Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Slower than you...
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a Mental Health Day (otherwise known as vacation) this Friday & plan to spend it solo on the trail - but I haven't yet decided where to wander off to.

The following conditions are in place:
1). I want to go someplace I haven't ridden before
2) It must be within two hours of Houston
3) Shouldn't be a boring ride, yet it mustn't be so gnarly technical that I'm likely to kill myself - nice, swoopy singletrack is what I'm after.

I ride the Anthills and Huntsville State Park regularly, so scratch those two. I don't want to fight the crowds at Memorial Park - so that's out.

My short list is:
1) Double Lake - this is my first choice, but the GHORBA race is on Saturday / Sunday; are the trails likely open Friday?
2) Sam Houston National Forest in New Waverly
3) Lake Somerville
4) Warda
5) Jack Brooks Park

Am I missing some hidden gem? If *you* had a free day, where would you go? Why?

tdh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out the trails by Cypresswood, its a nice 5-6 mile ride with a rewarding bowl at the end. Make sure you bring a can of insect repellent which I didn't do. The trail run parrallel to a gully/creek. In general there aren't many place to ride around here as Memorial Park is way to crowded. I need to find AnT hills, also becareful it rainied pretty hard today out here so the trails might be all mushy.

·
Slower than you...
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drgnfly said:
I need to find AnT hills...
More properly known as Terry Hershey Park. Go west on Memorial drive from the Memorial / Eldridge intersection. Here's a park map from the Precinct 3 website. The parking lot is about a mile down on the right (north) side of Memorial. Take the paved trail south until you cross Buffalo Bayou. Once on the south side of the bayou, go east back toward Eldridge. Just before the paved path crosses Eldridge, the entrance to the trail system is on the left.

From there, it's about 6 miles of trails all the way to Beltway 8. If you're looking for technical up & down, rooty chutes & plenty of oh-sh*ts, veer left at each fork in the trail. Generally speaking, the closer you are to the bayou, the gnarlier the trail is. If you're beaten to death by the time you get to Wilcrest, you can always cross over to the north side of the bayou for a paved cruise home.

One bit of warning: there are lots of blind spots in the trail and the trails are heavily used. On a typical Thursday afternoon ride, I'll meet 30 or so other riders. Make your presence known when approaching these areas (Rider Up!), or ahem... altercations can occur.

tdh

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recommend going to Bluff Creek Ranch near LaGrange. I go there about once a month. They have 12 miles of nice, technical singletrack. All the trails are one way, so you don't have to worry about yelling "RIDER" around blind corners. I think the charge is $6 to ride all day. The couple who owns the ranch are super cool.

Here's their website:
http://www.bcrwarda.com/

Their phone #'s are:
Home: 979-242-5894
Cell: 979-540-6323

Call them on Thurs. just to make sure they're gonna have the trails open.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recommend going to Bluff Creek Ranch near LaGrange. I go there about once a month. They have 12 miles of nice, technical singletrack. All the trails are one way, so you don't have to worry about yelling "RIDER" around blind corners. I think the charge is $6 to ride all day. The couple who owns the ranch are super cool.

Here's their website:
http://www.bcrwarda.com/

Their phone #'s are:
Home: 979-242-5894
Cell: 979-540-6323

Call them on Thurs. just to make sure they're gonna have the trails open. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there from H-town.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.