Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have to wait too. My tires are in no-mans land between customs and USPS delivery. Supposed to be here on the 8th but who knows when they show up.

I hope tomorrow or Friday, I wanted to ride them on Saturday!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got a reply from the folks at www.bike-components.de (which is where I actually ordered mine).

"All colleagues who tried them out were impressed and quiet happy with them. So definitely worth a try"

FWIW

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have to wait too. My tires are in no-mans land between customs and USPS delivery. Supposed to be here on the 8th but who knows when they show up.
Whiterabbitt,
Did they arrive?
Looks like my order is back-ordered...don't expect them until end of July :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Still stuck in “inbound from customs” :(

Internet says when I get stuck in this loop I’ll get the parts 12 days late with no updates from the tracking system. Pre coronavirus delay adders. They cleared customs on the 4th :( :(

Contacted the post office, but hopefully they come in soon....

:( :( :( :( :(

------------------------------------------

6-30 Update: Lordy, what a wait! 24 days in customs, they left New York on the 28th and are finally percolating through USPS to get to CA.

Beware ordering anything internationally, the customs wait is brutal.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I ordered them just before Memorial Day. They arrived today. be aware, anything that passes customs in NYC is a month away.

Arrived one day before a 5 day family camping trip. No chance to ride until next week.

First impressions riding at my house though:

1. My yard is mulch-land. My old tires roll right over this. These tires pick up all sorts of mulch and throw it all over the place. Crazy levels of grip, there. It's like putting racing slicks on your car then driving through a parking lot, you throw up gravel behind you like a rooster tail.

2. My old tires, I would turn on the street and could lean over far enough that the rear would squirt out from under me and I'd flop over like a wet noodle. These tires DO NOT LOSE GRIP. I can't lean over far enough to lose traction. I just turn. Rapidly. I could lean over harder at speed, but I'm not gonna do that in shorts and a t-shirt in front of my house on the pavement.

3. I run tubes, but at 17-ish psi, they feel like they are at way higher pressure. The material in these tires is STIFF! I bet I could run 12 PSI or less without danger to pinch flatting. I'll probably experiment with lower pressures after my first ride next Saturday.

4. The graphics are goofy. But they could be alot worse. They wash out the green on my rear triangle and make it look yellow. Purely vanity.

5. I forgot to weigh them, but they are 26" tires. I think they weigh less than some XC 29" tires :)

·
Banned
976 Posts
I ordered them just before Memorial Day. They arrived today. be aware, anything that passes customs in NYC is a month away.

Arrived one day before a 5 day family camping trip. No chance to ride until next week.

First impressions riding at my house though:

1. My yard is mulch-land. My old tires roll right over this. These tires pick up all sorts of mulch and throw it all over the place. Crazy levels of grip, there. It's like putting racing slicks on your car then driving through a parking lot, you throw up gravel behind you like a rooster tail.

2. My old tires, I would turn on the street and could lean over far enough that the rear would squirt out from under me and I'd flop over like a wet noodle. These tires DO NOT LOSE GRIP. I can't lean over far enough to lose traction. I just turn. Rapidly. I could lean over harder at speed, but I'm not gonna do that in shorts and a t-shirt in front of my house on the pavement.

3. I run tubes, but at 17-ish psi, they feel like they are at way higher pressure. The material in these tires is STIFF! I bet I could run 12 PSI or less without danger to pinch flatting. I'll probably experiment with lower pressures after my first ride next Saturday.

4. The graphics are goofy. But they could be alot worse. They wash out the green on my rear triangle and make it look yellow. Purely vanity.

5. I forgot to weigh them, but they are 26" tires. I think they weigh less than some XC 29" tires :)
Lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
As far as the weight goes lets keep in mind. When the Comp 32 and 24 were the go to tires the Comp 32 in a 26"x2.8 were around 1400gr and we used a 400gr tube on a 650-700gr rim.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
As far as the weight goes lets keep in mind. When the Comp 32 and 24 were the go to tires the Comp 32 in a 26"x2.8 were around 1400gr and we used a 400gr tube on a 650-700gr rim.
Yep. Tubeless DH is so much nicer. Honestly, there's little that's changed over the years with DH casings in regards to weight. 1.4kg is where any proper DH casing would sit now in a full 26x2.8 size. That's just a lot of rubber. 650b is only 25mm bigger adding around 40g. Folding DH casings will cut around 100g, but most of today's DH tires are wire so there's really little difference in weight compared to 15+ years ago. When I saw the original posted weight of 1.2kg for 26x2.4 in a soft compound, I assumed it would have to be folding to achieve that light weight. While I've yet to see a verified weight, it sounds like 26x2.4 will come in at 1.3kg which is par for the course now, and 15 years ago.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,379 Posts
You sure about that part?, it seems way heavier than what I was running. Maybe more like 500-600 or so?

In case, I wouldn't say the Comp 32s were a "go to", it was more like a short experiment where we figured out that too wide was slow, just like the Gazzis and Arrow 3.0 DH tires. The Comp 24.1 was just too soft to run more than a few days IME. Tires from Intense and Maxxis quickly overshadowed these and the Michelin tires faded into obscurity pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You sure about that part?, it seems way heavier than what I was running. Maybe more like 500-600 or so?

In case, I wouldn't say the Comp 32s were a "go to", it was more like a short experiment where we figured out that too wide was slow, just like the Gazzis and Arrow 3.0 DH tires. The Comp 24.1 was just too soft to run more than a few days IME. Tires from Intense and Maxxis quickly overshadowed these and the Michelin tires faded into obscurity pretty fast.
I think my sun mammoths were well over 700g. I mostly ran sun ryno lite's though which were 510g I believe. They were not daily driver DH rims though. I remember there being a few 700g+ rims, mostly sun ringle. The double track was like 800g! Mavic had some real heavy options too. For the 1% emulating bender, they actually needed such heavy rims.

·
Registered
548 Posts
well I should apologize, since I didn't weigh them before installation. And they were painful to install, so I'm not taking them off.

But they definitely don't fold. shipped from Germany, and I could have fit a spare tire for a prius in the box they arrived in.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ride report.

I rode on gravel fireroad, and hardpack singletrack with bowlingball sized rocks. Also the street with my Wife yesterday for a couple miles.

My tires are set up with tubes at 16 psi, front and back.

The rolling resistance is terrible. Terrible. I have to work noticeably harder when pedalling. It's especially a bummer going up hill, obviously.

Going down, it's like the wheels are stuck on rails. It doesn;t really matter how hard or loose the ground is. In a rut, out of a rut, the bike tracks where I point it, and the traction goes on for days. I clocked >32 mph on loose gravel, and >21mph on the hardpack singletrack between the rock gardens.

Overall, very sweet. The grip is outstanding, and a huge confidence booster in the rock garden, and going into turns.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for the ride report.
Sounds like I won't be running inserts with these...

No worries about the weight, I'll post mine once they arrive (both 27.5 and 29ers).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Inserts? Tubes?

I have them at 12 psi now. I think MAYBE there might be a chance to pinch flat, but i doubt it. OTOH, i weigh a buck fifty, over 6 foot, XL frame, and 130/150mm on suspension, so that helps too.

Since the grip is crazy good, I need a suggestion on what pressure to try to reduce rolling resistance. 20 psi? Something that probably wont impact grip for me, but improve resistance. Then ill have it all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
IMG_20200621_013654.jpg

Put them on my enduro bike 3-4 weeks ago, super happy with them so far.
They have absolutely absurd grip in dry conditions, haven't really tried them in slop yet.
Rolling resistance is very high, especially on tarmac, which shouldn't surprise anyone.
They hold a line through pretty much any and all chunk, ruts, roots or rocks, doesn't faze them at all.
A small detail I noted, was that they don't like high tire pressure, they become quite drifty if over inflated, but it's very controllable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What tire pressure do you suggest? I used 16 and got lots of resistance. I set to 12 yesterday cause i think the tires can handle that, then realized what the heck am I doing? I don’t need to improve the grip! So today I set to 20 to see if i can improve rolling resistance without sacrificing grip.

But i dont like drifty, controllable or not. So ill use whatever is under the border of drifty and God bless the rolling resistance. So what pressures did you find to be drifty, and which not?

Ive only tried 16 so far.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What tire pressure do you suggest? I used 16 and got lots of resistance. I set to 12 yesterday cause i think the tires can handle that, then realized what the heck am I doing? I don’t need to improve the grip! So today I set to 20 to see if i can improve rolling resistance without sacrificing grip.

But i dont like drifty, controllable or not. So ill use whatever is under the border of drifty and God bless the rolling resistance. So what pressures did you find to be drifty, and which not?

Ive only tried 16 so far.
Think I run 18/20 at the moment, seems like a good compromise for me and my conditions.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Went to 20, took a road ride with my wife, i can’t feel the difference in rolling resistance.

I suspect 16-20 wont change much for performance.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Found a review of the DH34 and Bike Park Model on Youtube
Nice find! So I have no idea why mich didn't provide basic info about the park. According to this it has a lighter sidewall, different tpi and gumx compound. With the "park" name I assumed a really hard, long lasting compound. Gumx is pretty standard medium compound you'll find on a lot of popular tires. I'm guessing the casing is going to be similar to mich's advanced reinforced they use on their enduro tires. TPI is the same as my wild rock'r2. Not sure why mich wants to make things confusing for us? All they needed to do was say DH and enduro casings with soft, or medium compounds. While I find advanced reinforced an ok casing, it's far from DH. We'll see if I'm right is assuming the park uses that casing. Too bad he didn't weigh the park.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts