Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Fort Bragg and am wondering if there are any closures or logging activity to be aware of in/around JSF and Woodlands?

Finally able to introduce my daughter to the riding up there (she’s 11). She’s requested “a big ride” so am looking at covering 25 mi w/2500-3000’). Have ridden up there several times and will have a Garmin and Roo’s book. I am thinking of going in Big River haul road doing a woodlands loop and then back out the haul road. Other suggestions are welcome. She’s riding a hardtail and is fairly capable up and down (JMP is our usual terrain).

Also, I’m looking to explore the area east of Little Valley Rd up in Cleone. I’ve accessed Sherwood Rd from there in the past without any issue. Any intel on whether I’d be okay there or get booted by loggers?

Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This new formats tends to lose replies. Damn!

The Caspar Scales is closed due to a THP. But, the area is not being logged due to protesters in the woods. But ride it anyway as there are NO trees cut anywhere near Parallel, EZN and Jackaroo trail. Don't pay any attention to the security at the parking at Scales. Trails north of Hwy 20 are closed as well.

Here is a map of a new trail ride (Observatory Trail) for you to have a major rush on. The trail was completed last summer. We kept it in great shape through the winter packing it in for total pleasure this summer. It starts at the top of Forest History and ends up at the top of Rd 700 below paralleling Rd 408. It is 2.2 miles long with tons of fast flowy banked switchbacks. There are some good climbs as well.

Sweet Pea is a fun 4.9 mile climb on this map. Enjoy.

I would not bother going to the Little Valley area as no one goes there due to a ton of private THPs over the last few years. The Bald HIll climb is gone.

BTW: All trails are in decent shape even after the last weekend Ibis Migration.

Best,
Roo

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rode a similar loop a month ago but added down Cook House and up Manley Gulch. The Observatoy Connector is super fun headed down to Parallel action! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Looking to head up there soon. Hoping to camp at Russian Gulch Campground. As a first timer, is it going to be easy to find my way from the campground to those Observatory trails and back?
I don't own a cell phone, so cant download maps and look at them as I ride. Looking for an online map of that area that I can print out. Any trail signs along the way?
Or maps that I can pick up in the area. It doesn't look like Trailforks or AllTrails have a complete map of that area.
Looking at Trailforks, it seems like taking North Boundary Trail > Parallel Action would get me there and back.
Better suggestions?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Buy Roo's book. It'll have maps. And if you have an odomoter on your bike, points you can follow. Approximately zero trail signs, so a book with tons of detail or a GPS are recommended. Or a guide.
To answer your specific question, the N Boundary trail will bring you right to "EOP" on the map above.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I ride with a Garmin solar watch. So can keep track of time/distance, etc. Pretty good at finding my way around with my photographic memory after studying online maps/Google Earth, etc. - been backcountry skiing in Mendocino National Forest for the past 30 years.

If I head up that way to ride, I would need to find a place to camp out the night before as I live in the Napa Valley - about 4 hours away. The State Parks are always full up there.
Been having fun camping and riding at Salt Point State Park this summer. Was able to find some open campsites a few times so far, but no luck up there in Mendo.
Thanx for the route tip.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Great. Get Roo's book and study the maps ;). Catch a Canoe can sell you a map too. Maps! Catch A Canoe & Bicycles Too! | At Stanford Inn Mendocino Coast CA
I know little about campgrounds, perhaps someone can suggest them, or places where you won't get hassled boondocking. There are also private CGs in the area. Looks like Dunlap may be first come first serve as well, though it's almost 20 miles inland on 20. Also check if the Mendocino Woodlands has campsites--they've put a bunch online for individual use this year.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I got lost pretty much immediately. But I rode Roo's route recommended above. I went into the trails above road 500 before I realized I was in the wrong area and had a ton of fun.

I forgot to bring Roo's book (left in the car) or my printouts (also left in the car). Eventually I got service and figured out where I was.

I highly recommend the trails north of 500. They were excellent. I used ezin to get in to sweatpea when I was done and going to the route by Roo above and ezout to get back to the Casper scales. Both were surprisngly difficult given the "ez" name.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys,

There are no more books available. Sold out last winter. Scales are closed but no logging going on. Closure is more of a punishment for the protesters closing down the timber harvests. Ride the trails anyway. Please, don't tell anyone I told you so.

I think Cassieno is incorrect with his road designation. Rd 410 is not advised as it is just south of Hwy 20 and no trails intersect it. I would think he meant Rd 510 in the Caspar area. Rd 510 goes off the north side of Rd 500 down to Rd 450. That area is OK. But mostly logging road up to Rd 408 and down to Rd 400 to Hwy 20. I'm also putting the official closure map here with additional information regarding names.

EzOut and EZN were designated as such as the former was the easiest way up to Rd 409 from Caspar Creek. EZN was an easy and only way to get to Rd 600 from the Scales down to Caspar Creek. The North and South Weir trails are open too. Those can be found off Rd 620. I suggest going down North Weir and Up South Weir for a good downhill and a hard uphill climb. The top of North Weir is off Rd 513 see map above.

Please PM if you guys need more information. It will be a crowded weekend here so be aware of head on traffic on all trails, especially Observatory trail.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You are right, thanks for the clarification Roo. Like I said I got lost :D I updated my post. My map was giving me the wrong road designations. I hung out in the area you highlighted and had a great time. I see the problem - trailforks highlights rd 500 as rd 410. It's really 500.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You are right, thanks for the clarification Roo. Like I said I got lost :D I updated my post. My map was giving me the wrong road designations. I hung out in the area you highlighted and had a great time. I see the problem - trailforks highlights rd 500 as rd 410. It's really 500.
Glad I could help. Keeping as many people safe in the woods is very important to our community.

Unfortunately on Trail forks too many folks are dabbling with misinformation and posting as such. One example is the east end of Widow maker which ends at the west end of Widow's Walk. Some misguided biker had posted WM ending on Rd 511 (Wuss Hill). WM doesn't even reach the Maze. So be cautious keep a hard copy of a map to back you up. Catch-A-Canoe maps are good enough. BTW: Gas Tank and Parallel This! are not noted as such.

Here's a more inclusive JDSF western sector area maps done for the 2019 Ibis Migration (Covid canceled):

This maybe a tad confusing but you get an idea what's out there.
Roo

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trails were great! My daughter and I had a blast. Did an 18 mi loop, using a route I created on on Strava (thanks for the suggestions) routed by my Garmin. That worked quite well. made one wrong turn as I didn’t catch it in time and had about 1/8 mi backtracking.
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Sunlight

Can‘t wait to come back - need to try out the migration route.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got back from Mendo! What a place. Did 2 rides, and I've posted my ride logs below:

Small Ride: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/29859140/
Big Ride: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/29909108/

In my opinion, highlights were EZN and EZ Out (great DHs to start and end a big ride), and Endo/ONO/Boilder (another great DH section).

Manley Gulch and Big Tree were really beautiful. Observatory trail was nicely built, could be and uphill or downhill. Sweetpea is a great climb, didn't seem like a particularly exciting DH though.

Anything I missed that I should make sure I hit on my trip? I will definitely return.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I enjoyed the Wood Sprite / Equestrian / Jiro's Playground small loops. They are not a full ride by themselves, but some fun optional features and cool environment. Quite a few small trails around that area that you can link into to create mileage.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just got back from Mendo. First time.
Camped out at the Caspar Headlands State Beach and rode EOP/OT. EZ Out was a fun descent, Sweet Pea was really cool and dropping Observatory Trail was a ton of fun. Looped it back around on Confusion and finished up with the Parallel Action Trail.
Small loop with a local to guide me around. Will be back for a longer ride soon...
Packed on the calories on the way in and on the way out at Patterson's Pub in Mendocino. Calamari/mussles/bison burger on the way in. Fish tacos/bison burger post ride.
Thanx for the tips Roo!
Will definitely be going back for more. Just under 3 hour drive from the Napa Valley.

·
Registered
336 Posts
highlights were EZN

Sweetpea is a great climb, didn't seem like a particularly exciting DH though..
100% on EZN. I think it's on my list of top 10 trails. The bottom where you cross the creek is so beautiful...except for the mosquitos!

I ride there often as wife inherited a place up there, and the first time I rode Sweetpea I did it downhill. It was fun. But then my friend up there who I ride with took me up hill, and I gotta say, even tho I am a slow climber, I prefer climbing that trail. Just the very top gets a little boring, but the single track is really fun.

If Widow Maker was open and in its prior state, I'd recommend riding it at least once for the experience. It used to be so cool. But it's closed, I think due to landslide.

·
getting back into it...
125 Posts
There was a NorCal coach retreat in Mendocino County over the weekend and I was lucky enough to attend for work as a league sponsor. I missed the big ride they did on Saturday, but we did a short one on Sunday. I have to admit the terrain was a little out of my usual element and I had to walk down a couple chutes before I felt warmed up (mentally). We did Endo/Ono/Boiler I think, and climbed back up a fire road. Good times, beautiful forest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There was a NorCal coach retreat in Mendocino County over the weekend and I was lucky enough to attend for work as a league sponsor. I missed the big ride they did on Saturday, but we did a short one on Sunday. I have to admit the terrain was a little out of my usual element and I had to walk down a couple chutes before I felt warmed up (mentally). We did Endo/Ono/Boiler I think, and climbed back up a fire road. Good times, beautiful forest.
Were you with all those old timers sitting around in their camp chairs who started hollering at me at the bottom of Manly Gulch on Saturday? The trail ends at a camp down there and I heard a bunch of shouting/chanting or something, decided to check it out. Got shouted at when I came into view so turned around and went on my way. It was kind of weird and humorous to me but certainly memorable.

Other memorable experiences of that ride was getting to hang out with Big Tree for like an hour, just me and the tree. It was really touching to be back in redwoods after so many years and wasn't expecting to see such an old tree on that ride. The other is almost having a heart attack when someone fired off a bunch of rounds from a rifle right above me near the top of Observatory Trail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts