Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a pair of the Mud 2s. 700x30c, the only size available. At 45 psi, new, they are exactly the same width as my 700x35c Continental Cyclocross Speeds. They weigh in at 330 grams--about 25 grams lighter than my Speeds (which have about 1000 miles on them). They roll fast--not as the Speeds, but fast, and seem much improved offroad. No mud yet, but on wet grass, traction is predictable, and when they do break away, it is linear and easy to recover. Cornering traction and climbing ability is worlds better than the speeds on anything other than hardpack. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Subscribed to hear any input. After racing CX for the last couple years on my 29er with Richey Speedmax 700x40, I now have a proper CX bike and I have a set of Mich Mud2s and Maxxis Raze. I picked the Mud2s because internet searches seem to place it pretty much at the top for a do it all clincher that works well in nasty conditions, and the Raze because they were on sale for $10 ea. I've mounted up the Raze because it is early in the season and we have no mud/wet to worry about yet. Have yet to even mount up the Mud2s.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which model of Conti? That weight for a 700x35 seems good. I had some 35 Speed King folding and I believe they came in at 430g each.
The Contis are the Continental Cyclocross Speeds (Small diamond tread pattern). I didn't weigh them new...but with 1k miles on them (the little x grooved into the diamonds is just starting to wear off), they weigh right at 355 grams.

The Mud 2s were put to practice today. They were GREAT on wet grass, dirt, rocks, tree roots, and just about every off-road surface you could find. However, I took a corner fast on pavement (not screaming, but fast), and the rear end washed out on me completely. I went down hard. It is by no means a fair comparison, but I know the Speeds would have held that corner.

So the verdict is: they're going to be great cross tires. They would be great single track tires. They would probably be pretty good in the snow. But they are not for commuting, asphalt, or super hard surfaces. Too squirmy.

As an aside: I had them sitting at 85 psi last night to stretch them in. This morning, I dropped them down to 45 rear and 42 front, which is what I ran in practice (I weigh about 160). At that pressure, after the overnight, they were about 1.5mm wider than the 700x35c Cyclocross Speeds.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this a common thing to do? I've never done it or really heard of it.
The max PSI on these is 85, so I wasn't overinflating them. I was just inflating them to a pressure that was within their limits, to see if they had any stretch. They did (a bit). Since I'll be running them at much lower pressures (half of that or less), I wanted to give them a chance to stretch out a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.