Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas everyone. I rode technical singletrack on dry trails in 60 degree weather yesterday. Just the present I wanted. Hope your Christmas is good, too: )

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Nice!!

That's awesome! I wish that I was there! What did you ride, South Mountain?

I just got done plowing, it's 11° with blowing snow up here, no riding in sight...:madman:

Gonna head out this p.m. and see Avatar with Steve, just me'n'Cindee this Christmas...

Merry Christmas Dave & everyone!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Hanging out in San Diego. No riding :(, but I have been eating enough to keep me well powered for at least 3 months. Been taking a beautiful Pit mix out on hikes, well he actually just takes me where he wants to go, does make uphills easy though.

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
Headin out to crunch some fresh snow under the bike tires soon. Jealous of your riding tho Dave!

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Amber enjoying Holbert Trail earlier in the week.

So the thing I don't understand is how Phoenix can have South Mountain right next to the city full of trails for all users. Have trails that are regularly shuttled and they don't seem to have the access problems we have at places like Apex.

The differences I see are:
- no horses up on the main mountain trails - different conflict groups
- different management approaches
- friendly trail users that don't clash with each other? I passed numerous different types of trail users (runners, walkers, dog owners) and every was friendly.

Maybe it's just the fact that they are psyched they have beautiful warm weather in the winter and it is not brutally hot any more. :p

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha you guys are funny:) the riding is pretty good down here and I've only been to one area. South mountain has a really good variety of terrain. I spent today doing shuttle runs withthe local dh/freeride posse. We rode some marked and some unmarked trails on the mt. Some of it would have been frightening if i wasn't following some fast riders that knew the line. If I lived here, I could see having a bigger bike. Following the dh bikes on my Tomac Snyper was not easy. Super fun, though.

Indecent - I don't know if you've ridden there but I'm pretty sure you'll dig it. Super chunky and full of drops.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
zzsean said:
View attachment 507746
Amber enjoying Holbert Trail earlier in the week.

So the thing I don't understand is how Phoenix can have South Mountain right next to the city full of trails for all users. Have trails that are regularly shuttled and they don't seem to have the access problems we have at places like Apex.

The differences I see are:
- no horses up on the main mountain trails - different conflict groups
- different management approaches
- friendly trail users that don't clash with each other? I passed numerous different types of trail users (runners, walkers, dog owners) and every was friendly.

Maybe it's just the fact that they are psyched they have beautiful warm weather in the winter and it is not brutally hot any more. :p
I think you nailed the differences. The west is the best. And yes, I think I will let the CO door hit my butt on the way out. Back to the (rainy as hell) PNW for me.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zzsean - agreed. I noticed a definite lack of trail conflict out there. It was great. All users seemed to get along quite well. I was also astounded that 99% of the hikers got out of the way of bikes, too.

I made a write up of the trip over in passion:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582423

·
Registered
277 Posts
how are the trails in your area?

Dave,
I've been out of town and just wondering how the trails are in your area? Picture Rock, Heil, and Hall? Please inform, I'm returning to Boulder tomorrow and would like to ride those areas. If not then hoping that Marshall is dry enough.

thanks!

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not really sure, WAZCO as I've been out myself. A local was just in and reported Picture Rock to be mostly snow with a little mud. That's about all I know. Given how much snow is on our property, my best guess is that the trails would be a crapshot at best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.