Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as we waited for our class starts. Thats it. Just thought I'd mention that. I know hes not been around lately. He looked good and fit. He said he's still abit leary on fast descents, but thats to be expected. Was a pleasure to shake his hand.

Duckout
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
cool to know that he still around

Duckman said:
...as we waited for our class starts. Thats it. Just thought I'd mention that. I know hes not been around lately. He looked good and fit. He said he's still abit leary on fast descents, but thats to be expected. Was a pleasure to shake his hand.

Duckout
and riding (racing).
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
hey Duck!

Duckman said:
...as we waited for our class starts. Thats it. Just thought I'd mention that. I know hes not been around lately. He looked good and fit. He said he's still abit leary on fast descents, but thats to be expected. Was a pleasure to shake his hand.

Duckout
nice meeting you on sunday. hope your race went well. :)

rt
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey rt. Same here. Congrats on the good finish and no mech gremlins this race. Tough course for sure. My seatpost slipped down 2.5" during my first lap, and for the next 15 miles I was BMXing it. Sucked bigtime, as I had to stand alot on the climbs. Had a multi tool in my pocket, but didn't wanna lose the time. I dunno where I finished(around 12/30 me things. but who knows), but I DID finish. I left soon afterwards. Oh well, thats racing, eh?
Also, I hope you understand I didn't mean anything by taking that pic while you guys were stretching. I was in a hurry to go and warmup, and couldn't wait for you to get done LOL! Sorry about that.

The post after the race and sliding it back up. DAMN!



You and your friend in said pic. Makes my knees hurt just looking at this pic. But of course I've got bad knees, sooo....

Duck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Hey Duckman and RT

Hey Duckman, CONGRATS on your finish, that had to been tough riding 2/3 of the course standing!!! At least you did not bust your ass in the last 1.5 miles like I did, very stupid on my part!!! What class do your race? And besides your seatpost slipping Sun, how do you like it? Is it easy adj? And how much does it weigh?

RT , sorry for not speaking after the race, every time I looked your way you were talking to someone, then when the awards were over we ran, long drive home tried and sore.
CONGRATS on your finish, hopefully with no problems, unlike Duckman and myself.
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Race Sport Master 40-49..the old guys. Yup..sucked standing alot. I mean its tough enough already out there, eh? Course was fun and challenging. HnP was abit non-flowing, but what the heck. Got stung in the forehead once too, just after starting my 2nd lap. That kinda hurt abit.
The post is in its 2nd season with not a prob until this race. My fault tho, as I had just stuck a new ti bolt in the clamp, and it was a touch too long and bottomed out just as the it was tightening. "Thought" it was tight enough. Obviously I was wrong. hehehe

Weights 175gms, but you gotta remember its got that heavyass oem shim in there. Add 40 more grams. The bikes still a FS thats under 22lbs with disc brakes tho. So no biggie. Oh yeah, the seat rail clamp on any USE post is a pain in the arse to adjust. To move the saddle a tiny bit, ya gotta break everything loose again. Once you finish tho, it never comes loose. Thank god. ;)
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Small world indeed. No, that was my first SERC race. Been racing the GAP series all year tho. Figured I'd like to race Dauset with Huff n Puff, plus is sorta slow right now since they canceled Newnan last week. Was on a blue NRS. JUST missed that brutal crash at our start on the pavement. Ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Duckman said:
...as we waited for our class starts. Thats it. Just thought I'd mention that. I know hes not been around lately. He looked good and fit. He said he's still abit leary on fast descents, but thats to be expected. Was a pleasure to shake his hand.

Duckout
Riding and training forum now is a pale, weak ghost of what this forum used to be before MTBDOC had his accident.

Back in those days this was my resident forum. Bouncing around ideas on training everyday with a bunch of other resident masochistic racers/posters under the guidance of our resident expert/father figure, MTBDOC. It was a great small community of posters where we shared training ideas, problems, results and racing experiences...anything.

Ever since MTBDOC had his accident back in early 2003 though things went downhill from there. Moab 63 is the only person I remember that still posts here, MTBDOC has posted only handful of times in year and a half and god knows what happened to Radar MCM and others I don't remember? It used to be the place to be, now its just where strangers stumble upon to talk training.

I am very fortunate that in the time this little community existed I have learned the MTBDOC training principles and developed a good sense for training, all thanks to this forum and DOC - but I still miss being able to talk training like I talk weight weenism nowdays. I also realised, when it was gone, that this former community was also an invaluable motivational tool and, sadly, this has reflected in my traning and racing, neither of which are anywhere near as consistent as they were back then. :(

Just some random thoughts.
 

·
robust, yet smooth
Joined
·
473 Posts
the second worst thing about that

Boj said:
Riding and training forum now is a pale, weak ghost of what this forum used to be before MTBDOC had his accident.

Back in those days this was my resident forum. Bouncing around ideas on training everyday with a bunch of other resident masochistic racers/posters under the guidance of our resident expert/father figure, MTBDOC. It was a great small community of posters where we shared training ideas, problems, results and racing experiences...anything..
... is that you can't get into the archives for the old posts anymore. [email protected] "new and improved" format.

The worst thing is that MTBDOC doesn't post anymore.

-capt p, fmr lurker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Alright, alright! I guess I'm going to have to retain the PR firm that's been working for me on a trial basis the last few weeks! Seriously guys, I appreciate the kind words...and I DO miss "the old days"...although I actually got quite active on this board in the late 90's, had a quiet period, and then got back at it more seriously. Part of it is that I get SO TIRED of the same old crap being pushed from some article someone read in "Bicycling" or something...or, God forbid, Chris Carmichael, the King of Carbs (actually I would have LOVED to have been there when they were photographing him in the pot of pasta...and brought a few gallons of my homemade pasta sauce and dumped it on his head!)...

...as an example, in the latest issue of Velo News, there is an article talking about the altitude tents, and some data based on ONE rider...showing gains in power...well, I'm impressed! That's what training does!!! And then the summary statement to the effect [IIRC] that half of his gain was from training, and half from the altitude tent! Now, don't get me wrong, I DO BELIEVE that the altitude tents will improve performance for many cyclists...but DON'T consider an article like that as SCIENCE!

Okay...back to Dausett:

Duckie, when I saw your name in the pre-registered list, I figured I'd try to find you, as y'all were just a few minutes behind us...and I remembered a bit of what you looked like from a picture, and there aren't THAT MANY $4000 Giant's running around! Sounds like you and I had similar dumb stuff happen. I had my rear wheel slip in the dropout slightly...but let me back up.

Our race started WAY TOO HARD considering we had roughly 30 miles to race, but that's how it went...and each time we hit the open sections, I was able to jump a rider or two and move up. I KNEW my steady-state power was there after climbing well at Sugar Mtn. the week before, and that I wouldn't wear down much (as I'm doing a LOT more volume in prep for the Shenandoah Mtn 100 in 3 weeks)...by the end of the 1st lap, I was in the top 3rd, figured on contending for perhaps 4th or 5th, but was struggling up the little singletrack at the start of the 2nd lap...halfway through the 2nd lap, I was riding with the guy that finished 5th...and I just DIED! Couldn't make any sense of it...was it all the short bursts...too much volume lately...evil space aliens shooting me with a gravity ray...WHAT??? So I lost ground...and lost ground...and lost ground...

....and, after the race, saw *rt* and went over to say "hi" and introduce myself...started talking with a friend of hers about the advantages of the 29" wheeled bikes...and noticed a funny noise coming from my bike...OH [doo-doo]...the right brake was dragging on the rim hard enough that it was literally HARD to rotate the wheel by hand!!! Noticed the tire was slightly off-center...CRAP! Funny, last week at Sugar I used an old Ti bolt-on skewer to save a few grams, but switched back to a quick release this week. Just didn't have it tight enough, and in the first lap, the wheel shifted...ARGGHHH! Five seconds to readjust and tighten the skewer, and I'd have been fine...probably took 20-30W to overcome the brake pad...would be easy to test: put on the powertap wheel (and wiring harness; that's what would take time), have a similar amount of brake drag, get on the computrainer, and look at the difference in power at the hub vs. the rear tire.

ANYWAY...glad everyone survived, and RT FINISHED A RACE!

Oh, my wife and I did a 4 hr ride yesterday afternoon on the tandem, and she did 2 laps on Sunday! Nothing like doing those volume workouts the day after a race! Felt good for the 1st 2 hrs, then tired, and we just rode on fumes for the last hour!

And if anyone is going to Columbia, TN for the century this Saturday, say hi! We'll be on the red KHS tandem (may have to upgrade to a performance beast next year!).
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah man. Turned out that we got zero rain from Charley, the storm that bashed Fl so bad. Hell, it was dusty no less. Fast tire, and hooked up everywhere. LOTS of tech rocks roots and more rocks. Raced it once before this summer. Figured it'd be "ok" in the mud, but alas...

The rides a little harsh, but it "is" a race tire, eh?
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DOC!! Great to see your still lurking at least. Don't be a stranger. Damn!..on the brake drag'n action. That would indeed suck. Well heck, misery loves company, sooo....hehehe.

Really good to see you posting. I figure a bigass group hug may be in order now.

$4000 eh? Actually I stopped counting at that number about a yr ago. LOL!

Duckout
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
I do know what you mean, but the funny thing is that

Boj said:
Riding and training forum now is a pale, weak ghost of what this forum used to be before MTBDOC had his accident.

Back in those days this was my resident forum. Bouncing around ideas on training everyday with a bunch of other resident masochistic racers/posters under the guidance of our resident expert/father figure, MTBDOC. It was a great small community of posters where we shared training ideas, problems, results and racing experiences...anything.

Ever since MTBDOC had his accident back in early 2003 though things went downhill from there. Moab 63 is the only person I remember that still posts here, MTBDOC has posted only handful of times in year and a half and god knows what happened to Radar MCM and others I don't remember? It used to be the place to be, now its just where strangers stumble upon to talk training.

I am very fortunate that in the time this little community existed I have learned the MTBDOC training principles and developed a good sense for training, all thanks to this forum and DOC - but I still miss being able to talk training like I talk weight weenism nowdays. I also realised, when it was gone, that this former community was also an invaluable motivational tool and, sadly, this has reflected in my traning and racing, neither of which are anywhere near as consistent as they were back then. :(

Just some random thoughts.
the questions are a little iffy. I do miss the DOC because he is a very knowledgeable person also has been trained by Morris also an MD. So his insight is great in a sport like this. He is a racer/coach, I read lots of books about cycling but the first had experience is so much better in my humble opinion. I guess people do get tire of explaning why somehting is wrong, after it has been proven that is wrong and people still preach it as gospel.

I been doing some good DOC/Morris type training for my son and I. Havent been able to race do to work but my son is doing really good all this after about a total of 16 months of actual riding. So we are already planning on a FULL Morris implementation for next year, going to do at least two national events on Naional mexico cup and maybe sea otter :)

So keep training and keep posting this is the coolest mtb place on the net. Ok enough rambling.
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
So you do love us, hey a few of us believe in moving

MTBDOC said:
Alright, alright! I guess I'm going to have to retain the PR firm that's been working for me on a trial basis the last few weeks! Seriously guys, I appreciate the kind words...and I DO miss "the old days"...although I actually got quite active on this board in the late 90's, had a quiet period, and then got back at it more seriously. Part of it is that I get SO TIRED of the same old crap being pushed from some article someone read in "Bicycling" or something...or, God forbid, Chris Carmichael, the King of Carbs (actually I would have LOVED to have been there when they were photographing him in the pot of pasta...and brought a few gallons of my homemade pasta sauce and dumped it on his head!)...

...as an example, in the latest issue of Velo News, there is an article talking about the altitude tents, and some data based on ONE rider...showing gains in power...well, I'm impressed! That's what training does!!! And then the summary statement to the effect [IIRC] that half of his gain was from training, and half from the altitude tent! Now, don't get me wrong, I DO BELIEVE that the altitude tents will improve performance for many cyclists...but DON'T consider an article like that as SCIENCE!

Okay...back to Dausett:

Duckie, when I saw your name in the pre-registered list, I figured I'd try to find you, as y'all were just a few minutes behind us...and I remembered a bit of what you looked like from a picture, and there aren't THAT MANY $4000 Giant's running around! Sounds like you and I had similar dumb stuff happen. I had my rear wheel slip in the dropout slightly...but let me back up.

Our race started WAY TOO HARD considering we had roughly 30 miles to race, but that's how it went...and each time we hit the open sections, I was able to jump a rider or two and move up. I KNEW my steady-state power was there after climbing well at Sugar Mtn. the week before, and that I wouldn't wear down much (as I'm doing a LOT more volume in prep for the Shenandoah Mtn 100 in 3 weeks)...by the end of the 1st lap, I was in the top 3rd, figured on contending for perhaps 4th or 5th, but was struggling up the little singletrack at the start of the 2nd lap...halfway through the 2nd lap, I was riding with the guy that finished 5th...and I just DIED! Couldn't make any sense of it...was it all the short bursts...too much volume lately...evil space aliens shooting me with a gravity ray...WHAT??? So I lost ground...and lost ground...and lost ground...

....and, after the race, saw *rt* and went over to say "hi" and introduce myself...started talking with a friend of hers about the advantages of the 29" wheeled bikes...and noticed a funny noise coming from my bike...OH [doo-doo]...the right brake was dragging on the rim hard enough that it was literally HARD to rotate the wheel by hand!!! Noticed the tire was slightly off-center...CRAP! Funny, last week at Sugar I used an old Ti bolt-on skewer to save a few grams, but switched back to a quick release this week. Just didn't have it tight enough, and in the first lap, the wheel shifted...ARGGHHH! Five seconds to readjust and tighten the skewer, and I'd have been fine...probably took 20-30W to overcome the brake pad...would be easy to test: put on the powertap wheel (and wiring harness; that's what would take time), have a similar amount of brake drag, get on the computrainer, and look at the difference in power at the hub vs. the rear tire.

ANYWAY...glad everyone survived, and RT FINISHED A RACE!

Oh, my wife and I did a 4 hr ride yesterday afternoon on the tandem, and she did 2 laps on Sunday! Nothing like doing those volume workouts the day after a race! Felt good for the 1st 2 hrs, then tired, and we just rode on fumes for the last hour!

And if anyone is going to Columbia, TN for the century this Saturday, say hi! We'll be on the red KHS tandem (may have to upgrade to a performance beast next year!).
foward, using the new stuff. Speaking of old crap, we were prerunning the course for this coming race (sunday). So we were talking, some very experienced racers were there, I'm the new guy, the conversation went to the TOUR. Anyway this guy who is an expert is mentioning that he is not placing as well as he should. So the pseudo coach there asked him what is he doing. Basically just riding no real training.

Now the guy tells him that the way to win in mountain bike races is to do a lot of miles, so the legs get strong(the racer) is already doing more than 125 miles per week. I told him that he needed interval work because thats whats he is lacking. So it got a little ugly, so I finally said listen I have beaten both of you(the hight milage proponents) by about 15 minutes each time we haved raced. I been training for about a year and both of you have been training for years. Who is training is getting better results yours or mine :rolleyes:

I also have my son who just turned 15, and only three very well trained and experinced kids can keep up with him. For next year is full Morris and trainers the whole enchilada :D

So I do know what you mean DOC, but I do try to help the ones that listen.
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
hey Duck...

Duckman said:
Hey rt. Same here. Congrats on the good finish and no mech gremlins this race. Tough course for sure. My seatpost slipped down 2.5" during my first lap, and for the next 15 miles I was BMXing it. Sucked bigtime, as I had to stand alot on the climbs. Had a multi tool in my pocket, but didn't wanna lose the time. I dunno where I finished(around 12/30 me things. but who knows), but I DID finish. I left soon afterwards. Oh well, thats racing, eh?
Also, I hope you understand I didn't mean anything by taking that pic while you guys were stretching. I was in a hurry to go and warmup, and couldn't wait for you to get done LOL! Sorry about that.

The post after the race and sliding it back up. DAMN!



You and your friend in said pic. Makes my knees hurt just looking at this pic. But of course I've got bad knees, sooo....

Duck
thanks for the pic! i never checked back to this post after my initial response so i'm just seeing it now. i'd much rather see pics of myself looking like i'm doing something rather than just standing around!

major bummer about the seatpost.

rt
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
robbieb said:
Hey Duckman, CONGRATS on your finish, that had to been tough riding 2/3 of the course standing!!! At least you did not bust your ass in the last 1.5 miles like I did, very stupid on my part!!! What class do your race? And besides your seatpost slipping Sun, how do you like it? Is it easy adj? And how much does it weigh?

RT , sorry for not speaking after the race, every time I looked your way you were talking to someone, then when the awards were over we ran, long drive home tried and sore.
CONGRATS on your finish, hopefully with no problems, unlike Duckman and myself.
no worries!

thanks for the congrats on the finish. it was a tough race for me but i'm glad i manged to finish.

hope you guys had a safe & uneventful drive home.

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
trip down memory lane has me fired up too

Hey,

I havent posted on the training board since the new forum came on line. Used to love reading MTBdocs stuff and although I havent followed any regimented plan I've definately focused on the HARD training side of things as a consequence. This board reinforced in me that PAIN in training is GOOD. I'm a little depressed now as my training for a 24 hour race (solo-the main race of the year for me) has been dearailed by sickness for the past two weeks- its like my immune system has packed it in. Anyway I'm going to rest up for another week, hopefully get out next weekend, have a race the following and then interval like crazy for the next three, take it easy in the last and do the 24.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top