Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely love the fork, can’t say enough good things about the performance, BUT...

Anyone else having issues with the CSU’s, particularly what appears to be the steerer having not been fully pressed into the crown?

Do I just have shitluck, or is there perhaps a known bad batch?

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say shitluck.

Did you contact support??
Any pics?
I'm on my second crown in a fairly short period and contacted them after having settling issues with this current one. As great as Manitou's CS is, my experience with manu's is they keep things like this close to vest so to speak… so I threw it out here.

I'm not sure that pics would capture the problem. At one point with the current CSU I was able to stick a fingernail between the steerer flange and the bottom of the crown. I now have etched lines on the steerer marking where the stem has effectively seated lower after having the HS come loose multiple times. Prob not worth uploading a photo here.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,088 Posts
They had problems with the Mastodon's, where the early forks where the steerer was not tight and the crown/lowers could spin around the steerer. Scary as F.

Reactions: Hawthorn

· Registered
27 Posts
It seems you can't get a decent fork these days, after the creaking csu's we now have moving steerers, great!

At least manitou got the damping and air spring right.

Problem is if it’s actually moving, there's no way to fix it, creaks might stop with some bonding agent but if it moves, you need a new csu.

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to be an alarmist... there seems to be a good amount of people who are content with all aspects of the fork. I'm hoping I can end up being one of those people, just need to determine if (hopefully) is a fluke, or not.

· Registered
12,552 Posts
I'm on my second crown in a fairly short period and contacted them after having settling issues with this current one. As great as Manitou's CS is, my experience with manu's is they keep things like this close to vest so to speak… so I threw it out here.

I'm not sure that pics would capture the problem. At one point with the current CSU I was able to stick a fingernail between the steerer flange and the bottom of the crown. I now have etched lines on the steerer marking where the stem has effectively seated lower after having the HS come loose multiple times. Prob not worth uploading a photo here.
The Mezzer steerer flanges protrude partially from the crown, they are partially set in. I've not found any that weren't fully seated and you would need an extremely long and flexible fingernail to get in there.
But if one isn't fully seated it pulls up as ridden. It takes only a fraction of a mm for a headset to go loose.

They had problems with the Mastodon's, where the early forks where the steerer was not tight and the crown/lowers could spin around the steerer. Scary as F.
No they didn't. Can you stop making up alarmist BS? They had a batch where the steerers didn't seat full depth so it settled over the first few rides resulting in headsets feeling loose. You can't spin a steerer in a crown, they take several tons to press in.

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Mezzer steerer flanges protrude partially from the crown, they are partially set in. I've not found any that weren't fully seated and you would need an extremely long and flexible fingernail to get in there.
But if one isn't fully seated it pulls up as ridden. It takes only a fraction of a mm for a headset to go loose.
A couple rides ago I could find the top edge of the flange with a pick. After today's ride (brutal brake bumps/steeps) I couldn't... after stopping a few times to tighten the preload for what is prob close to an accumulated full turn. Today's etched marking solidified the issue for me.

First CSU, the steerer/crown fitting developed significant play with visible deflection. Any thoughts on this current steerer actually finding "home" and being reliable/creak free?

· Registered
12,552 Posts
A couple rides ago I could find the top edge of the flange with a pick. After today's ride (brutal brake bumps/steeps) I couldn't... after stopping a few times to tighten the preload for what is prob close to a full turn. Today's etched marking solidified the issue for me.

First CSU, the steerer/crown fitting developed significant play with visible deflection. Any thoughts on this current steerer actually finding "home" and being reliable/creak free?
Once a steerer is seated you're good. Headsets put serious loads in to pull it up. Have you contacted Manitou so they can check back with production?

The only time I've seen a steerer with visible deflection was it crimped from badly casing a jump and everything was bent (bent crown, crimped steerer and stanchions - must have hurt!).

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My theory on the deflection... it was ridden pretty hard in various stages of slipping/settling and a loose headset that it actually wallowed out the fit. I could literally see the crown deflect at steerer by standing on the bars and loading the wheel laterally. I would push the wheel up against a wall and the hub would tuck under much more the I've ever experienced. FWIW.

I'll call on Mon to ask again, but I was told it's not common and there were no known issues.

Do you happen to know if the US facilities happen to have the press/drifts to QC/prevent this type of thing?

· Registered
12,552 Posts
My theory on the deflection... it was ridden pretty hard in various stages of slipping/settling and a loose headset that it actually wallowed out the fit. I could literally see the crown deflect at steerer by standing on the bars and loading the wheel laterally. I would push the wheel up against a wall and the hub would tuck under much more the I've ever experienced. FWIW.

I'll call on Mon to ask again, but I was told it's not common and there were no known issues.

Do you happen to know if the US facilities happen to have the press/drifts to QC/prevent this type of thing?
A steerer can't move/remove enough metal to do that. It would have to be a manufacturing fault on crown or steerer. Can't tell which without stripping it out and measuring both to 0.0Xmm.

The US facilities are prototyping, production is in Taiwan.

· Registered
362 Posts
I also had issues. My first CSU developed a nasty creak within the first month (as well as a damper issue). I thought it was where the stanchion met the CSU, however, when it got back to manitou they told me they believe it was from where the steerer met the CSU. They said they couldn’t really confirm though without looking into it further, I really didn’t care much as long as they replaced it, which they did. My second fork has a lower casting issue, which they also fixed.

· Registered
1,214 Posts
Not much to see. Pic is current, didn't take one when it was new and sitting proud. The race is bottomed out on the crown and has been since it was installed with a JO tool. View attachment 1942460
I just checked both my Mezzers and both steerer tubes protrude a few mm more than that for sure.

I've had one CSU replaced for crackling/creaking for info. Did it from new.

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was told by Manitou CS that at manufacturing the steerer is not pressed to a hard stop. It doesn't really sit well given my frustration having chased the issue for nearly three months (and likely killing an expensive HS)... but it does make sense.

The good news, it sounds like the engineers there (supposedly) have the ability to provide a replacement that has been fully pressed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.