Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search, but found no info. Thinking about making the move from Tahoe to the Ukiah area (work related). How bummed and/or stoked will I be? I know I'm spoiled in Tahoe with all the riding right out my door and rarely have to drive to ride unless I'm going to the other side of the lake or Dville. Are there any spots in the area with good riding right there, or will I be driving a lot? FYI I'm an all-mtn xc rider who likes challenging trails that dont' require a DH rig. Big climbs/descents, rocky, fast, scenic, are all good. Also, what else is there to do nearby? Swimming, hiking, music, camping, etc. General quality of life? Good spots to find a house or spots to avoid? Better to live in Tahoe and make the drive back and forth once a week, or live in Mendo and explore new stuff and visit Tahoe a bit less until it snows?

G

·
Tried to search, but found no info. Thinking about making the move from Tahoe to the Ukiah area (work related). How bummed and/or stoked will I be? I know I'm spoiled in Tahoe with all the riding right out my door and rarely have to drive to ride unless I'm going to the other side of the lake or Dville. Are there any spots in the area with good riding right there, or will I be driving a lot? FYI I'm an all-mtn xc rider who likes challenging trails that dont' require a DH rig. Big climbs/descents, rocky, fast, scenic, are all good. Also, what else is there to do nearby? Swimming, hiking, music, camping, etc. General quality of life? Good spots to find a house or spots to avoid? Better to live in Tahoe and make the drive back and forth once a week, or live in Mendo and explore new stuff and visit Tahoe a bit less until it snows?
I grew up there...you will be bummed! Ukiah is a far cry from the town of Mendocino...Its been 15 years since I left Ukiah but, it has a pretty depressed economy, its HOT, limited trails... There are some good trails there for sure. I'm not sure what the bike scene is there lately? There are great moto trails there, and Ukiah Brewing and Mendocino Brewing are located there :thumbsup:

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
If say contact some locals and got visit a day in Ukiah and a day in Mendo and ride some trails. A move is something you don't want to regret and should take some time and do proper on the ground research.

No idea who to talk to in Ukiah but check with www.mendobikesprite.com for the local Mendo goods.

Chat with Jesse(NugJug here on MTBR) who is a guide with the sprites as he works in Ukiah(non bike related) from time to time if my memory is correct.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,858 Posts
I visit Ukiah once in a while to see relatives, and it's pretty boring. What uncle mama said, hot and limited. You see lots of homeless due to the fact that there's only one main N/S street, and to get anywhere, you pretty much have to take that street, so they're pretty visible. That said, I've had yet to be hassled by a homeless dude.

The beer scene is disappointing- the organic brewery/restaurant in downtown is pretty expensive, and I haven't sampled many of their beers, due to the cost. Mendocino Brewing Co. is kinda bleagh, too. They have a couple of semi-tasty beers, but they only serve hotdogs at their alehouse! Boo!

2 bike shops, a Schwinn shop, which I've never been in, and Dave's, which seems to be ok. I was in there yesterday, and it seemed like their mtb selection had shrunk a little bit. 2 higher priced mtbs in the window, a Giant and another major brand. Trek, maybe? I was in there yesterday, and it was the first visit where I felt like someone actually cared that I was there.

Biggest town nearby is Santa Rosa, 1 hour away. Good riding there at Annadel, and you have the Russian River Brew Co. there, along with several other breweries and bigger bike shops. Boggs is an hour away (from Ukiah), with excellent camping & a sweeeeet trail system in the forest.

Music-wise, there's a small record/CD shoppe on the main drag, Dig! Music. Pricey, but I don't mind paying his prices because Mike's a good guy, employs several knowledgeable people, and they can pretty much order anything you want. They have live music in-store once in a while (Sat is Record Store Day), but they are usually fiddle bands, or banjo-type outfits. Kiss won't be playing in town anytime soon. :D Again, Santa Rosa might be a better bet for live music. And Robben Ford is from Ukiah, but I don't think he ever plays here.

I've ridden here once, and it was a fun trail near the lake. Nothing very technical, though. Just meanders around, up and down, with nice views of the puddle that used to be Lake Mendocino. Oh, yeah, there's a drought going on. :(

I've been poking around a little to find work here. I don't really want to move here, but if I found a job I really liked, I'd make the move. Maybe... Don't get me wrong, I like visiting here, but not sure that I'd want to live here.

Here's a thread from a few years back that may help you: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/ukiah-whats-like-riding-774143.html

And another asking about Williams (85 miles away) w/ a little pertinent info: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/mtbing-near-williams-836388.html

Good luck!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,858 Posts
Is your work in the cannabis business? That's their economy in a nutshell. Super hot and isolated there.
No kidding.

I was in the local grocery co-op (super expensive) and the guy ahead of me had 2 paper bags full of groceries and paid the $102 tab in cash with nary a flinch. That was my first thought, pot bucks.

$102 for 2 bags of groceries!!?! What year is this, 2019?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not in the cannabis business. Other options are Eureka and maybe Merced or Bakersfield. This seems best and closest to Tahoe. Right now leaning towards staying in Tahoe and making the drive once a week. Maybe camping on the coast or somewhere nearby some weeks to avoid the drive.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Medford is near Ashland which is one of the best towns in Oregon. Good riding, food and weather. Eureka is also a cannabis based economy. Bakersfield give rise to great country music, but I'd stay clear at all costs.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,858 Posts
Medford is near Ashland which is one of the best towns in Oregon. Good riding, food and weather. Eureka is also a cannabis based economy. Bakersfield give rise to great country music, but I'd stay clear at all costs.
Lol, he said Merced, not Medford. BIG difference.

And yeah, stay VERY clear of Bakersfield.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Southern Oregon is pretty awesome, probably where I would go if forced from here.

I will say that our (Humboldt's) green economy, while there, is less pervasive that Mendo. A professional can make it here if they are good at what they do. And we are building trails - 15 miles of bike specific stuff under construction now, miles more in Arcata, Eureka just this week approved a 1,000 acre community forest which will have a bunch more trails. Something like 30 miles of new stuff over the next few years. Things are looking up, in my estimation, but I have been accused of being an optimist. I like it here. Great road and mtb if you like things a bit raw, fast riders, great people, music scene thanks to the college, etc. Really good spot for the right person. Kind of a low-key Santa Cruz, but not for everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.