Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well, makes me happy I do NOT have the park tires. I get the stickiest tire and strongest sidewall. I do run at 16 psi front and back (I’m a buck fifty) and I prefer tubes, and those sidewalls mean no danger of pinch flats even when my LBS says WTF are you running so low pressure. May as well be riding on coiled octopus legs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Would you recommend them for all mountain?

Have you had a chance to try them yet?
Late reply, but the answer would in my opinion be a very clear no.
They are a pain to pedal around, absolutely horrible rolling resistance, these are purely for DH or more serious enduro/freeride use, for lighter use it's just not worth it.
I swapped to some Vittorias for the rest of the summer, and will put these back on when fall hits and things start to get quite slippery around here.

If you for some reason prioritize grip over all else, then they do make sense, as the traction on these is just crazy, they will hold a line through anything as long is it doesn't get too muddy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't mind the rolling resistance...I think :p

I normally run an insert in the rear, sounds like it won't be needed with these Bike Park Tires.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The rolling resistance isn’t quite like Velcro, but close.

Still, its nice to know that I don’t have to slow down coming into an off camber turn on a hillside riding on loose dust and gravel. There’s a huge benefit to that confidence boost, knowing my front wheel won’t wash out, like some other high performance tires

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
One ride on the park in mixed winter conditions so I won't go into handeling charecteristics other than to say it's pretty similar to the DHR up front. Shocker right. I'm snowed in now so next ride will be a trip to AZ but I'll go ahead and provide some info for those interested in the park casing. The casing is pretty similar to Mich's advanced reinforced casings just with a wire bead and overall it feels less supple. While there's nothing stated on the casing about the compound it appears to be the same gumx used on some of their other tires. Gumx is a great compound similar to maxxterra I would say so it's hardly the kind of cheaper long wearing compound you might expect on a "park" tire designed for lift service longevity. From my vantage, the park is basically an advanced reinforced gumx compound with a wire bead to bring the price down. The park is impressively cheap while being far from a cheap tire. I got one for 39.99 shipped. That's by far the best price I've seen for a new mold tire. it's a smoking deal! If this tire said maxxis on the sidewall it probably would have won PB's budget component of the year award. As far as sizing goes mine mounted up small at 2.3 on a 25mm rim. After one ride it stretched to 2.35. Knowing mich tires, it will stretch to 2.4 and maybe a hair over after a few more rides. If you don't want a full DH casing with soft compound, and can get over the wire bead on an "enduro" casing, put the park at the top of your next tire list. The park is a real sleeper you wont' be disappointed in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi guys,

Any more experiences on using the DH34 or 22s on an enduro rig that still needs to climb? Specially compared to a DH DHR2 or Assegai.

Lots of conflicting reports around, some people say they're bonkers slow others quite happy to pedal them around. One detail seems to be relevant, is that they combine badly with inserts in terms of rolling resistance

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I find rolling speed for the park gumx compound similar to DHR maxxterra. The DHR might roll a little bit faster. While I haven't tried the DH34 DH casing with magix I've run magix plenty of times. It's slow and sticky like most if not all super soft compounds. I would expect it to roll similarly to a maxxgrip dhr DH, though I would give the nod to maxxgrip when talking about rolling speed. Magix is pretty darn slow, but it is crazy grippy. Because the 34 has braking sips on every lug, it's going to give up a little speed in the pattern too but it's not huge. I've only run the assegai exo maxxterra up front so I wont' comment on that one.

You should think of the Park as a wire bead enduro tire. It's a great option for mid travel bikes with a casing that sits somewhere between exo and double down. It's not as robust as DD and I dont' have enough ride time to comment on durability. I'm expecting similar durability to advanced reinforced casings. If you're only interested in the DH casing, but are concerned with rolling speed, I would go with the DHR in maxxterra. If you were planning on running maxxgrip than the dh34 would be in that ballpark. Considering we can get the DHR DH with a folding bead that would push me over to maxxis. I'm a fan on the DH34, but casing/compounds are limited. I would like to see them drop the wire bead for both DH and Park, and add a gumx version for the DH casing.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I've got enough time on the 34 now to give a few thoughts. I'm running the park in the back with a dhr 2.4 maxxgrip exo up front, 27" wheels. These two tires work well together as you would assume. All but one ride on the 34 have been in very dry Sedona. Their trails are turning to silt and sand which I've never seen in January. Traction was lower than I've ever experienced there. The trails are so loose and dry they are falling apart in spots. Plenty of benched in sections have crumbled off into nothing but loose sand. There was one short punchy climb on hangover I couldn't get up because the sand was so deep. it's a section I normally clean that's physically tough but not technically challenging. This should give you an idea of how poor traction was.

Considering the conditions, the 34 did very well. Braking traction is outstanding. It's a little better than the DHR. No surprise considering all center lugs have braking sips. When cornering the differences between the dhr and 34 stand out. The 34 is more buttoned down because the channel between center and shoulder lugs isn't as pronounced. The 34's staggered shoulder lugs provide more traction during lower lean angles all the way to the point of drifting. Some will prefer that over the DHR. Personally I like the feel of the DHR's "drift zone". While it's not nearly as pronounced as the DHF, it's still there and I love it. It took a few rides to get a feel for drifting the 34 like a minion because it didn't want to break loose and catch like I'm used to with the DHR. The 34 is happy to play that game though, I just needed to feel it out. It was fun pushing the should lugs into a drift then reining it back in. The 34 excels at this, it just doesn't communicate the transition from center to shoulder as well as the DHR. When it comes to such communication nothing I've tired matches the DHF and R. Many complain about a "vague" feel with the minion's, especially the DHF, but that's what a prominent channel between center and shoulder is all about. I would prefer a bigger gap between center and shoulder but then it would basically be a DHR with more braking sips. As far as climbing goes, the 34 is a traction monster. Braking sips are also climbing sips just set back further than would be ideal. On rocks all this siping produces copious amounts of traction. THe only times I fully lost traction climbing was out of the saddle, leaning forward, low gear power moves in sand, or sand covered rocks. In the saddle I slowly worked through awkward tech climbs with a surprising amount of control given the poor conditions. My last rear tire was a DHF maxxgrip DD 2.5. The 34 park felt lighter and faster rolling. The tread pattern should be slower so it's all about the compound and casing weight. I had no durability issues at 27 to 23psi, but I only have 6 rides on it. I don't see the 34 as a dry only tire. It's dry biased, but the lugs aren't as broad as the DHR so it should be better than that tire when you have loam to dig into. The 34 is the kind of tire that could be a year round tire anywhere in the country, but there are better options when wet is the default. I'm a big fan of the 34 and at 39 bucks it's a real deal.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have not. I think it would make a great front tire.

I just inspected my tire and realized I have a gash in the top casing. It must not be all they way through because there's no sign of sealant, and gashes like this never seal for me. I've experienced poor durability with Michelin's advanced reinforced casings (wild rock'r2). I'm not really expecting much better from the park. If both casings used the same bead they would be close in weight. I'm not going to run an insert with it (I have procore and airliner I use with exo sometimes). That would put it heavier than DH tubeless which has always been bomber for me. I won't draw any conclusions on durability as anything can gash or pinch especially in very rocky terrain. I didn't flat. I'll consider this glass half full, but if I'm honest with myself, I'll be surprised if I wear this one out before it flats.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm now 2 rides deep on the DH34s.
Only one regret so far, not to have got them sooner.

Climbing
First, they suck in tarmac, for real. If your access climbs are paved I'd steer away from these.
Second, surprisingly, they don't suck everywhere else, at all. On anything that's not pavement such as dirt paths, cobblestone or gravel, they climb fine. A little slower to accelerate and marginally slower rolling than the WEs, but perfectly doable and the handicap can be met with a couple of weeks of training.
Third, they rock at technical climbs. This was the big surprise for me. A big percentage of my climbs are steep and technical and I was amazed how well the DH tyres performed there. They're way better here than the WE. In situations where I'd have to sprint to gain momentum or do lots of body English to keep traction with the DH34 I can just sit down and tractor through, saving energy. I know, it sounds weird to praise a DH tyre for climbing performance, but I invite you to try it.
Overall, this was so uneventful that kind of made me wish I had went all the way down the road for the DH22.

Downhill is obviously where they shine, but I guess everyone already knew this by now. One relevant detail is wet/mud performance. Michelin advertises these as an hardpack tyre, but they manage to do well in winter conditions. I'd say they're roughly on par with the WE on the mud/loose, the front maybe 5% worse at most. Makes me think how superlative the DH22 should be in the winter.

Anyway, really happy. Are these for everyone? I don't think so. If you have to climb a lot on pavement, value a very reactive and poppy bike, ride mostly flowy trails and never had issues with casing resistance, then I'd say to look somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was really impressed with the park until removal. By far the most stubborn bead I've ever dealt with and I've run plenty wire beads. I hope I got a bad one. If anyone else deals with a pita removal please post. Installation was no prob so I'm confused as to why the bead was SO difficult to break. I had to use a metal lever and a hammer. Very little chance I would have been able to install a tube trail side had I flatted.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can barely seat that bead. I’m ok with that, it’s still a great tire.

flat on the trail? Not sure how that could happen frankly. The sidewall is like an inch of rubber on each side.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Have you removed one yet? If not post back when you do. I'm curious if I bought a bad one. I'm not talking about a tough bead to break, I'm talking WTF. I have a lot of experience with wire bead DH tires from multiple brands, but I've never dealt with anything like this. Hopefully I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Initially I ran the Park a tube, now tubeless. Does that count?
No issues to report :D

It could be my EX511 rims.
Not all rims are created equal...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Initially I ran the Park a tube, now tubeless. Does that count?
No issues to report :D

It could be my EX511 rims.
Not all rims are created equal...
That's good to hear. Hopefully I got an odd duck that somehow welded itself to the rim. Mine was mounted to an ex471 so same rim bead as you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im considering to put in rear one michelin bikepark 29!
its like maxxgrip DHR in pedaling?or better one?
I doing very big climbs in my rides 600-900 meters in 25-35km!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts