Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a 3 hour ride Saturday after playing flag football for 2 hours. I felt good on the trails but my legs have felt sluggish playing tennis each of the last 3 days.

What do you do to recovery after a long ride? Do you eat a lot of carbs, eat fruit, take the following day off, routinely stretch, take an ice bath?

·
Registered
751 Posts
a very slow ride, or very light exercise, helps better than just pure rest unless there is joint/ligament pain. and by slow i mean you don't even need to shower afterwards.

i don't really change my diet, but do drink more water than usual. if you feel sluggish, listen to your body and tone down the intensity for a couple days after a big ride.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Avoid playing any sport that can be played by a woman in a skirt. That should help. Sex helps too. Actually, let me restate, avoid playing any sport that can be played by a woman in a skirt except sex.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Light exercise.

If you don't find anything suitable above, try walking.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
bank5 said:
I went for a 3 hour ride Saturday after playing flag football for 2 hours. I felt good on the trails but my legs have felt sluggish playing tennis each of the last 3 days.
bank5 goes to the doctor "Doc, every morning when I wake up my wife wants to have sex, then she wants it again before I leave. She comes to the office during lunch and we do it on my desk. As soon as I get home she wants more, again after dinner and twice before we go to sleep."

Doc says "What's the problem?"

bank5 "It hurts when I masturbate."

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeffw-13 said:
bank5 goes to the doctor "Doc, every morning when I wake up my wife wants to have sex, then she wants it again before I leave. She comes to the office during lunch and we do it on my desk. As soon as I get home she wants more, again after dinner and twice before we go to sleep."

Doc says "What's the problem?"

bank5 "It hurts when I masturbate."
Good point...I should go see a doctor :)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hand/of/Midas said:
im really into cytomax musclemilk
fav post ride snack is peanutbutter+honey on a spoon.

the next day just do something to stretch out and warm up to get your legs moving and blood flowing,ride/run whatever, but not a hard pace.
Have you ever tried a peanut butter, honey, banana, raisin sandwich? One of those will keep you full for about 4 hours.

Also, honey shakes are great for getting rid of hangovers.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
"Golden Hour Rule" After heavy exercise, as you have described, you need to get "protein" into you w/in 45 mins to 1hr. This will help your muscles to "repair" quicker and build muscle strength and minimize soreness. If you don't your body starts using "other stuff" to try to make this happen and basically you get what you have been getting. A "light" work out, em-PHA-sis on "light" to work out the residual soreness is advocated, as was above.

I used to keep a jar of peanut butter in my truck and would eat 4-5 spoonfuls on the ride home, then, once home, a protein drink. You will see/feel a difference the next day, guaranteed.

I take honey and peanut butter and mix them up in a bowl to tooth paste consistency and spoon it into a ziploc baggie, then put it into another ziploc baggie and carry this w/me on any 4hr+ rides. Out on th' trail I pull it out and take it out of the 1st baggie and tear the corner off w/my teeth, (put torn off corner in pocket or Camelbak, "leave no trace"), then squirt it into mouth like a gel. Then you take it and put it back into the 1st baggie and zip it up, no fuss, no muss. "Cheap power, quick recovery, homemade gels". It lasts a long time, so don't toss the left overs.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
And you need to understand that it can take muscles up to a week to fully recover. A good practice is to not do any intensity for 48 hours after a long hard ride. Do a little spinning to get the blood flowing and massage those sore muscles while drinking a ton of water. Muscles don't get stronger while riding, they get stronger during recovery.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Treybiker said:
And you need to understand that it can take muscles up to a week to fully recover. A good practice is to not do any intensity for 48 hours after a long hard ride. Do a little spinning to get the blood flowing and massage those sore muscles while drinking a ton of water. Muscles don't get stronger while riding, they get stronger during recovery.
Yep !! Training = tear down. Recovery = repair & stronger than before.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Anonymous said:
Shower, pizza, beer, sleep.

Nuff said.
Well, at least the shower and sleep were good advice. The other two won't do anything to aid in recovery.:madman:

Plenty of things on the net to read and "digest"....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/07/990713073730.htm
http://www.youcanbefit.com/recovery.html
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.htm
http://www.glycemicindex.com/
http://lifehacker.com/395117/eat-real-food-not-recovery-products-after-serious-exercise

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Food wise, i like to make sure i get some protein, along with some carbs to refuel and repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am just getting started, but I find what feels good for me is to do a weekly arc. I ride 3 or 4 times a week, starting with a short(about an hour) and increasing the amount of time till the last day is as long as I can. The last day usually makes my legs feel like hell. The first ride of the new week loosens me up and gets me excited to start it all over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.