Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, mental block sucks when riding. I used to be faster than I am now, but I have this mental block that has slowed me down, and kept me where I'm at. The thought of getting hurt, which goes through all of our minds. Some of you have much better success getting over it than I have. What's frustrating is I know I could go so much faster. There's been only a handful of days (been riding 3 years) that I truly feel "in the zone" and I fly. I was much faster last year than this year, and I know it's mental. If I could always get myself in that much needed state of mind, it would be great! Any of you have a trick that you use to turn that focus on at will?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Seriously body armor and riding with faster riders only goes so far w/ mental obstacles - you end up resetting after a few rides. If there are bike skill clinics in your area you might want to take some lessons to boost your confidence, couldn't hurt. Personally the older I get the slower I ride and not because my ability is decreasing. I find injuries really do affect the quality of life - job, family etc. Mountain biking can be a dangerous sport so there is always a risk.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
#1 way to ride faster.......look further down the trail....I bet you are looking at the front wheel and STARING at every obstacle......scan the trail further down and this will add speed right away

·
Registered
612 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
#1 way to ride faster.......look further down the trail....I bet you are looking at the front wheel and STARING at every obstacle......scan the trail further down and this will add speed right away
That's a big one right there. I've found spending a little time concentrating on looking farther ahead helps a lot :thumbsup: Also, for sections you're familiar with, concentrate on staying off the brakes and working the bike to get through-basically do your best to force yourself to go faster and the faster you go, the less time you have to concentrate on a single obstacle :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
mjsca07 said:
Wow, mental block sucks when riding. I used to be faster than I am now, but I have this mental block that has slowed me down, and kept me where I'm at. The thought of getting hurt, which goes through all of our minds. Some of you have much better success getting over it than I have. What's frustrating is I know I could go so much faster. There's been only a handful of days (been riding 3 years) that I truly feel "in the zone" and I fly. I was much faster last year than this year, and I know it's mental. If I could always get myself in that much needed state of mind, it would be great! Any of you have a trick that you use to turn that focus on at will?
im good on the fast part but its new jumps that make me hit a mental wall...
but i found that sometimes if you just do it you'll find it easy and do it over and over.
(music helps) just keep riding

·
Registered
195 Posts
62kona said:
Totally agree with looking further down the trail. Also, I find that if I go over the trail in my mind, and get really exited about it, and see myself flying over all the rocks and jumps and everything, I feel much more confident when I drop in.
62Kona is making an interesting point.

Firstly, we need to get the right tips, techniques and training. So a skills clinic or riding with people who are more skilled is essential. Then, in my opinion, putting the skills into practice and using mental imagery when not riding will give great results... especially when faced with mental blocks.

Research into neuroplasticity (i.e. changes in the brain, such as more neural connections) has discovered that using correct technique in mental imagery is producing almost the same amount of changes in the brain as 'real life' practice. Injured elite athletes are encouraged to continue training (to improve technique) via mental imagery due to the neuroplasticity benefits. Not only are there measureable improvements in the increase of neural connections... there are measureable improvements in real life technique.

So ride your bike as much as possible to improve physical fitness and improve your technique (after being taught effective skills) and go over the trail in your mind (perhaps at night when laying in bed before going to sleep) as if you were really riding the trail, step by step, obstacle by obstacle to continue to improve your performance. I'm sure that there are resources/books available that specifically address different mental imagery techniques that you could find if you choose to explore mental imagery further.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<Steven> said:
62Kona is making an interesting point.

Firstly, we need to get the right tips, techniques and training. So a skills clinic or riding with people who are more skilled is essential. Then, in my opinion, putting the skills into practice and using mental imagery when not riding will give great results... especially when faced with mental blocks.

Research into neuroplasticity (i.e. changes in the brain, such as more neural connections) has discovered that using correct technique in mental imagery is producing almost the same amount of changes in the brain as 'real life' practice. Injured elite athletes are encouraged to continue training (to improve technique) via mental imagery due to the neuroplasticity benefits. Not only are there measureable improvements in the increase of neural connections... there are measureable improvements in real life technique.

So ride your bike as much as possible to improve physical fitness and improve your technique (after being taught effective skills) and go over the trail in your mind (perhaps at night when laying in bed before going to sleep) as if you were really riding the trail, step by step, obstacle by obstacle to continue to improve your performance. I'm sure that there are resources/books available that specifically address different mental imagery techniques that you could find if you choose to explore mental imagery further.

Best of luck!
I'll give this a try, thanks.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
62kona said:

Fixed :thumbsup:
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxxer rider
i found knowing there is a NAKED HORNY HOT CHICK WITH A COLD BEER at the end of the trail you need to DRINK help huge amounts. had one of my best runs while trying to get down to a NAKED AND HORNEY HOT CHICK holding a COLD BEER.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Ah.... You will also find that mental wall will keep you from doing numerous things that once came natural to you.
Welcome to what I call..... 'GETTIN OLD'

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I ride with one ear bud in with music going I ride quite a bit better, think less and just do...

The first time might be a little weird having music in one ear and some people say it makes them feel out of balance. All I know if it works wonders for me, I get into the music and just go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.