Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am moving to Mexico City in a month. I have been told to load up on biking gear because there is no where to buy such items in Mexico City. This seems odd to me given that there is a large mountain biking community in the area and that it's one of the biggest city's on earth! So what's the word, are there really NO places to purchase tires, tubes, hydration, gloves, parts, etc...??

Gracias!!

·
a lazy pedaler
1,924 Posts
I'm in Monterrey but I'll give you my 2 cents...

if you are planning to buy/upgrade some parts in the near future, you better do it now...

of course there are shops...but I haven't heard of any shop where you can find the products/brands variety (not to mention the price) you can get in University Cyclery or the Bicycle Sport Shop or the internet! while you are on US soil...and if you think those shop aren't that good..well, guess about ours.

Be careful on the quantity of products your are bringing though...you can bring as personal goods your bike and bike gear but not a whole shop! ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
kris09 said:
Hello all!

I am moving to Mexico City in a month. I have been told to load up on biking gear because there is no where to buy such items in Mexico City. This seems odd to me given that there is a large mountain biking community in the area and that it's one of the biggest city's on earth! So what's the word, are there really NO places to purchase tires, tubes, hydration, gloves, parts, etc...??

Gracias!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not believe that, in Mexico there are big cities with lots of mountain bikers with good shops, Mexico City, Puebla, Guadalajara, Leon, Aguascalientes, Toluca and several other cities.

You can get almost anything you want, we got any spare, there are good shops, maybe the price are a bit more expensive, but you can get almost everything.

When you need something in this forum you can find help.

Greetings.

the last biker

·
Registered
501 Posts
thats no true, in mexico city you can find almost anything that you need for mountain bike, maybe the bike shops don´t have all the large stocks of merchandise like united states or europe, but you can go shopping and buy all the clasics brands (specialized,giant,merida,trek,cannondel,shimano, avid,maxxis,fox,marzocchi,mavic,rock shox,sram,etc) the prices are higher than states but you can find good deals if you now where to look, and if you need some special part or brand that you can´t find you can always use internet and shop in line.
hey martinsillo eres bastante malinchista.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
brunomu said:
thats no true, in mexico city you can find almost anything that you need for mountain bike, maybe the bike shops don´t have all the large stocks of merchandise like united states or europe, but you can go shopping and buy all the clasics brands (specialized,giant,merida,trek,cannondel,shimano, avid,maxxis,fox,marzocchi,mavic,rock shox,sram,etc) the prices are higher than states but you can find good deals if you now where to look, and if you need some special part or brand that you can´t find you can always use internet and shop in line.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brunomu , tienes razón :

Al rato van a estar preguntando si tenemos coches, autobuses , hoteles ,aviones ,tiendas de ropa , supermercados , starbucks etc etc , si de por sí malinforman a los que vienen a México , hace tiempo que dejamos el sombrero , los huaraches y el jorongo.

Saludos.

the last biker

·
a lazy pedaler
1,924 Posts
brunomu said:
:lol: tuve que googlear eso!

back on topic...well, is not true, but it is... :p

brunomu said:
...maybe the bike shops don´t have all the large stocks of merchandise like united states or europe...the prices are higher than states but you can find good deals if you now where to look
the last biker said:
...You can get almost anything you want, we got any spare, there are good shops, maybe the price are a bit more expensive, but you can get almost everything.
brunomu said:
and if you need some special part or brand that you can´t find you can always use internet and shop in line.
then you'll need to explain him how to deal with the aduana, chinese products, ups or fedex or usps, etc. etc. etc...

all I'm saying is that he will be avoiding some trouble if he has an actual need in the near future...I never said he won't find it here....other than my "you better do it now" my post wasn't that far/different from yours.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,924 Posts
the last biker said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brunomu , tienes razón :

Al rato van a estar preguntando si tenemos coches, autobuses , hoteles ,aviones ,tiendas de ropa , supermercados , starbucks etc etc , si de por sí malinforman a los que vienen a México , hace tiempo que dejamos el sombrero , los huaraches y el jorongo.

Saludos.

the last biker
No quise sonar malinchista amigos.
Mil disculpas a los miembros del foro y a todos los Mexicanos.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
martinsillo said:
No quise sonar malinchista amigos.
Mil disculpas a los miembros del foro y a todos los Mexicanos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martinsillo , no hay necesidad de disculparse , yo tampoco lo dije por algo que tu hayas dicho , lo dije por esto <<< I have been told to load up on biking gear because there is no where to buy such items in Mexico City. >>>

Me saca de onda ese tipo de comentarios de personas que creen que aquí estamos super jodidos y atrasados , digo , sabemos como estamos , pero de ahí a que aquí no se puedan encontrar unas pinc...partes de bicis , caray , y eso que soy ciclista , pero que no se cuelguen de la rama , eso de que no se encuentren llantas y cámaras ............

Saludos.

·
Registered
501 Posts
exacto eso es lo que la gente que viene a mexico por trabajo a vivir cree, y a mi si me encabrona que piensen que estamos en la mierda, estamos jodidos pues si eso ya lo sabemos, pero como dice last biker unas llantas o una suspension, aqui hay todo.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
As others have said, you may not find the array of offer and deals that you may find in the US, but you can find almost anything you want.

This wasn't like that a few years ago, but now it's easy to find bike parts. As always, planning ahead works better. Don't wait until those brake pads are worn to get a pair.

Mexico City is a city with its issues and virtues like any other city. And much like any other city, there are places where you can go at your leisure and others where you shouldn't be if you don't have any good reason.

I may recommend you to use the subway (known as "Metro") as it's cheap, safe and pretty fast. It's not comfortable at rush hours, though.

What kind of riding are you interested on? If you like gravity, you'll love Ajusco. If you are more of the XC-AM side, you'll love Chiluca and other places around.

RitoPC, Tacubaya and others frequent Ajusco. Brunomu and others ride Chiluca and prepare yourself for some climbing as unless you come from Colorado or alike, you'll have to get used to climb well above mile high.

Enjoy!
Bienvenido.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Benotto is the place to look for a cheap bike (there ase some 100 usd offers).... or any no-branded cycle shop where you gan go as low as 60 bucks for some used bikes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Benotto is both a brand name an a bike shop. They sell pretty low end bikes, though the can withstand years of use as commuters. Commuters are nice (except from colours and painting) and cheap.

San Pablo is an area near downtown, but if you don`t speak spanish my guess it will be hard to get a bike there at a reasonable price..... I doubt people speak english at no-branded (ie moms and pops) bike shops, where the cheap deals are. you`ll need to be creative with your communication.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
saxmanpete said:
thanks...I found what I need...
................................................................................................................................

Congrats !! , this forum is excellent :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
saxmanpete said:
I decided to by a Dahon fold up Speed Uno and take it on the plane...
...............................................................................................................................

Fun and friendly bike , but not cheap ,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts