Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I picked this up. Thought I'd share my progress, and some pics, since it seems like we've been lacking in that department as of late, or at least it seems that way to me. No insult intended to those who have stuck some up lately:D So it's a bit of a neo-retro build currently. I've been busy sourcing different bits, White Industries Ti BB, Topline SL's, Hope Ti rear hub, Nuke Proof front, NOS X517 CD's, Marwi Ti Dyes with red nips, Ringle Twisters in pewter, Moots ti post, Specialized ti stem, Titec Flat Tracker bar, Pauls levers (new but timeless), the saddle and my butt just like eachother:D . The XTR derraileurs are the latest, but being really light, and carbon sexy, it works for me! Tires, well, they're not period, but I can't be bothered with that for a rider, and besides, Stans yellow tape in there, and they're running tubeless, call me modern, but I like it! :p

It's currently 21.3 lbs :eekster: , and that fork is a boat anchor, but it just looks good on there, so it's in for the moment. Scares me how light it could be without it. I'm working on as much Ti as possible, just because :rolleyes: The pedals are 747's but they look bulky on those svelte SL arms, not sure what to do there, any thoughts?

Comments, suggestions, criticisms, bring it, lets have fun:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
602 Posts
Nice bike. You could get a super light weight racing fork and carbon pedals and switch them back and forth if you want to ride and go back to retro. Forks arent that hard to take off and on, get a sid or a fox racing fork and go with it. Not sure what the lightest forks are but you could shave some pounds if you want to.

·
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pimpride said:
Nice bike. You could get a super light weight racing fork and carbon pedals and switch them back and forth if you want to ride and go back to retro. Forks arent that hard to take off and on, get a sid or a fox racing fork and go with it. Not sure what the lightest forks are but you could shave some pounds if you want to.
Thanks! Carbon pedals??? The fork's heavy, but I doubt any more than a Fox. It's a White Brothers SC90, nice fork, right time frame, but much beefier than a Sid, which would be nice. I just can't do the BLUE!!!! that it came in. The bikes so nice and understated in color, ya know? I had a rigid carbon fork on there, it was fun, and silly light, but I do like the squish :D

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
Forks Not That Beefy

And good luck finding a Fox that's lighter. I'd say stick with it unless you're going rigid :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
What a really great looking bike. I'd love to own that. My question is, can something that new actually be vintage?

Even if the powers to be say it's too new for vintage, I want one.

Tim

·
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's a 1998, so it's still a Boston built frame. I guess that's old enough?You tell me :D They guy that owned it before me took nice care of it, and all I got from him was frame fork (s) and headset. The rest is either well cared used stuff, or NOS. Thanks, glad you like it. I've wanted one since I threw a leg over my buddies 15 years ago. Best welds in the business! Like these? That pic makes my knees weak:D

Hollister, like those? I love the Cateye plugs. Cheap, solid, and pretty bullet proof:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
indigosky said:
Nice looking build, although I wouldn't ride one of the Specy ti stems. I've seen a couple crack pretty badly.
I have couple, that have not presented a problem, but I have heard that. I chalked it up to heavier riders, more aggressive riding etc, but it's a fair point. I had a Titec ti on there, but it was too long for my taste, and was flat too. I need to do one or two things. either find a decent ti riser, with some sweep so I can use that stem, or find a similar dimension stem from someone with less of a bad record :eekster:

G

·
MendonCycleSmith said:
I have couple, that have not presented a problem, but I have heard that. I chalked it up to heavier riders, more aggressive riding etc, but it's a fair point. I had a Titec ti on there, but it was too long for my taste, and was flat too. I need to do one or two things. either find a decent ti riser, with some sweep so I can use that stem, or find a similar dimension stem from someone with less of a bad record :eekster:
Rumor has it that Moots is going to start production on riser bars again... maybe that will drive the black market, er, I mean ebay prices, for them back down...

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
what brakes are those?
ditto on the stem.
get a kore elite. it matches the bike.. there is nothing better than a merlin xlm.

i would go w/ a vicious cycles steel fork. and midge drop bars.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
The pedals are 747's but they look bulky on those svelte SL arms, not sure what to do there, any thoughts?
Since you asked and you're not worried about using new stuff how bout Ti Eggbeaters?

Beautiful bike :thumbsup:

·
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Colker- they're Avid Tri-Align V's, to my knowledge, only made for a year or two. I've actually got a Kore, but I'm working with a everything that can be ti, is ti theme:D

Rumpfy- Thanks, can't wait till it's not quite so,.....clean:cool:

Indigosky- That'd be the bee knees, I've been thinking that I should call James @ Blacksheep too. Waiting for more toy money to make itself:madman:

AZJeff- Therein lies the rub. All modern pedals seem to rely on an allen wrench through the backside approach, no wrench flats anymore. The Toplines have the back end of the pedal holes solid, so once the pedals in, it can't be tightened, and if it could, it couldn't be removed, grrrrr.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Really nice frame.

Brakes - aren't they Tri align III's. They are the ones with the long arms that could be adjusted for use with 700c wheels, no?

Pedals - does it matter if you use clip ins? Some old Odyssey Svelte Ti flats would be nice - very light too!

·
16,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
top_ringBrakes - aren't they Tri align [B said:
III's[/B]. They are the ones with the long arms that could be adjusted for use with 700c wheels, no?
Thanks :) I think you're correct. I guess I was being a bit lax, most folks remember the Tri align as a canti, so I was just differentiating. However, you saying that about 700c wheels, and me thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. Didn't know that, way cool, nice tip! :thumbsup:

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
AZJeff- Therein lies the rub. All modern pedals seem to rely on an allen wrench through the backside approach, no wrench flats anymore. The Toplines have the back end of the pedal holes solid, so once the pedals in, it can't be tightened, and if it could, it couldn't be removed, grrrrr.
Maybe some of those lollipop things with a ti spindle? Bebops or Frogs or something..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts