Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing a weird noise the over the last rides, however, the first times it was always at the same place in the trail (after a fireroad descent and into a climb, again in fireroad). I figured that I had my rear wheel not installed correctly and redid that.

However, yesterday's ride brought that noise on more times. I think it's around the middle of the bike. At first I thought it could be on the BB, but then I heard it when I wasn't pedaling, and also, I think that most of the times there is not much movement of the suspension.

The bike feels solid, I lifted the bike by the saddle and didn't feel any slop.

I'm thinking it could be or the BB or one of the axles.

Any idea what to search for?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the chainstays and I didn't see any cracks neither on the drive side or the other. All the bolts seems to be tight, and the pivots doesn't have play.

I'll keep checking, thanks.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A pretty dumb question, but how much do I need to tighten the rear QR? I don't think it could be this, but how hard do I need to tighten the rear QR? Does it need to be hard to push the QR lever to close it, or mid or soft?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check your TT where it meets the seat tube. mine was making an awful creaking before it failed right at that weld.
I don't know how much I can check in that area, I don't see any lines in the welding area which would say this is a fracture (at least in potential).

·
Huh?
848 Posts
I don't know how much I can check in that area, I don't see any lines in the welding area which would say this is a fracture (at least in potential).
How long have you had the noise/creak? mine showed up a ride or two before the final break. I always figured it was my seat as the WTB Ti seats tend to creak abit. If you push down on the seat and see if there is any separation at that weld. Mine you could barley see when it first cracked.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
try putting a few drops of tri-flow / chain lube on the plastic bushings at the top of the linkage / horseshoe (white "plastic" bushings). No need to disassemble, just drop on the outside and cycle the suspension - mine made some annoying creaking for a while till i did that.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long have you had the noise/creak? mine showed up a ride or two before the final break. I always figured it was my seat as the WTB Ti seats tend to creak abit. If you push down on the seat and see if there is any separation at that weld. Mine you could barley see when it first cracked.
I think it was for about 4 or 5 rides before. The first times it was at the same spot in the trail where I had to get out of a rut, and I saw that my rear wheel sidewall was a little torn (I just think that it's just wear), so I just thought that I needed to take care of how to tackle that rut.

Last ride was on a different trail, and halfway the route I started hearing it again, but more often.

I checked today, and the bolts at the stem (the ones holding the bar AND the ones holding the stem to the fork) were a little loose, so I tighten them. I tried before that to ride the bike in the street to see if I could first get to replicate the noise before doing anything, but I wasn't able. Also, I think I might have had the top pivot that is on the shock too tight, so I loosened and the retightened that bolt.

I will try to push the saddle as you say and see if there is any movement at the welds (I hope not). I think that it's possible that it's one of the pivots, I think I will test it again next weekend on a easy ride (no crazy stuff) and see if how it behaves.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
try putting a few drops of tri-flow / chain lube on the plastic bushings at the top of the linkage / horseshoe (white "plastic" bushings). No need to disassemble, just drop on the outside and cycle the suspension - mine made some annoying creaking for a while till i did that.
I'll also try that, should I also put a little of that in the rear pivot?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I found the noise-maker.... it's a busted rear wheel nipple. I was checking the tires to see if they were true, and heard a funny noise on the rear wheel. I removed the tire, and the noise kept like it was something rolling inside the rim. I rotated the tire until something came out, and when I was reinstalling the tire, I noticed that one spoke was like jell-o. It is the nippel, the spoke I hope is fine.

Anyway, I need to take the rear wheel to have the nipple replaced and trued.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what it's worth, I just replaced the busted nipple, myself! :thumbsup: I hope it works fine out there, but I'm glad I did that. I also checked all the bolts in the frame and stem, and made sure they were nice and tight.

I won't be able to ride this weekend, but I'm eagerly waiting for next weekend!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts