Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in the Douthat / Hot Springs area Friday May 27th - Monday May 30th. I'm looking to temporarily abandon the wife and kids to ride once a day for 2-4 hours or about 20 miles per day.

If anyone wants to get together to ride Douthat or explore other area rides, which seem numberous, let me know.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I've never ridden in that area--but it's only about a 90 minute drive (1hr 42min according to mapquest) from Charlottesville to get there. I don't think I have any major plans for the weekend but I might be up for a ride one of those three days.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HMMMM, would be an Epic Ride

Are you staying in Hot SPrings? I'm probably going to be aruond there that weekend. Maybe we can hook up. It looks like you could ride to Hot Springs from Douthat but I've never done it. Would be fun to try.

From Hot springs up Delefield Road which turns to dirt up to the Trappers Lodge.

Then the Brushy Ridge Trail around Brushy Mountain

Follow Brushy Mountain Ridge Trail

across Wilson Creek

Then to the road behind Middle mountain and up the switchback climb to the Middle Mountain Ridge Trail!!!

And there you are!

Let me know what you think :D

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's on the list!

Looks good. Maybe 20 - 25 miles there and back without riding much of Douthat.

I've looked at that too and want to give it a try. I've been wanting to explore the area between the Homestead and Douthat for several years now. I've done Delafield Road up to the airport and back when I was there last time, but didn't go down the other side because I was solo and didn't know the area.

I'd also like to ride Douthat one day, and check out two rides nearby which are in the Mt Bike VA book.

I'm staying in Hot Spings. Are going staying there too?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like fun

I'll be heading up there on Friday 5/27 and probably staying in Covington. All the cabins in Douthat have been booked for a while for that weekend. I don't mind camping but I plan on riding alot and would rather have a soft bed to lay my weary bones on!

Maybe we could meet up somewhere on the Homestead (Hot Springs) side on Saturday and do some riding. If I get in on time on Friday I may check out a trail that runs out of Covington up to Peters Ridge to Bald Knob. I could leave Douthat early on Saturday AM and hook up with you in Hot Springs then we could check out some of those other trails. Lemme know what works and what time fits your schedule. 20-25 miles out there is at least 3 hours for me.

PM me with contact info as the day nears if this works out. I'll be up there riding one way or another. The Dos Equis XXCross course for the MMMomma takes those trails I posted off the back off Middle Mountain, but they turn onto Salt Pond Ridge which is almost all the way to the peak behind the ski slope. I went up Delefield LOOOONG ago, there's some good climbin' in them thar' hills! I'm not by any means a lightening fast climber, but thats why I'm headed out there to ride! :D

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James, Icky, John

I'll get to Hot Springs Thursday night. I'll probably ride something shorter and close by on Friday morning. Saturday I'm expecting another friend from NOVA to get in by noon, and we'll look to do around a 3 hour ride Saturday afternoon. Probably just drive over and ride Douthat. Sunday may be a good day for the exploration from the Homestead to Douthat. My "race" pace is sport CLYDE, but clyde mostly due to height and not girth. James and my friend from NOVA will be the faster ones to worry about.

John and I will definately ride together since he's there for the weekend. James and Ick, let me know if something around 1:00 on Saturday at Douthat sounds like something you'd be up for.

I'll PM/email some contact info once I have a number for the place I'm staying at. James and Ick, you should check out the MORE weekend festivities in Stokesville that weekend if you don't want to make the trek to Douthat.

--Will

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
johnbspinnen' said:
I'll be heading up there on Friday 5/27 and probably staying in Covington. All the cabins in Douthat have been booked for a while for that weekend. I don't mind camping but I plan on riding alot and would rather have a soft bed to lay my weary bones on!

Maybe we could meet up somewhere on the Homestead (Hot Springs) side on Saturday and do some riding. If I get in on time on Friday I may check out a trail that runs out of Covington up to Peters Ridge to Bald Knob. I could leave Douthat early on Saturday AM and hook up with you in Hot Springs then we could check out some of those other trails. Lemme know what works and what time fits your schedule. 20-25 miles out there is at least 3 hours for me.

PM me with contact info as the day nears if this works out. I'll be up there riding one way or another. The Dos Equis XXCross course for the MMMomma takes those trails I posted off the back off Middle Mountain, but they turn onto Salt Pond Ridge which is almost all the way to the peak behind the ski slope. I went up Delefield LOOOONG ago, there's some good climbin' in them thar' hills! I'm not by any means a lightening fast climber, but thats why I'm headed out there to ride! :D
John, you've got a PM/email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.