Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for a new bike to replace my old one (Giant NRS 100mm rear with RS Reba 100mm, El Camino 160mm brakes, 2.1 tires).
I am very glad with this bike for already 4 years, made a lot of upgrades and improvments but want to taste something new Smiley

During this time my ride style has change a bit (or maybe a lot) .. Still performing a lot of uphill and long distance tracks sometimes (50-80-100km) in the weekends, but my ride became more aggressive, with more fast downhill sections, more technical trails.

So I started to think about all mountain/enduro bike which still will be good and light enough for climbing and long distances, but will be more strong and fun in downhill sections.

My question to you guys here is whether Commencal Meta 5.1 will be good for my purposes?
Is it more DH oriented or it is also good for climbing and XC riding?

I am tall 182cm and my weight is 69kg ..Do you thing if META 5.1 size L will be OK for me?

I have checked and compared its top tube length (which is 594mm for L size) to other all mountain bikes and
it seems that Meta's top tube is about 1 to 1,5cm shorter then other's bikes. Do you thing Meta still will be good for
XC ridinig?

I am not a racer or XC maniac ...but like to ride long trails, hard uphills and already hard downhills, more stones and technical sections Wink

Thank you very much Smiley

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi mate,
I'm new on here and I ride a Meta 5 VIP (2008).

The Meta 5 is a good all round trail bike and is both good at uphill and downhill. It is aimed at tech XC and allround trail riding.

It is not a specific downhill bike but will cope.

I am from the UK and it copes with everything I chuck at it.

140mm forks and a very efficient rear suspension platform, I can't fault it.

If you want more downhill look at the Meta 6 which has also been complemented on it's climbing abilities..!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Meta 5 my daughter has one that I've borrowed :eek: and they are fantastic I really enjoy riding it, climbs and goes really well downhill, a really good alrounder, she has the 5.5.3 but I've upgraded a couple of bits for her :D and it goes well, binned the original tyres 2.1's now has 2.35 Nevegals lighter bar and stem, seat post and an xt cassette 34-11 the original 32-11 was so heavy I think it was a basic SRAM must of weighed double the XT. I think the 5.5.1 is a real goer, also if it was my bike the new Revelation with a 20mm Maxle would be my first choice or maybe a Fox with 15mm, with Hope ProII's and some Mavic XM819 rims.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've got one, and I love it. The geometry is great, the only thing I don't like is that the paint chips very easily.
I'm about the same height as you (and a bit fatter) and I prefer the ride of the medium to that of the large.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys !!

Sounds like Meta 5 is my choice :)

What do you think about long distances with Meta 5? Is it comfortable enough?
And what about the uphill performance of Meta 5? Isn't it a little bit short (top tube length)?
What is your experience climbing with Meta 5 ...

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine has become quite a bit heaver than the original spec as I fitted burlier tyres, RockShox Pikes etc. I would still say it climbs better than my (reasonably light) hardtail, because the traction on the back wheel is so much better.
I would advise that you try and get a ride on a M and a L before you decide which to go for, I think the L might climb a little better, but the M would probably be more manoeuvrable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.