Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first DH day of the season this weekend. I bought the new Michelin DH 34 back in November 2020. Well after riding this weekend I noticed a single crack in the sidewall on each tire. It’s not a big one but still is this normal?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
tire stored improperly near an ozone source

see if you can get a refund/replacement

/thread

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
it's a warranty case, slam dunk imho. handle it that way.

ozone yes can degrade tires but full circle both sides ? too much coincidence, too even
that looks like a bad batch, not rot.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That just looks like a casting mark from when they made the tyre. I'd just ride it.

Tim

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
Casting mark ? Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that tire is shite. How or why ? bad batch or stored in enclosed area and ozone rot.

That tire may live a long time, but with that crack and being super new, it's a warranty replacement. it's rotted and the rubber cannot be trusted to perform as intended. Knobs might just crumble off suddenly on some steep braking granite descents in no-fall zone. I'd shelve it.

Rubber can look and feel good right up until it isn't (I've had shoe soles be perfect and then next day, while walking, they go from No problem to crumble to dust in 20 steps. ) When rubber batches fail the entire matrix falls apart like a signal was sent to all rubber molecules to break in half right now. not saying it will happen to a tire...but rubber can and does fail in strange ways.....cracks are only normal after getting a few thousand miles outta a tire...not a few thousand feet.

the dang logo is essentially spotless. proof it's barely ridden

look at this knob, it already wants to leave the party

Reactions: Radium

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Casting mark ? Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that tire is shite. How or why ? bad batch or stored in enclosed area and ozone rot.

That tire may live a long time, but with that crack and being super new, it's a warranty replacement. it's rotted and the rubber cannot be trusted to perform as intended. Knobs might just crumble off suddenly on some steep braking granite descents in no-fall zone. I'd shelve it.

Rubber can look and feel good right up until it isn't (I've had shoe soles be perfect and then next day, while walking, they go from No problem to crumble to dust in 20 steps. ) When rubber batches fail the entire matrix falls apart like a signal was sent to all rubber molecules to break in half right now. now saying it will happen to a tire...but cracks are only normal after
getting a few thousand miles outta a tire...not a few thousand feet.

View attachment 1929067
Yea I contacted Michelin unfortunately they don’t do consumer warranties for bike tires, so I contacted the Amazon seller as they can submit the claim to Michelin. For now I am going back to my Maxxis DH tires.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had that EXACT same issue with a Wild Enduro Front. Cracked on both sides, all the way around. I contacted Michelin but they wouldn’t work with me to warranty a bike tire. I returned to Amazon and got a full refund. Too bad as I really liked the tire otherwise.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yea I contacted Michelin unfortunately they don’t do consumer warranties for bike tires, so I contacted the Amazon seller as they can submit the claim to Michelin. For now I am going back to my Maxxis DH tires.
Buying stuff on Amazon has become such a hassle anymore. It made sense when they were the cheapest, but that's not the case anymore. Bike shops have identical prices on almost everything I've found lately. They aren't even the cheapest for other things around the house anymore either. I think people are just programmed to keep going back however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buying stuff on Amazon has become such a hassle anymore. It made sense when they were the cheapest, but that's not the case anymore. Bike shops have identical prices on almost everything I've found lately. They aren't even the cheapest for other things around the house anymore either. I think people are just programmed to keep going back however.
I contacted the seller and got issued a refund this morning. They did offer to replace them but I already ordered Maxxis tires

·
Registered
934 Posts
Crap. I just ordered a set of DH34s. I hope mine aren't like this.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
789 Posts
um. easiest place to return to? yes. fast delivery for cheaper than other shops? yes. it ain't about the price anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts