Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag(large) to replace my backpack. It feels a little akward and I wonder if it is because it is a large?? I carry a laptop, chain/lock, and some books. Does anyone use a medium? Is there another style that fits more snug?

(I may take it back and use my backpack)

over-n-out

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Have you cinched the shoulder strap?

Alot of newbies working around here will wear their bags low on their backs. It moves alot less when you have it cinched so it rides higher up. If you can swing it around and dig into the bag easily w/o loosening the strap it is probably too loose.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Jandd Gabriel bag

I've been using a Jandd Gabriel messenger bag for about 14 years. It holds a lap top perfectly. It has an awesome waist strap to keep the load secured. It has all the right compartments and is expandable to immense proportions. I highly recommend it. I've tried Timbuk 2 and while they look cool and stylish, they just don't fit me all that well on the bike.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use a chrome bag. The old kozmo edition. It is a large bag, and I can carry plenty in it (laptop, books, clothes, lunch, shoes). When I was looking to purchase a messenger style bag, one of the manufacturers suggested that messenger bags work better when they are not packed full, so I am not sure that a smaller bag will maksolve your fit problem.

When My bag is packed light it is hardly noticeable on my back. Like Teamdicky said, wear it high. Cinch the strap as much as you can and still feel comfortable. The chrome bag has a stabilizer strap that also helps secure the bag.

I have found my bag very comfortable and stable for a 7 mile commute. I have ridden with it off road before (my alternate commute), and it worked well on the trails too.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Messenger bags

I like my Timbuk2 more than my backpack. I am so used to, and when I look behind me, the backpack is not in the way.

I mostly carry clothes and my laptop, and I make sure the clothes are against my back, and the laptop on the outside...why? so it won't hurt afterwards. A Messenger Bag is more practical for me when I have to go to the bank. I just swing it around without having to take it off when I reach for my wallet/lock/etc.

You have to get used to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using a Chrome bag as well, and it's terrific. Maybe I was just missing something, but I couldn't find a Timbuk2 bag that had the sling design I was looking for. The Chrome has a massive amount of room and has the snug shoulder strap that manages to somehow leave a dress shirt in good shape after a five mile ride. (That last sentence makes me feel like such a geezer.)

Their Kremlin is MASSIVE. The Citizen is plenty big for me:

http://www.chromebags.com/citizen.php

Greenfix said:
I use a chrome bag. The old kozmo edition. It is a large bag, and I can carry plenty in it (laptop, books, clothes, lunch, shoes). When I was looking to purchase a messenger style bag, one of the manufacturers suggested that messenger bags work better when they are not packed full, so I am not sure that a smaller bag will maksolve your fit problem.

When My bag is packed light it is hardly noticeable on my back. Like Teamdicky said, wear it high. Cinch the strap as much as you can and still feel comfortable. The chrome bag has a stabilizer strap that also helps secure the bag.

I have found my bag very comfortable and stable for a 7 mile commute. I have ridden with it off road before (my alternate commute), and it worked well on the trails too.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Go Chrome.

I have both a Timbuk2 and a Chrome. The T2 has been in my possesion about 10 yrs already, and though the Chrome is a bigger bag, it fits much better. More comfy, snug and stable. Definitely cinch it up high and use that stabilizer strap. If you can return the T2 bag, do it and grab a Chrome. The quick release seatbelt is really nice when I come home from the market with a bunch of fruit/veggies and groceries and the bag is heavy and full. ;)

OGG

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
We've got 3 TimBuk 2 bags in the house. A small (the wife's), my large and my enourmous. I use the enourmous bag daily. It works well if you do a few things...distribute the load properly/evenly... carry it high but not above the shoulder blades... and cinch the tension strap. Also, the tesion strap can be place on either side so try it both ways. One may feel better than the other.

I've had my large bag since 1995 and the enourmous since 2000. I like them better than any day packs.

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
Return it...

if you can and get a Chrome bag.

They are made local to me (SF,CA) and are the best darn mess bags i have found. the Timbuk2 bags, in my opinion are for people who dont ride bikes much or just want to look stylish and extreme. some of my friends have those, and they ride em low too, and they slip on them all the time. the padding is minimal and can slide up and down the strap.

the Chrome bag has a large shoulder strap, contoured and well padded to fit your back and chest really well. they even make right and left hand models. the cinching mech is fast and easy to release with the large "d" ring. the flap folding system turns the bag into a nearly waterproof bag. plus its made with "dry bag" material. Aaaaand, its made in the good old USA.

just my opinion,

geoffss

·
Registered
13 Posts
geoffss said:
if you can and get a Chrome bag.

They are made local to me (SF,CA) and are the best darn mess bags i have found. the Timbuk2 bags, in my opinion are for people who dont ride bikes much or just want to look stylish and extreme. some of my friends have those, and they ride em low too, and they slip on them all the time. the padding is minimal and can slide up and down the strap.

the Chrome bag has a large shoulder strap, contoured and well padded to fit your back and chest really well. they even make right and left hand models. the cinching mech is fast and easy to release with the large "d" ring. the flap folding system turns the bag into a nearly waterproof bag. plus its made with "dry bag" material. Aaaaand, its made in the good old USA.

just my opinion,

geoffss
No one knows where Chrome bags are made anymore. They will only say "USA" if you ask them, the location in SF has no production facility, bags are trucked in and they stopped making them in Denver long ago. This mystery is turning Chrome off to the messenger community in SF and elsewhere. It's no big deal if it's Mexico or off-shore like all the Chrome label clothing, but they still claim they are made in the USA but are ashamed? of the how and where of it. The how question is How can Chrome sell at that price when BIG companies like Timbuk2 admit they are tempted to go off-shore and are off-shore for everything but the messenger bags (some assembly may be offshore) The Where question is clear, but Chrome isnt'.

Timbuks are smaller and nowhere near as complex as Chromes but the Chromes are only a touch more in cost. Messenger bag companies like Reload and others sell bags that are cooler to look at and made of nicer materials than Chrome and customized too but the basic design is simpler, yet because they are made in the USA by craftspersons at the same location as the store they are more expensive(if you get it custom, a bare bones REload is about the same as a Chrome). The (REload) big ones hold more than a Kremlin, Kremlin has more measurable volume but the tear drop shape means less fits together in the bag. Except for Timbuk2, all the USA made by hand Messenger bags (and there are many, most of which are much cooler than Chrome, and run by ex-messengers) All these bags cost more than Chrome...yet they'll all tell you where and how they produce their bags, not Chrome. Does it matter if the sweatshop is overseas or in SFs chinatown? Does it matter that several people have seen the bags being off-loaded trucks at the same time as the made in China clothing?

It wouldn't matter if Crome came clean, but even many messengers are suspicious of them now, and won't have anything to do with them. Even ones that like the bag get pissed about being lied too, or shunned right after the sale. Or sold a "seconds" bag at a messenger event and being told the event was why they were getting a good deal.
Hell, The North American Courier Championships this year refused Chrome as a sponsor because of the underhandedness Chrome dealt out at the World Champions last year.

If all you want is a cheap bag, get a chrome, if business ethics, and "made in the USA labels matter, keep hunting.

I bought a chrome bag at a messenger race in 2002...it was a "factory second"...I tried to get a new buckle or get the one I had sewn back up, and they wouldnt, no warranty on "factory seconds"....dude lied to my face (chrome rep) which is why I've asked enough people to think that where there is smoke, there is fire. they're chumps. From now on if a messenger didnt make it, I aint wearing it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
scanjok said:
I just bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag(large) to replace my backpack. It feels a little akward and I wonder if it is because it is a large?? I carry a laptop, chain/lock, and some books. Does anyone use a medium? Is there another style that fits more snug?

(I may take it back and use my backpack)

over-n-out
I've had a medium Timbuk2 since I was a student, and I've never really been happy with it. I could barely put a few spiral notebooks, a lock, and regular shoes in it. Also, I've found that when I'm carrying a lighter load it was better to wear the bag high, but if I'm carrying more stuff wearing it low and tightening the cross strap was more comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.