Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Talked to a Mesa City councilman a few weeks back and everything is still a go, so I've been told.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same thing... Kind if like "If it's not on Strava it didn't happen"... now we have "If it's not on MTBR it's not real" :)
let me ask my question a different way -- after coming out for the workday in Dec, can we come out and help again?

a rock gets moved on a trail and there is a video expose up here the next day along with blood oaths of vengeance, but i've heard nothing here or in my shop or on FB or via GROAZ. just seemed like these would be places to engage the community, as is typically done for this type of project. I know it was an out of town org designing it, but I would think Mesa will be looking for community involvement to help maintain and self-police it...so by not fostering those relationships we and the City are somewhat not maximizing the potential for the project. If some riding org is not involved, we are dependent on the City to maintain and design...and that usually doesnt last. I'm psyched if there is a Mesa bike group that is involved, I just havent heard of one.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me ask my question a different way -- after coming out for the workday in Dec, can we come out and help again?

a rock gets moved on a trail and there is a video expose up here the next day along with blood oaths of vengeance, but i've heard nothing here or in my shop or on FB or via GROAZ. just seemed like these would be places to engage the community, as is typically done for this type of project. I know it was an out of town org designing it, but I would think Mesa will be looking for community involvement to help maintain and self-police it...so by not fostering those relationships we and the City are somewhat not maximizing the potential for the project. If some riding org is not involved, we are dependent on the City to maintain and design...and that usually doesnt last. I'm psyched if there is a Mesa bike group that is involved, I just havent heard of one.
If i google 'mesa bike park' i get nothing but a few hits to prior threads on here.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google it as "Mcdowell Recker bike park", it takes you to the city of Mesa page for it:McDowell and Recker Park CP0122

Updated as "tentatively" scheduled for March start of development, ETC November 2014.

John
i found it under those search terms prior to my last post, after I tried 'flagstaff bike park', 'phoenix bike park', 'McDowell bike park' and 'fountain hills bike park' for comparison. The fact that you need to know the cross streets for it to come up in a search shows that they are not connected to the community (yet) and thus far not prioritizing community connections.

I used to live at Recker\Thomas and my kids went to the daycare across the street for 3 yrs, where we regularly rode bikes home past that site. if I still lived there I would have taken it upon myself to personally get to know the city planners, designers, local councilmen and other stakeholders. I would communicate all that to GROAZ and leverage our numbers (50+?) to have myself (or some member of a bike org) become a stakeholder in the project. This is how things get done such that the community becomes a partner in the project. See what has been happening at Brown's Ranch with the Cave Creek bike org, GROAZ with McPump, Flag's Ft Tuthill park with FBO, Phx looking at a site in N. Phx with GROAZ and IMBA, there is a group in the West Valley building at a park out there with a relationship with their city.

i'm not trying to crap on the project by any means (i will do my best to make upcoming volunteer days) just giving all of us advance notice that without a seat at the table, we have no influence, and therefore no security for the project. Any bike org that was engaged with this would be publishing updates, and damn straight they would make their way to this board. If Mesa tables this for whatever reason...no one in the bike community will know and be able to respond with numbers until its too late. Public comments for projects largely mean the project is already determined.

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
I would love to see the project started too. Liek ALL construction projects, there will be delays. Add government project, and you will get even more delays.

I bet they accounted for all that in Fall completion date.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
It is still moving forward. There have been minor happenings and updates on the project but for the most part it is just a waiting game on the City of Mesa to get moving. GROAZ will be making an announcement on the park (and their involvement) at some point but as of right now what little news there is to share isn't worth mentioning until some details get ironed out. Sorry to be vague but I'm doing so in the name of not wanting to spout off half-baked info on the forums.

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Valley Rain Construction has been awarded the contract and issued the notice to proceed.

Rough grade staking is complete and trail staking review and adjustments is underway. The contractor has also begun clearing the balance of the trails this week."

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.