Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XPOST from Commencal...more traffic here!

thinking of building a Meta 55 (09 frame I believe).
was wondering what the weight would come in at if I had the following build...

Pike 454 air fork
Mavic Crossmax SX (or similar wheelset)
carbon bars, seatpost...etc

Any chance I can get this thing <30 pounds?

even more important...
HA is 68.5, I'm used to a 67.5 C-dale Prophet.
I don't like a steep HA because I ride some tech terrain.
Think it would feel much different?

thanks for any info or comments...
 

·
T.W.O.
Joined
·
8,168 Posts
Can you confirm the frame weight? I read somewhere it listed at 7.75lbs. It's not a light frame. My Ells Moment frame weight 7.5 with DHX air I have build it 28.5 before with 2.35 tires, Duc32 fork, I9 enduro w/ 355rims XT components.

I later add the adj seatpost and flats to make it even 30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weight

mimi1885 said:
Can you confirm the frame weight? I read somewhere it listed at 7.75lbs. It's not a light frame. My Ells Moment frame weight 7.5 with DHX air I have build it 28.5 before with 2.35 tires, Duc32 fork, I9 enduro w/ 355rims XT components.

I later add the adj seatpost and flats to make it even 30.
I think I read it weighs ~7.3 pounds....which isn't very light, but I have been reading reviews how everyone loves this thing.

I'm more concerned how the 68.5* HA will feel vs my 67.5* Prophet
 

·
T.W.O.
Joined
·
8,168 Posts
freeriderB said:
I think I read it weighs ~7.3 pounds....which isn't very light, but I have been reading reviews how everyone loves this thing.

I'm more concerned how the 68.5* HA will feel vs my 67.5* Prophet
I think the only way to be sure is to ride it. I own Scalpel, rush and prophet I can tell you the Scalpel doesn't ride like 69* HA, and at 67.5* Prophet does not ride like one either it feels quicker, I was hoping for really relax geo my impression did not confirm that. My 68* Ibis Mojo feel slacker. Hope this help.

If it not slack enough for you you can get the 7mm Ventana race to replace your crown race it would help relax HA a bit, and provide more fork clearance to the frame as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slack

mimi1885 said:
I think the only way to be sure is to ride it. I own Scalpel, rush and prophet I can tell you the Scalpel doesn't ride like 69* HA, and at 67.5* Prophet does not ride like one either it feels quicker, I was hoping for really relax geo my impression did not confirm that. My 68* Ibis Mojo feel slacker. Hope this help.

If it not slack enough for you you can get the 7mm Ventana race to replace your crown race it would help relax HA a bit, and provide more fork clearance to the frame as well.
i was thinking of maybe running the cane creek angle set to slacken another degree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Hi

Meta 5 is a great bike!
Anyway take care with 09 models especially with L size frames because 2009 was very bad for Commencal since a lot of metas L size frames broken either ner down shock mount point
either where top tube meets the seat tube!

To be on the safe side take pre 09 or 2010 onwards model.

Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
09

dbd said:
Hi

Meta 5 is a great bike!
Anyway take care with 09 models especially with L size frames because 2009 was very bad for Commencal since a lot of metas L size frames broken either ner down shock mount point
either where top tube meets the seat tube!

To be on the safe side take pre 09 or 2010 onwards model.

Have fun!
wow...had no idea.
this frame would be brand new, so it would still have a full warranty.
I'm thinking new replacement if this ever happened (or course within their disclosed guidlines).

no idea how their customer service is...but if it's a known issue I'm sure they would take care of me...right?
Any horror stories with the company?

thanks.
 

·
Old & Slow
Joined
·
30 Posts
freeriderB said:
wow...had no idea.
this frame would be brand new, so it would still have a full warranty.
I'm thinking new replacement if this ever happened (or course within their disclosed guidlines).

no idea how their customer service is...but if it's a known issue I'm sure they would take care of me...right?
Any horror stories with the company?

thanks.
I was looking for a 5" frame to do a build/parts swap on and seriously considered the 2009 model because of the price (at speedgoat). When I asked about the warranty I was directed here:

[email protected]

It's the USA distributor. If you purchased the frame on-line apparently this is where any warranty claims will be handled. Might want to contact him if you have concerns. Not saying it's true for all the frames, but after doing some researching, that model year does appear to have some issues with cracking. Hope it works out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
No experience with that frame, but there are many more things to consider about handling/steering than just the head tube angle. While that does make a difference, so does the trail of the fork you are using, as well as the front and rear ride heights after sag.

If you start at a given height and the rear sags an extra inch, you are lessening the effective angle of the head tube. Conversely, f you jack the rear up an inch, you are steepening it. Just something to think about if you aren't happy with the way a particular bike handles.
 

·
meow meow
Joined
·
10,622 Posts
my xam has a 9 pound frame. with solid but light parts (turbine stem and v1 711 bar ect) it is about 32.5 pounds. with a new set of light wheels i should be looking at about 31-31.5 pounds. just saying if you are smart you can do a tough but light build. looks like a 44mm id headtube. c is going to release an angleset for the it sounds like or if you want it now a guy on here will make you one. check out the dh forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5.5 Vip?

dbd said:
Hi

Meta 5 is a great bike!
Anyway take care with 09 models especially with L size frames because 2009 was very bad for Commencal since a lot of metas L size frames broken either ner down shock mount point
either where top tube meets the seat tube!

To be on the safe side take pre 09 or 2010 onwards model.

Have fun!
****************************************
does the cracking problem include the "VIP" model? What's the diff anyway?
I'm looking at a Meta 5.5 VIP. I researched the frame issues and read some threads where it seems that most stated 5.5.1....2...or .3. Didn't see any VIP breaks

also...here is a partial quote for the frame description...
"2009 improvements: stronger, deeper sloping top tube, gusseted headtube, stiffer swingarm and redesigned linkage."

Do the gussetts and the redesigned linkage statements imply that the 09's should have had the issues resolved?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
hi,

VIP is the same as 5.5.1 and 5.5.3.
The only difference are the stickers on it and that it was sold as frame set with fork, seat post, etc.
Don't look what is written about 09 model from the producer.
For more info about everything about commencal including a lot of 09 crack reports go to this forum:
http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=k9ktuprketkpl003bcb4rjf344&action=forum

If you are not sure about the warranty don't buy it.
Buy pre 09 or 2010 onwards model

I had meta 09 and it cracked but was replaced under warranty for 2010. No problems till now.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crack

dbd said:
hi,

VIP is the same as 5.5.1 and 5.5.3.
The only difference are the stickers on it and that it was sold as frame set with fork, seat post, etc.
Don't look what is written about 09 model from the producer.
For more info about everything about commencal including a lot of 09 crack reports go to this forum:
http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=k9ktuprketkpl003bcb4rjf344&action=forum

If you are not sure about the warranty don't buy it.
Buy pre 09 or 2010 onwards model

I had meta 09 and it cracked but was replaced under warranty for 2010. No problems till now.

Cheers!
************************************************************

what about the model with less travel....the 4.4(?)
Is this notorious for cracking as well?
I was thinking of this as an alternative to the 5.5.
 

·
EvilRider
Joined
·
76 Posts
Yes on the less than 30 lb build. I have an 07' 666 size L which is considerably heavier. 1X9, carbon bars, and tubless ..... 29.8 w/pedals :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's what I'm thinking...
If I buy the 5.5 and it cracks, I get a new replacement...right? (assuming it's defective and I did not misuse it).

I verified with the retailer, I would have to send the frame back and they would work with Commencal directly.

I have another frame that I can use IF I'm waiting for months....

Would anyone else take this chance?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top