Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently have dvo onyx SC D1 on my ripmo AF as it came stock. i was doing some warranty work with Manitou and long story short, they gave me 50% off any product so thinking of grabbing mezzer pro and putting it on my Ripmo.
anyone has ride time on both? will i be loosing something by going with mezzer pro? the consensus seem to be that its a great fork. its also 200g lighter than dvo.
any input appreciated

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
currently have dvo onyx SC D1 on my ripmo AF as it came stock. i was doing some warranty work with Manitou and long story short, they gave me 50% off any product so thinking of grabbing mezzer pro and putting it on my Ripmo.
anyone has ride time on both? will i be loosing something by going with mezzer pro? the consensus seem to be that its a great fork. its also 200g lighter than dvo.
any input appreciated
For the price you could get the mezzer for you can use it for 6 weeks, if you don't like it then sell it for 25% more than what you paid.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
My Mezzer Pro is absolutely amazing in every situation I’ve used it. I’m not sure if it’s a whole lot better than the Onyx or not. DVO makes great forks too. Well, the Mezzer is certainly lighter.
I guess if your Onyx isn’t everything you want, then the Mezzer might be a better option.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
Have you ridden a onyx?
I haven't ridden the Onyx, but have had two diamonds and emeralds, including having reshimmed both the diamond and emerald to decrease the high speed dampening (spiking) The mezzer is so much plusher and better tracking than the DVOs, it is amazing.

DVO stuff works well for extremely aggressive riders and when pushed hard. It is poor at slower speed riding. The Mezzer works well from slow speed to mach chicken.

Both DVO and Manitou make great products and Ronnie and the crew have treated my son and I very well over the years, but for most riders, I think the Mezzer is a better choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The diamond is a mediocre fork at best. It’s 4 years old now. The emerald is 9 years old... so to answer my question. No you haven’t ridden an onyx? Correct?

Side note, dampening has nothing to do with a fork unless you’re pouring water on it

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
The diamond is a mediocre fork at best. It's 4 years old now. The emerald is 9 years old... so to answer my question. No you haven't ridden an onyx? Correct?

Side note, dampening has nothing to do with a fork unless you're pouring water on it
Response to your side note. I will be more careful to check my spelling when typing on my phone next time I am typing a response while waiting in line for gas. As to the first question, perhaps work on your reading comprehension, the first five words answered the question. The Onyx and Diamond are the same design, same issues, one is just 1mm larger than the other with greater bushing overlap.

just so we know, how much time do you have on an Onyx and how much on a Mezzer?

Reactions: CaveGiant

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
50% off.....buy a Dorado and then a bike to suit :p

Both the Onyx and Mezzer are good forks. Are the Onyx the 2021 updated versions? If they are I wouldn't swap for the Mezzer. The newest Onyx is much more supple over small chatter and feels just as stiff as a Mezzer. Plenty of HSC damping can be used with no harshness and imo they are the equal of a Mezzer but go about things differently.

Mezzer is not as supple but the mid and end stroke can be fettled to whatever you prefer. HBO is a nice feature too.

Mezzer is more tiring tiring to ride over a big day imo.

The older Onyx is ok. The Mezzer is better than that in everything but small chatter.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
50% off.....buy a Dorado and then a bike to suit :p

Both the Onyx and Mezzer are good forks. Are the Onyx the 2021 updated versions? If they are I wouldn't swap for the Mezzer. The newest Onyx is much more supple over small chatter and feels just as stiff as a Mezzer. Plenty of HSC damping can be used with no harshness and imo they are the equal of a Mezzer but go about things differently.

Mezzer is not as supple but the mid and end stroke can be fettled to whatever you prefer. HBO is a nice feature too.

Mezzer is more tiring tiring to ride over a big day imo.

The older Onyx is ok. The Mezzer is better than that in everything but small chatter.
What weight and pressure were you on the Onxy? Because it's a solo air spring with coil negative it's gonna have a narrow sweet spot.
I've got a Markhor (also solo air with coil negative) on one bike and it's also great over small bumps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Response to your side note. I will be more careful to check my spelling when typing on my phone next time I am typing a response while waiting in line for gas. As to the first question, perhaps work on your reading comprehension, the first five words answered the question. The Onyx and Diamond are the same design, same issues, one is just 1mm larger than the other with greater bushing overlap.

just so we know, how much time do you have on an Onyx and how much on a Mezzer?
None on the mezzer, hence why I don't make stupid claims like "there is no comparison" when I've never even actually compared 2 products

Also if you think the only difference in "design" is 1mm diameter you clearly have not opened either

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,989 Posts
Side note, dampening has nothing to do with a fork unless you're pouring water on it
Well, according to the dictionary, you are wrong. Both dampening and damping are acceptable terms to describe attenuating a force.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
None on the mezzer, hence why I don't make stupid claims like "there is no comparison" when I've never even actually compared 2 products

Also if you think the only difference in "design" is 1mm diameter you clearly have not opened either
Keep working on that reading comprehension, I never made such a statement. Six posts in on the forum and you are not doing well.

As far as being inside the forks, I have ample time working on Diamonds and Emeralds, those shim stacks don't change themselves. A bike I maintain has an Onyx, but I haven't had it apart yet, it will come due soon. Since you imply you have time working on both, why don't you tell us the differences in the pistons, shim stacks and mid valves. Perhaps contribute to the conversation instead of just sniping at others!!

Reactions: 006_007
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.