Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can't comment on big climbs, but the BikePark does roll fine.
IMO, the BikePark strengths are a Tougher Casing and Value.

Both of my previous rear tires didn't fare so well in the chunk (Hans Dampf or a Specialized Purgatory).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just ordered a set of DH34 race models front and rear for my main squeeze.

Normally, I run WTB Verdict 2.5 light/high grip and WTB Judge 2.4 tough/fast rolling. 29s. Cush Core Pros on both. But the tire stock has been so **** lately.

Verdict with CC is roughly 1400 grams and the Judge with CC is about 1600 grams.

The DH34 is 1450 grams. So I may actually SAVE weight with the DH34s since I'm not planning on running inserts with them. That's a win in my book.

Not really worried about weight and rolling resistance since I've been running my setup(which is DH levels of weight and rolling resistance already) for nearly 2 years.

Pretty excited about trying the DH34s. Has anyone managed to set the beat with a floor pump? Or is an air compressor necessary?

·
Registered
548 Posts
sealing hte bead on my DH34 is cake. The wire bead is so stiff that I generate pressure immediately without effort.

Getting that beat to seat fully is something else. It's so stiff I just does not want to sit up on that rim, and takes so much pressure to snap into place. Oddly (or not), it will hold pressure just fine when not sitting fully in place, and you can go riding. Not that that is a good idea on a lopsided tire, but doesn;t lose air.

Caveat, I'm on 26's with "not ideal" rims. The non TR rim I simply can;t seat the beat right. On the TR rim I can seat it fully but BOY it took pressure to get there.

Unlike a floppy tire like an Ardent Race, it was effortless to get enough contact around the bead to hold pressure to start the process with a floor pump only. I could probably do it with a hand pump.

·
Registered
845 Posts
sealing hte bead on my DH34 is cake. The wire bead is so stiff that I generate pressure immediately without effort.

Getting that beat to seat fully is something else. It's so stiff I just does not want to sit up on that rim, and takes so much pressure to snap into place. Oddly (or not), it will hold pressure just fine when not sitting fully in place, and you can go riding. Not that that is a good idea on a lopsided tire, but doesn;t lose air.

Caveat, I'm on 26's with "not ideal" rims. The non TR rim I simply can;t seat the beat right. On the TR rim I can seat it fully but BOY it took pressure to get there.

Unlike a floppy tire like an Ardent Race, it was effortless to get enough contact around the bead to hold pressure to start the process with a floor pump only. I could probably do it with a hand pump.
Thanks! That's good to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a dh22 F and DH34 R on 29” Santa Cruz reserve 30’s for a week. In that time I have tried everything to get these seated and I mean everything. I being an ex mechanic of 6 years and competent home mechanic I thought it’s time to know your beat and I need help. 2 Independent bike shops and an industrial compressor later still not even one bead seated.

Honestly I’m disappointed, I was really looking forward to trying these but such poor quality control from Michelin explains why so many people go back to maxxis.

These might be the best tires available for their intended use but they are fit for purpose if I’m honest.

Before I send them back has anyone had any luck with seating these on SC reserve rims?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have had a dh22 F and DH34 R on 29” Santa Cruz reserve 30’s for a week. In that time I have tried everything to get these seated and I mean everything. I being an ex mechanic of 6 years and competent home mechanic I thought it’s time to know your beat and I need help. 2 Independent bike shops and an industrial compressor later still not even one bead seated.

Honestly I’m disappointed, I was really looking forward to trying these but such poor quality control from Michelin explains why so many people go back to maxxis.

These might be the best tires available for their intended use but they are fit for purpose if I’m honest.

Before I send them back has anyone had any luck with seating these on SC reserve rims?
I had no issues setting up my 34. It mounted easy, and the bead popped into place with a quick shot of a low powered compressor. Not sure if you read my post about what a joke it was to break the bead though. No one else has reported the issue I had, no one else has reported the issue you are having. We'll see if more people report bead issues. I really liked everything about my 34 until I had to cut it off the rim to replace it.

The maxxis wobble is a clear issue that's been reported by many. Time will tell if mich is having a bead issue. Both the 22 and 34 sell in tiny numbers compared to comparable maxxis so it may be a while before we see a pattern emerge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I finally got them seated.
For the record, anyone out there who tries to fit these to Santa Cruz reserve rims what you need to do is double or triple layer your tubeless tape to get them to fit tight enough.
Then they go up without needing a compressor or airshot.

Im going to call victory and have a whiskey to celebrate

61 - 67 of 67 Posts