Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhhh..the money isn't important :) it's the history and unused condition that excites me.
The previous owner said it was the last or near last one that Rob Vandermark actually worked on before leaving Merlin...but how accurate that is I don't know.
I have mailed Merlin to see if they know anything...here's hoping for a response!
Frame number is XM819

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
Here's a bit of trivia: Many years ago when Zap was still editor at MBA, the guys at Merlin asked him what kind of bike he'd like to see. He asked for an Exralight Mountain. There was no Extralight Mountain back then; the Extralight was Merlin's topline road bike. Anyway, Merlin built an Extralight Mountain for MBA to test, MBA gave it good marks, and Merlin categorically stated that they would never put the Extralight Mountain into production. Ha!

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
Indeed. Is he still at Trek? I enjoyed his column back in the day, and feel that Mountain Bike Magazine was at its best when he was Editor in Chief. Dude had good taste in music. I ran into him at a Starbucks around here maybe six or seven years ago. He was very polite and nice.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Zap: I ran into him twice many years back, both times at Mt Snow, and both time he was a complete tool. One time Ned Overland apologized to me, for Zap's behavior! Well, I guess I should thank Zap for creating that memory!

Don't think he's at Trek anymore, I believe he's back with a motocross magazine.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You're right KDX he is back at High Torque publications works for Motocross Action and contributes to MBA. Harry that bike is a true find, may not be as vintage as most bikes here but thank god someone saved it from it being under a tarp for another 11 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.