Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my Threadless 1and1/8th fork was cut too short is there anything I can do about it:confused: ? It's maybe 1.5 inches too short. The guy used a pipe cutter:madmax: . What can I do? Please help.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Get a new fork. If it was a shop that cut it during an install they should be responsible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
besides buying a new fork is there anything else? it was a friends fault, I know my bad right.

·
bikes are people too
362 Posts
shiggy said:
Get a new fork. If it was a shop that cut it during an install they should be responsible.
Agreed.. had a friend of mine cut too much off of a threaded fork on my Kona Kilauea a few years back, cost me a lot of money. If it was a shop, they should definitely be held responsible, if it was a friend, well, get a new friend :D

All jokes aside it is a very unfortunate accident, hopefully somebody more helpful than me will come along and offer a legitimate suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
One other thing to check. It may be possible to put a new steerer tube on the fork.

I know Marz can do it for some forks. Other companys?

I don't know how much it would cost, with some closeouts, heck it might cost more to fix than the fork cost.

Good luck,

JmZ

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
robs65 said:
besides buying a new fork is there anything else? it was a friends fault, I know my bad right.
Depends on the fork. These days most would require replacing at least the steerer/crown/stantions are they are pressed/bonded together. It can be as expensive as a new fork.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it looks like I'm up the creek without a paddle. To replace the fork what would be a good economical choice for a gary fisher suger 3 fs frame. I'll do mostly xc but it will be some downhill but nothing too serious.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Tell your friend he owes you a new fork?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
robs65 said:
If my Threadless 1and1/8th fork was cut too short is there anything I can do about it:confused: ? It's maybe 1.5 inches too short. The guy used a pipe cutter:madmax: . What can I do? Please help.
How far does the fork's steerer tube extend through the head tube? If it extends far enough, you might be able to make this gadget work...

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=SM2787

Edit: Here's another one:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=SM1977

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
robs65 said:
I will but what fork? I need a decent fork but he dosent have a lot of money.
What kind of fork is it and how long is the steerer? Try to sell it... some people may have smaller frames that it would work with. I've been through that as well (my own fault) and ended up still selling the fork for what I paid for it.

BTW: Try to find a deal on one of the older RS Pike's...it's a great fork.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
If its a steel stearer have the local machine shop turn down some pipe drill then spot weld it on and turn it with the lathe, like a 50$ job at most if its AL then its even easier job but have them go oversized on the tubeing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is a Roxx shock judy worth the trouble? And if not is a Manitou Axel Elite 80mm Suspension Fork for $109 a good deal?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Are you serious :eek: No a RS Judy is not worth this effort :confused: Try to afford a bit more cash and get something better than an Axel, AND next time cut your own fork steerer - it's not your friends fault, it's yours for letting him cut it instead of you.

Seriously it's not rocket science :madman:, you stick the fork up through the headtube, stick on some spacers and the stem, get a Sharpie marker, mark it with some room to spare (10mm or so in case you need more spacers) and then cut. Once you settled on spacer/stem height then trim the remaining bit or not depending on how many spacers/stem height you've setled on.

robs65 said:
Is a Roxx shock judy worth the trouble? And if not is a Manitou Axel Elite 80mm Suspension Fork for $109 a good deal?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
If its a steel stearer have the local machine shop turn down some pipe drill then spot weld it on and turn it with the lathe, like a 50$ job at most if its AL then its even easier job but have them go oversized on the tubeing!
This is the worst idea you have ever posted.

·
bikes are people too
362 Posts
LyNx said:
Are you serious :eek: No a RS Judy is not worth this effort :confused: Try to afford a bit more cash and get something better than an Axel, AND next time cut your own fork steerer - it's not your friends fault, it's yours for letting him cut it instead of you.

Seriously it's not rocket science :madman:, you stick the fork up through the headtube, stick on some spacers and the stem, get a Sharpie marker, mark it with some room to spare (10mm or so in case you need more spacers) and then cut. Once you settled on spacer/stem height then trim the remaining bit or not depending on how many spacers/stem height you've setled on.
Damn.. have a beer and relax bro, I'm sure he wasn't looking to be insulted when he posted a question on this site.

To answer your question about whether or not it's worth it, it depends on your riding style/how long you've been riding/how big you are (in my opinion). You could sit there and get battered and abused by all the guys on this forum that have been riding for 50 years and scoff at the idea of an RS Judy or a Manitou Axel Elite, but to be completely honest, I just recently got back into riding, and I have an Axel Elite on my GF Tass, and being 5'7", 170 lbs., and just having gotten back into riding, it works just fine for me. I don't take any huge drops, but being in the NE US, my terrain is pretty brutal and I think that for a starter fork, it is fine.

Other than that, try goin to your LBS and testin out some forks, couldn't hurt any.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dip. Im about 6 foot 210 pound and I ride in southern Maryland. Some hills alot of rocks and roots. Its been a while since my riding days but I want to get back into it hard.Just looking for help is all. And yes I know it's my fault and not my friends but I did not post for help to get lectured I just need advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
good inexpensive fork

Check out some of the close-outs on 05 Marz MX Comps/Pros w/ETA. Excellent fork for around $200 online. In my opinion works as well as the higherend forks, just a little heavier, fewer adjustments to ruin your ride, and about 1/3 of the price. A good shop will then charge $10-20 to install it for you in about 10 minutes. Check out Blueskycycling.com and Pricepoint.com, I've had nothing but good experiences with both of them.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm sorry I over reacted and gave an opinion contrary to what the poster wanted, next time he should state what opinions he wants given - NOT :smallviolin: He posted on a public forum and asked for opinions from people on this forum, I gave my opinion sorry he didn't like it.

dip n ride said:
Damn.. have a beer and relax bro, I'm sure he wasn't looking to be insulted when he posted a question on this site.
Hope this helps.
He says he knows it was his fault, yet I quote
Eric Hoefer said:
Tell your friend he owes you a new fork?
and he replies
robs65 said:
I will but what fork? I need a decent fork but he dosent have a lot of money.
and yet again I reiterate " It ain't rocket science" if you can't do it yourself and ask someone for help, take whatever you get in the form of help unless it's a proffesional bike shop who is supposed to know about such things and charges you for doing them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts