Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m newbie so few words about: mx and xc racer, some mx stage races too (3 in Nation. Champ. MX, 2003, 5 in Nation. Champ. MX, 2005 in Poland), girl ;) elite category.

I’m making training plans for next season and few question bother me much.

My and my friends (boys) we are preparing for more or less the same events (mx - the same course for men and women). But boys are usually about 30minutes faster than me.
Should it be any difference in our training, as far time on the bike, because of this 30 min? (my race is 30 minutes longer). Should it be any difference because I’m woman?

Of course every one’s training is based on his/hers own hart rate zones, LT thresholds and so on.

Can You help me to find any clues about training for MX series (Nationals or World Cup) performed by girls?

Yes, I’ve read Friel’s Bible, Morris’s Performance Cycling and Charmichael’s book ;)

mx_girl

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Is MX not motocross? Or something regarding dirt bikes? If so, this forum will be of no help. But from the sounds of some things you do mean biking..? Mountain biking, its all about training and mental preparedness.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
mx_girl said:
MX means Mountain Bike Marathon:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb/

mx_girl
Oh, just checking. Mostly when I hear MX its a "sport" regarding rich high school kids driving automatic dirt bikes because they cant drive a manual anything.

There really shouldnt be too much more training for you as for being a woman and that extra half hour. Try to just achieve your peak phyiscal capability and from there you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would try not to be too concerned with what others are doing.

Make your plan based on what you feel is best for you. There is not shortage of Ideas on training plans. In my opinion the most important thing is that you have a plan and stick with it. 30 min in a 6+ hour race is fairly insignifigant. At that point it is more about how you have ate/ hydrated/paced during the race, than how long your training rides were.

There is no difference between genders when it comes to endurance training. All principals apply the same to you as they do to your friends. See you in the NORBA marathons. Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pedalfaraway said:
30 min in a 6+ hour race is fairly insignifigant.
In our country there are too kinds of mountain bike marathons: shorter (55-75 km) and longer (100-120 km). I'm taking part in these shorter ones (because national championships are about 75 km long). The time of the race for me is 3 h to 3h 45minutes and depends on how difficult the course is.

mx_girl

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wondered about the same thing: My race times would be 30+minutes more than my riding buddy. It made me think if I had to train more...because it took me longer. It turns out this was not really correct.

I have read the same three books you have quoted. Dave Morris is my coach. I would think that any of the three coaches would have you doing LSD rides that were longer than you target MX race and certainly have some race simulation of MX course at some point. However, I think the basis of improving is the intensity of your zone 5 workouts (improve power output) and then extending the total work time of the exercise to gain more endurance as you improve. As your power output increases and endurance increases at threshold; your race times would concurrently decrease.

Of course I am not a coach so I don't know how to structure a plan for you. However, I would like to mention having Dave as my coach has really changed my racing experience. My fitness has changed in ways that I could not imagine attaining without him and the big thing is...I feel great thoughout the season and enjoy riding. When I self coached I trained according to time available after work and family life...and it was killing me. I was riding harder when I should have rested. Road slower when I should have been doing high intensity. I felt terribly worn out and sickly when I trained hap-hazardly.

I would encourage you to seek a coach as as it is an art that requires a great deal of experience to know what works.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GspotRider said:
I would encourage you to seek a coach as as it is an art that requires a great deal of experience to know what works.
It's not so easy in my country. Mx is quite new "something" for most of coaches
here, who have experience with road and xc raiders only.
I had such a coach last season and I felt being trained like a xc rider. Xc race for women means less then 2 h (1h 30 minutes sometimes) on the bike, and mx race means 3h to 3h 45 minutes. The general idea was ok, I think, I managed to reach most of my goals but many things might have been better. The point was the time on the bike, I think, and the exact heart rate I should do the most "painfull" ;) training sessions.

mx_girl

·
Banned
226 Posts
mx_girl said:
It's not so easy in my country. Mx is quite new "something" for most of coaches
here, who have experience with road and xc raiders only.
I had such a coach last season and I felt being trained like a xc rider. Xc race for women means less then 2 h (1h 30 minutes sometimes) on the bike, and mx race means 3h to 3h 45 minutes. The general idea was ok, I think, I managed to reach most of my goals but many things might have been better. The point was the time on the bike, I think, and the exact heart rate I should do the most "painfull" ;) training sessions.

mx_girl
Sounds intense. Once you find a program, I would like to learn about it. I have never done a race like that, but would love to try it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know, how do marathons look in the wolrld, but in Poland they are rather fast. Level of the riders is getting higher and higher (polish marathon champion in women elite category is Maja Włoszczowska). Howeever we don't have such big mountains as Alps, the tracks are tough. Polish campionship route was 65km long and had attitude difference over 1700m. Riders go rather like in a xc race - very fast from start to finish and poor women between them ;) So you have a 60-100km xc race (on a little bit easier track - marathons in Poland don't need much technikal skills) - training becomes a little complicated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.