Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes another one of my bright ideas that will probably never see the light of day. How about all of us that post on here meet up for group rides once in a while. I was thinking of something along the lines of meeting once a month on a weekend day. Like for example the first saturday of the month. Then the real hard part would be getting everyones available hours to ride so we can adjust it to the most possible riders. 8AM? afternoons ? what not. I was also thinking rotating the trails by the months from bootleg/cottonwood/cowboy trails or wherever else. Last would be ride length/time. maybe about 2 hours per ride? We can even rotate ride planners to suggest trail route ideas etc.. Guess we can try this format.
Interested?
1-Day of the month?
2-Start time?
3-miles/time/route ideas?

represent YO!

·
desert dweller
1,643 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. BARTA used to meet the 3rd Saturday each month and alternate trail work and riding. It would be fun to set up a basic ride schedule -- and I could put it on the BARTA site as well.

1) Third Saturday
2) 6:30am Summer , 9:00am Winter
3) Route Varies according to weather
4) Throw in an official night ride with KROB every other month or so.

matt

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
January

O.K. I guess we can all put in request. Then i hope to start up the rides for the new year. keep the ideas coming.

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
E ! said:
O.K. I guess we can all put in request. Then i hope to start up the rides for the new year. keep the ideas coming.
I know most of you guys are from Vegas, but any thought to riding elsewhere when the weather is more MTB-friendly? Plenty of good riding around Ely and Reno/Tahoe... we even have a bit of it here. A northeastern Nevada loop with rides in Ely, Lamoille, Austin could be fun.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Mountaingirl1961 said:
I know most of you guys are from Vegas, but any thought to riding elsewhere when the weather is more MTB-friendly? Plenty of good riding around Ely and Reno/Tahoe... we even have a bit of it here. A northeastern Nevada loop with rides in Ely, Lamoille, Austin could be fun.
Agreed. We should have an Ely and/or Elko mini-gathering next summer sometime. Mid to late june is usually ideal. Snow has mostly melted and the wild flowers are in bloom.

·
desert dweller
1,643 Posts
I always get a little riding in Carson City/Tahoe area each year. Summer next year sucks for me though. With our baby due :) in the end of June I'll be Vegas locked for most of the summer. :(

Maybe a couple of quick getaways to lands north in July or August after the arrival would work for me. I also didn't want to go to Summer Camp for our Scout Encampment next summer either.

mbb

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
KRob said:
Agreed. We should have an Ely and/or Elko mini-gathering next summer sometime. Mid to late june is usually ideal. Snow has mostly melted and the wild flowers are in bloom.
Let's hold that thought. I rode Ward Mtn and the Ruby Crest Trail both last summer in June/July, and the flowers were amazing. I have never ever seen wildflowers like we had on the Crest Trail last summer.

That new connector on Ward makes for some fast 'n' furious fun for youse guys. Bet the Vegas crowd would get a large kick out of that one... once they stopped gasping for air because of the altitude...

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
c'mon now

Any ideas from the regulars?

mountaingirl. As far as getting up north. I know Redmon's shuttle service runs irregular intervals throughout the year.
Price per ticket is a soft pillow and warm hand. LOL!
This is getting outta hand...

Attachments

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
380 Posts
E ! said:
Price per ticket is a soft pillow and warm hand. LOL!
This is getting outta hand...
Nice sheets...........I think Redmon is going to try and bribe me with Dead Guy Ale! Now he has moved around the corner from me and sends his friend over to work on his bike just to see if my girlfriend is home.......Gettin' creepy.

Sure, I'm in and I think we should do something like this FOTP

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1384507#post1384507

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
jmitchell said:

Ah yes. The Flight of the Pigs in Phoenix looks like a very cool event. It would be fun to do in Vegas, connecting Cowboy trails to Cottonwood then over to Bootleg. We'd need a new creative name though.... any suggestions? How about, "Spooners Unite!" :D

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a smaller ride

jmitchell said:
Nice sheets...........I think Redmon is going to try and bribe me with Dead Guy Ale! Now he has moved around the corner from me and sends his friend over to work on his bike just to see if my girlfriend is home.......Gettin' creepy.

It is no FOTP though. It is called the blue diamond epic!
Where were you at man? Let me guess, cuddled up under the sheets. HAH!

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
380 Posts
E ! said:
It is no FOTP though. It is called the blue diamond epic!
Where were you at man? Let me guess, cuddled up under the sheets. HAH!
Why, oh why, did Redmon ever have to start this......................

We'll call FOTS then, and dandle spoons from our seats

p.s. I would have been the one holding the camera

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,158 Posts
You guys are out of control! I would definetely do some road tripping to the northern part of the state. I figure by spring I'll have the new house mostly squared away so I can take some long weekends for riding. Im going to start sleeping in my truck cause I dont trust you bastards! Besides, the spooning was all Beagles(Matt) idea!!!!!!!:)

Shawn

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
380 Posts
Yep, another perfectly good post ruined by a silver spoon.......

Since we are on the topic......the previous owner of my Trek 8500 had fabricated an anti-chain suck device out of a spoon. It's a shame I took if off. Maybe I'll give it to Redmon for Christmas.

Could someone please do a search and find out the first person who mentioned "spooning" in the Nevada forum please?

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
I always get a little riding in Carson City/Tahoe area each year. Summer next year sucks for me though. With our baby due :) in the end of June I'll be Vegas locked for most of the summer. :(

Maybe a couple of quick getaways to lands north in July or August after the arrival would work for me. I also didn't want to go to Summer Camp for our Scout Encampment next summer either.

mbb
You guys will like our part of the world in July and August - you don't have to ride at 6AM to enjoy yourself!

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Sounds great to me :) Harry's weekend day off switches to Sunday next year, so if the rides are scheduled on Sundays that would be great. Saturday would work for just me though... except tax season where I have to work some Saturdays :p

Either way, I'd like to get some group rides in... I learned from the Blue Diamond epic that I have enough stamina for rides of that length, I'm just slow as hell. I need to start riding with other people so I can improve.

- Jen

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
mahgnillig said:
Sounds great to me :) Harry's weekend day off switches to Sunday next year, so if the rides are scheduled on Sundays that would be great. Saturday would work for just me though... except tax season where I have to work some Saturdays :p

Either way, I'd like to get some group rides in... I learned from the Blue Diamond epic that I have enough stamina for rides of that length, I'm just slow as hell. I need to start riding with other people so I can improve.

- Jen
I would too and for the same reasons you've stated, although I feel fairly intimidated about it because I'm so slow! That whole old lady thing. Perhaps I'll watch the rides you're doing and we can be slow and try to improve together!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts