Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Based on what I saw last night - trails need to have been packed down prior to the ice we got a few days ago. I would suspect light usage in those two areas (though I may be wrong there). Areas which were not packed down were breakable crust which would be insanely difficult to ride. Studs would be a requirement. I am contemplating riding Case tomorrow morning at 8:30 if you're interested.

John

(PS - if Middlesex is rideable, I wouldn't mind doing that ride!)

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Great ride this morning. Conditions were similar to Thursday night. Saw a huge group out there off in the distance. It ended up being just me and Salem. Salem did it without studs (though that doesn't mean that a "normal" rider should be out there without studs).

Looks like the incoming snow will put a damper on biking for a bit, hello skiing!

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
I rode at Mesh this morning. One of the trails heading off of the Mansions parking area that had been ridden in was excellent riding. Eventually made it to Reeves Rd, which was also rideable, and started the climb up top to Mesh Mtn.... This is when things started to get interesting. The trail was still rideable, but I had to do a lot more crust breaking which took some of the fun factor away. All in all a good 2+ hr ride. I was riding studless tires, but man those Nevegal Stick-E's seem to get traction on anything! Hopefully backcountry skiing tomorrow night....

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Not sure about that

RedMosquito said:
We only got a couple inches of powder out of the latest storm in Manchester, winter riding at Case may be pretty good for a while.
I just got back from skiing at Case, while you're right that there is only 2-3" of snow, its not the light fluffy or the hard packing kind. It's just heavish snow. I don't think you could ride right now, _maybe_ after a few days it will get packed down by the hikers, but it wasn't compressing very much today. A good thaw/freeze would do it, but I don't see that in the forecast...

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Not absolute

roadandtrail said:
sorry i missed your post. we went to case and did not ride. studs required and we had none.
The guy I rode with had 2.3" DH tires on (soft) with no studs, he did fine, other than riding on the ice on the reservoir. Of course he's an animal, but...

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jisch said:
I just got back from skiing at Case, while you're right that there is only 2-3" of snow, its not the light fluffy or the hard packing kind. It's just heavish snow. I don't think you could ride right now, _maybe_ after a few days it will get packed down by the hikers, but it wasn't compressing very much today. A good thaw/freeze would do it, but I don't see that in the forecast...

John
You're definitely right, the snow is heavier than it looked when my neighbor was blowing it around with his leaf blower last night. I guess I shouldn't be such an armchair trail reporter.

How was the skiing? I didn't think there would be enough snow out there.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
from a conditions standpoint it was pretty good. Everything was coated in ice yeaterday, so very few rocks sticking through - I did smack a few! We didn't hit much steep stuff though, my wife isn't that accomplished - though we had a great time.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.