. I was set up tubeless and the 2.25" front had great volume.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The old Wild Grippers from the 90's worked very well in their intended purpose.
In the motocross world the Michelin Starcross tires are a very, very well respected tire.

I would like to try some Michelins on my bicycles again!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have any tire suggestions? I gotta get these Bontrager 29-1 Expert 29x2.20" tires off before they kill me. My terrain is probably typical northeastern US, which is rocky, rooty, and sometimes muddy. I know I cannot get everything from one tire but these Bontrager tires suck bad. I ate it yesterday going fast around a little tiny turn that my old 26er with Nevegals had no issues with...ever.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,335 Posts
Does anyone have any tire suggestions? I gotta get these Bontrager 29-1 Expert 29x2.20" tires off before they kill me. My terrain is probably typical northeastern US, which is rocky, rooty, and sometimes muddy. I know I cannot get everything from one tire but these Bontrager tires suck bad. I ate it yesterday going fast around a little tiny turn that my old 26er with Nevegals had no issues with...ever.
You might not like this answer, but if it's dry, the 29-1 is actually a great tire in the NE.

Tire pressure is going to determine how well it works for you, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was running them at 30psi Tuesday and it was very sketchy on rocks and any mud at all.

Unless it's august here I will always encounter some mud on the trails.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Subscribed

I will echo the sentiments of some of the others: love the Michelins on my Element. For my new 650b hardtail I elected to try Wild Grip'R2 Advanced 2.25 tires because of Michelin's rep. On paper it looks like a good option: not terribly light but has a UST-like beefy sidewall, tubeless ready bead, chunky knobs. I was choosing between these, Pana-centi Neo Motos, Maxxis Ardent, and Bonty XR3 Team. In the end, I took the weight hit for the promise of a longer lasting tire. I will post my impressions when the tires (and the bike) arrive.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
UPDATE:

The Wild Grip'R2 Advanced 27.5x2.25 tires are pretty amazing so far. They are indeed very well made and lovely to hold. They set up tubeless well, according to my LBS. The knobs are square edged and tall. They are holding up well in the rocky mess that I ride. The tires snap and protest loudly when the knobs are forced to give up their grip, but there is no damage to the knobs so far. Braking and climbing traction are excellent. The tread favors aggressive cornering, as there are no transitional knobs. Honestly, I could not be more pleased. I am using these tires on WTB i23 rims. You could easily roll i25s as well to squeeze a bit more cornering stability from these grippy tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts