Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I AM PEDALING!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you locals know anything about this place?

http://www.mesainngrandjunction.com/

It looks like they haven't done anything on their website since 2005. In the other post NoahColorado gives reference to "pink starfish":confused: ? Not sure what that's about, but I don't really want to show up and have to share a little "County Jail" love.:eekster: .

I figure for $45 a night it's not gonna be the Marriot, (that's where my buddies and their Ti Sevens are staying) but it's cheap enough to be able to ride and eat for the week.

One more dumb question for ya..........which bike....or both?

My 28 lb Kona Explosive with Rock Shox revelation 5" travel on the front...or my 38.5 lb Kona Stinky 7 inches of travel:thumbsup: , "all-mountain" bike?

Or BOTH?

Answers? Oppinions? Questions?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's a somewhat older property, located near the I-70 freeway and the GJ airport. This area is a pretty decent part of town (compared to some other areas) and there are several restaurants within walking distance. AAA rates it as "two diamond", so I would expect it to be relatively clean and presentable, but definitely not luxurious. As I recall in my drives through this area, these hotels near the freeway are frequently pretty full, if that matters to you. Could be a bit noisy. Free local phone calls for ordering pizza. $45/night is a pretty good deal on a room here.

Downtown GJ is only a couple of miles away, where more restaurants and bars are located. Access to 18 Road and the Kokopelli trailheads is pretty quick on the freeway. You'll have to drive through town to get to the Lunch Loop and Ribbon Trail trailheads, but that's only a few miles.

Pink starfish? No idea.

I would bring the Kona as there's plenty of uphill riding.

When did we get a Marriott?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Stay in Downtown Grand Junction

Come stay downtown in GJ. There are two great hotels, Hawthorne Suites and Hampton Inn, both are within walking distance to good bars, breweries, good sushi(Suhiros), homemade italian(Il Bistro Italiano), THE BEST PIZZA EVER (Pablos), and 4 bike shops. Duh. If you stay in Fruita you are severly limited on all of the before mentioned things. Downtown GJ is 15min from Fruita, and 5 minutes from Lunch Loop trail system, which is better than the 18 road stuff (in my opinion).

·
I AM PEDALING!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm staying in GJ, at The Mesa INN. I was just trying to get a locals point of view of it. I know a guy here, that knows a guy there , and he say's it's in a "funky" part of town by the airport, not to close to any trail heads.:eek:ut:

From where you guys are talking, it seems like it's close enough.:thumbsup:

I don't mind older, or a little noisy, because I'm a little of both myself.:ihih:

The Hawthore shows no rooms available for that week, and the Hampton is a little over $100 a night. So, the Mesa seems to be looking REALLY good.

Within a mile or 2 from good eat's....homemade italian(Il Bistro Italiano), THE BEST PIZZA EVER (Pablos), I'm all over that!

I'm not sure how long ago you got the Marriot, but my buddy's already booked a suite for the week....for only around $1200...:yikes:

As for bringing my Kona, I pretty much ride my Stinky every where. To most it's just a downhill bike, but to me, it's my mountain bike. I even raced XC on it last year a couple of times. My Explosive is fun too, for a little change of pace, so, I think I'm just gonna bring them both.:thumbsup:

·
I AM PEDALING!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPEEDMONKEY said:
as for the pink starfish........I don't know what it has to do with the hotel, but pink IS the more desireable color of starfish, it's the brown variety that you really have to look out for.:thumbsup:
DDOOOHHH!!:ciappa:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep, the Mesa Inn is definitely "close enough" and if you're interested in saving a few bucks, it sure seems cheaper than most of the brand-name hotels.

Oh yeah, there's a Marriott COURTYARD being built just down the road about 1/2 mile from the Mesa Inn. I guess it must be close to being finished (?).

My opinion about some of the local restaurants:
  • Dolce Vita (downtown) has better Italian food than Il Bistro Italiano.
  • Rib City Grill has the best BBQ
  • Fiesta Guadalahara and Tequila's have the best Mexican food (avoid Dos Hombres)
  • Crystal Cafe (downtown) has the best breakfasts
  • Starvin Arvin's (one in Fruita and one on Horizon Drive) does a pretty good breakfast
  • Dragon Wall Buffet has the best Chinese
  • Nepal Restaurant has the best (and only?) Indian food.
Everyone is free to disagree with my restaurant choices, as they are only my opinion. FYI- we also have all the usual/typical chain restaurants (Applebee's is right across the street from the Mesa Inn), so you won't go hungry, no matter what type of food you like.

Nothing in GJ is very far timewise from anything else. Like 5-10 minutes tops. GJ is not a very large town and it's easy to get around once you know a few major streets.

Hope you have a great time when you're here.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
SPEEDMONKEY said:
Downtown GJ is 15min from Fruita, and 5 minutes from Lunch Loop trail system, which is better than the 18 road stuff (in my opinion).
It's your opinion, not ragging on it. But I don't think one is better than the other. They are pretty different. If you only like technical, 18rd is not the place. Likewise, if you like solitude and quiet, plus flowy narrow hardpack, Lunch Loops is not the place. Everyone should ride both places.

My favorite...
...tech trail in the Valley is Holy Cross.
...flowy trail in the Valley is Kessel Run.

If I had a...
...30-35 lb. bike, Lunch Loops.
...lightweight XC bike, or a single speed, 18 rd.

If I wanted to see...
....dog walkers, Lunch Loops.
...jack rabbits and rigs, 18rd.

If I wanted...
....to unwind after work, Lunch Loops.
....milage, 18rd.

Just a summary, both places are great, regardless of what you ride.

·
I AM PEDALING!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great descripitions guys!

Flowy...Techi....I can't wait!

That all sounds great! We should try and hook up for a ride, it'd be great to ride along with people that know the trails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.